Live from the Regal Princess: British Isles Cruise July 7-19 2023

Barbara B

Hi everyone! Feeling better and here we are on the last two days of the cruise. Today we are at sea, and I'll write about that later. I need to catch up!

Day 8 was another sea day. It was not a formal night (we'd already had the first of the two earlier). It was a day to catch up, to sleep in. Notable was eating in the Allegro and not our usual MDR. We had a later reservation due to my needing to lead something on the ship at our usual dining time (and that we'd not planned for) so I had to switch around our reservations.

Our cabin is mid-forward (BTW: a fantastic location and accessible to both the forward and midships elevators with only short walks). Anyway, we normally eat in the Concerto, which is forward on 7 (we're on 15). To get to Allegro was much more circuitous (except if--as we figured out you walked the entire length of the ship on 15 to the aft elevators--then go down to 7). Otherwise, you're going up down and up again (or something like that!)

Anyway, we arrived in time for our 7:20 reservation and encountered a line for the first time on the ship in all our dining!!! A lot of folks with reservations were in line while it seemed that numbers of folks were jumping the line and going right into the dining room. The host explained (I think, though it was hard to comprehend) that those people at the same time in Allegro each night and therefore did not have to wait. Huh??? Please--someone explain this!

Anyway, we skipped the show and went back to our room to prep for coming into Ivergordon the next day.

Day 9: Invergordon/Scottish Highlands

Today we had an early half-day excursion in the Scottish Highlands. What incredibly beautiful country. The only disappointment was not seeing any of those furry Highland cattle 😞 Saw lots of sheep and cows, but not the Highland variety.

We had a quick breakfast at the International Cafe. Lattes to go (12 oz) and almond croissants along with juice smoothies before we left. Got two bottles of water each to take along as well.

We made our way to the Falls of Shin up a two-lane highway amid fields of heather. We stopped on the way at Struie Viewpoint. It was a gorgeous lookout with a spectacular view. We got to the river Shin, but saw no salmon, sadly, as it was just not quite the season. I've seen salmon (sockeye) in Alaska, both maneuvering the stream (like rush hour on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago) and leaping, complete with fishing bears, but this was not to be here.

C51006A3-989B-438D-80B0-41C6BB81CF70.thumb.jpeg.86f43454c2f2f5f9d8b868639749cd89.jpeg

874552ED-3A37-4D9E-9383-26B42321B9FD.thumb.jpeg.9076b8177770da4355c6444d0c133bd4.jpeg

IMG_2022.jpeg.82d4adee13e5285ac88fc6fba1382994.jpeg

8146F3F2-33B1-46DB-AC69-1C1FF93BBFF4.thumb.jpeg.a41013386ef327bc8ed4e33391c2093b.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg.f82a9e0c3d461b1c6232e480951fd1b3.jpeg

We were off next to the small town of Dornoch with its 13th Century Cathedral, the Old Town Jail. Did a bit of shopping in the local store. The return trip was just as lovely as we passed by steep hillsides, mountains in the distance, waterfalls, etc. A lovely morning's drive.

6BDBAD7A-E077-4A3F-A53A-DE089345088B.thumb.jpeg.c2604753b8f9cb92d557cbbf74828898.jpeg

We rested in the afternoon and dined at Concerto at our usual time!

19EF723A-9789-44A4-822A-7AC03C151BD5.jpeg

AA1DCCF8-811A-429D-97B0-ECB9CC9F29AD.jpeg

3AFC980C-6935-41F7-943C-9C011F1F185C.jpeg

4A4A06F8-567C-4A41-90A2-B5443DB0F56F.jpeg

28431C87-7488-4BF5-9180-1C6457EDA655.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2017.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

• Like 4

To Explain The Dining: It’s still possible to have the same reservation time and table every night so they just are walking to their assigned table. I had that on my last few cruises so we just walked to our table

2 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

To Explain The Dining: It’s still possible to have the same reservation time and table every night so they just are walking to their assigned table. I had that on my last few cruises so we just walked to our table

Yes that was our experience on Emerald Princess last Christmas/New Year’s. The first night they took us to a table that we didn’t like so we asked for a change and they found us a lovely table in a section that was almost all tables for two and told us we could have that for the rest of the two weeks. Every night when we walked right in, the hostess would greet us and say that Table 60 was ready for us.

So glad that you are feeling better and are able to continue with your explorations!  Where you went from Invergordon is the area we would go if we do this itinerary again.  So much to see, it's all beautiful!  Oh and since you missed the Hairy Coos (Highland Cows) here's one for you.  We saw them near the boarding area for the Loch Ness boat tours.  We didn't take the boat but our guide stopped so that we could feed the three females there.

IMG_E2102.JPG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

So glad that you are feeling better and are able to continue with your explorations!  Where you went from Invergordon is the area we would go if we do this itinerary again.  So much to see, it's all beautiful!  Oh and since you missed the Hairy Coos (Highland Cows) here's one for you.  We saw them near the boarding area for the Loch Ness boat tours.  We didn't take the boat but our guide stopped so that we could feed the three females there.

IMG_E2102.JPG

I hope to see these beauties in person!

Edited by jrmende63
  • Like 1

Day 12

July 18

We booked a private journey to Normandy with a group we met on CC a couple months ago. There were 8 of us total and the organizer booked with Overland Tours, which specializes in Normandy WWII tours. Our guide Antoine was incredibly knowledgable about everything from the landmarks to the battle itself. It was not the cheapest trip, but with eight of us, it was perfect (and an all day excursions from 8-6:30 when we came back to the ship.

The itinerary was flexible with four choices and choices within choices. We started at the furthest point St. Marie Eglise where the Airborn museum stands. It is absolutely huge and one could easily spend a full day there. Antoine guided us through the museum and set up the battle scenario so that when we go to the beach itself (Omaha in this case) we understood the logistics of the D-Day invasion.

We had lunch at a local cafe and the food was excellent. After lunch we visited a small church where a couple of young American medics tended to the paratroopers injured. The story was fascinating as was the church. Several of the church's stained glass windows were of paratroopers and the invasion. So interesting.

We also visited another church, and again, stained glass depicting the invasion was there among the more conventional stained glass windows you might expect in a catholic church.

We visited Omaha Beach; the one jarring thing was that -- it is a public beach, complete with summertime sunbathers, swimmers, surfers and picnickers. The beach is huge and the dunes behind it immense. We saw where the Germans hunkered down at the tops of cliffs and the massive amount of work needed to defeat them there.

Next we came to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach. This was enormous and solemn.

Unfortunately, I packed Pentax (which I used to shoot most of the pictures) in our bags 😞 so I will have to post some of the photos when I return to the States. 

All aboard was 7:30 and we also needed to finish our packing. So we packed up tagged and placed our bags in the hall. 

Dinner at the concerto was lovely.. We started with some fine Champagne from the Premiere menu and capped it off with the classic last night Baked Alaska.

Tomorrow we're off at 8:00 to the airport.

It has been fun blogging from Regal, and once I'm home, I will put together some tips and tricks for the cruise--especially newbies and those who have not cruised in awhile.

for now, A bientot from the English Channel just west of LeHavre, listening to the waves spash with the balcony door full wide open on this gorgeous summer's eve.

IMG_2074.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi everyone!

Just a short addendum. First, thank you everyone for reading and commenting, liking, etc. 

I came home Thursday night after a horrible experience with Heathrow. Our flight was caught up in the major Heathrow baggage malfunction and one of our suitcases is still missing. It should be delivered today or tomorrow.

I also came home with an unexpected souvenir. After my negative COVID test when I was sniffly on Sunday, I was still a bit sniffly (nothing too dire). Took another test before we visited family to distribute gifties. And...guess what? COVID!

Only me and not DH. I think I must've gotten it on the last day or two. It was my first case of COVID ever, so it was a bit of a surprise. I'm fully and well vaccinated. My case seems mild with only a very low grade fever (99), no cough--just fatigue and a stuffy nose. Like a headcold.

My advice to EVERYONE: test when you get home.

Signing off for now. Been binging on Band of Brothers (which I'd never seen) to learn a bit more about the D-Day invasion and end of WWII.

• Like 3

For us, it made sense my D H, and I each have multiple Wi-Fi devices, so the add-on for the premium package made sense. Add to that the specialty dinners and some of the other perks. We’re not heavy drinkers, but it was fun to get a high quality champagne For dinner and not worry about the price of any drink. we’ve just we’ve just booked a cruise for summer 2025, and haven’t yet decided whether it will be a plus or premium package, but we have time to decide. But for us really the kicker was the Wi-Fi package.

1 hour ago, barbara barnett said:

For us, it made sense my D H, and I each have multiple Wi-Fi devices, so the add-on for the premium package made sense. Add to that the specialty dinners and some of the other perks. We’re not heavy drinkers, but it was fun to get a high quality champagne For dinner and not worry about the price of any drink. we’ve just we’ve just booked a cruise for summer 2025, and haven’t yet decided whether it will be a plus or premium package, but we have time to decide. But for us really the kicker was the Wi-Fi package.

Regarding the wifi, my understanding is that you can use multiple devices but only be logged into one at a time.  If I log into my computer I won't be logged into my iPhone etc.  That always works for us so don't see the need for multiple wifi package unless you are travelling with family perhaps.  I just looked at the upgrade price and definitely not worth it for us 🙂

On 7/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, Barbara B said:

Hi everyone!

Just a short addendum. First, thank you everyone for reading and commenting, liking, etc. 

I came home Thursday night after a horrible experience with Heathrow. Our flight was caught up in the major Heathrow baggage malfunction and one of our suitcases is still missing. It should be delivered today or tomorrow.

I also came home with an unexpected souvenir. After my negative COVID test when I was sniffly on Sunday, I was still a bit sniffly (nothing too dire). Took another test before we visited family to distribute gifties. And...guess what? COVID!

Only me and not DH. I think I must've gotten it on the last day or two. It was my first case of COVID ever, so it was a bit of a surprise. I'm fully and well vaccinated. My case seems mild with only a very low grade fever (99), no cough--just fatigue and a stuffy nose. Like a headcold.

My advice to EVERYONE: test when you get home.

Signing off for now. Been binging on Band of Brothers (which I'd never seen) to learn a bit more about the D-Day invasion and end of WWII.

Been there!

Last summer on the last day of 2 wk cruise I was pretty tired...but thought, hey, been having a good time on a cruise for 2 weeks, not totally surprised!

Next day woke with plugged ear & drainage.

Wore mask home on plane JUST to be cautious--but I really felt fine.

Took test b4 going to see elderly father.

YEP COVID.

2nd time--had it Jan 2022. Sheer exhaustion & nasty headache for 5 days, then felt fine. DH never tested positive. 

This time, I felt FINE--cleaned garage the next day!

But a "COVID kit"--tests, meds, etc. goes on every trip now.

Feel better!

Thx for your great TR!

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for taking us along with you on your cruise. We are doing the same one a year from now and will use lots of your info in choosing our excursions and planning our days. Sorry you caught the Covid hitchhiker at the end and hope you're felling better now.

4 minutes ago, CanuckCurlers said:

Thanks so much for taking us along with you on your cruise. We are doing the same one a year from now and will use lots of your info in choosing our excursions and planning our days. Sorry you caught the Covid hitchhiker at the end and hope you're felling better now.

Beginning to turn the corner on Covid. Thanks for asking and so glad that my live blog has been helpful. We are planning our next cruise for two years from now traveling from Southampton to Iceland and over to Atlantic Canada before disembarking in Boston. I will be looking for peoples Blogs on that itinerary and hope I can be helpful when we take that trip as well. Enjoy the cruise.