South Africa White Night

Werangels

It will not be known until after you board and even then the night could change for a variety of reasons (weather, access to fresh supplies).  They will try and hold it on a night when the cruise does not leave port until after 2000

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, uktog said:

It will not be known until after you board and even then the night could change for a variety of reasons (weather, access to fresh supplies).  They will try and hold it on a night when the cruise does not leave port until after 2000

Thanks UKtog, hence why I said usually!  We all know changes can happen but things are scheduled for certain nights and knowing can make a difference on what excursion you might chose to take.  For instance, I fancy high tea at the Oyster Box in Durban but, I don’t want to book it and pig out only to find its White Night on the same night! 

53 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Would love to know this information also.  South Africa will be our first Azamara cruise.

How fantastic.  Which one are you on?  Have you joined your roll call?  

I have a few questions such as this I can’t find answers for.  I have searched everywhere on here including ports, etc for answers.  I’m starting to plan for Xmas as we will be spending nearly a month in total, so I do need to budget and also make sure we have a mix of activities. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 11:34 AM, Werangels said:

Hello

Can anyone tell me please which evening White Night usually takes place?  The itinerary seems to follow the same route on every cruise.

Thanks lots.

DW and I sailed the 12nt R/T Cape Town South Africa Intensive on the Journey earlier this year.  Fantastic trip!  Enjoyed it very much.  Our White Night charcoal bbq & deck party was at Richard's Bay, where our departure time was rather late.  We dined on Deck 10 facing away from port looking down on all the festivities on 9.  Great fun!  You mustn't miss the freshly made crepes suzettes which are across the deck (9) from the grills and main portion of the buffet.  The evening was delightful and first class!  Wishing you an enjoyable trip!

1 hour ago, mdeegooden said:

DW and I sailed the 12nt R/T Cape Town South Africa Intensive on the Journey earlier this year.  Fantastic trip!  Enjoyed it very much.  Our White Night charcoal bbq & deck party was at Richard's Bay, where our departure time was rather late.  We dined on Deck 10 facing away from port looking down on all the festivities on 9.  Great fun!  You mustn't miss the freshly made crepes suzettes which are across the deck (9) from the grills and main portion of the buffet.  The evening was delightful and first class!  Wishing you an enjoyable trip!

That sounds lovely.  Thank you, 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mdeegooden!  You said you just finished a 12 night cruise so am wondering if you could answer a question for me:  while on the cruise does the cruise ship offer excursions that are game drives in order to see the big 5? I can't see any excursion information online.  Pls let me know. Tx 

2 minutes ago, dmwood4 said:

Hello mdeegooden!  You said you just finished a 12 night cruise so am wondering if you could answer a question for me:  while on the cruise does the cruise ship offer excursions that are game drives in order to see the big 5? I can't see any excursion information online.  Pls let me know. Tx 

Please don't shout on every post [large type and bold].  Also know that when you paste, the website can't adjust your post to different types of screens which may make your post unreadable for some members.  Default font, default size and default color are the best choices.

16 hours ago, dmwood4 said:

Hi "dmwood4," yes when we weren't off exploring on our own, we choose Azamara's excursions.  We were fortunate to have quite a bit of OBC w/ the booking and were happy to use it on the ship's tours.  While in South Africa we chose two day-safaris, the first Pumba and the second Thula Thula.  Both were excellent but Pumba was really outstanding, first class.  We sailed early February and the weather was nice just about the entire trip and very good for seeing the animals and scenery out in the bush.  Azamara offers several day-safari options, so it's good you're researching your choices. If you still cannot find excursion information through Azamara's website, I would recommend you contact customer service (if you booked directly) or your travel agent otherwise to assist. This was our first trip to Africa, first safari, and first time w/ Azamara.  Taken all together, it was a most memorable and enjoyable vacation.  Still puts a smile on my face thinking about it!  Wishing you safe travels and happy cruising!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mdeegooden said:

Hi "dmwood4," yes when we weren't off exploring on our own, we choose Azamara's excursions.  We were fortunate to have quite a bit of OBC w/ the booking and were happy to use it on the ship's tours.  While in South Africa we chose two day-safaris, the first Pumba and the second Thula Thula.  Both were excellent but Pumba was really outstanding, first class.  We sailed early February and the weather was nice just about the entire trip and very good for seeing the animals and scenery out in the bush.  Azamara offers several day-safari options, so it's good you're researching your choices. If you still cannot find excursion information through Azamara's website, I would recommend you contact customer service (if you booked directly) or your travel agent otherwise to assist. This was our first trip to Africa, first safari, and first time w/ Azamara.  Taken all together, it was a most memorable and enjoyable vacation.  Still puts a smile on my face thinking about it!  Wishing you safe travels and happy cruising!

Thula and Pumba are the ones we are doing.  Pumba with the ship and Thula independently.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Thula and Pumba are the ones we are doing.  Pumba with the ship and Thula independently.  

We did Pumba with Crystal before Azamara started the South African cruises, if the Azamara tour is the same have to agree it was excellent but if it includes lunch beware of the monkeys. We have booked South Africa with Azamara for 2025 but there are no tours showing at the moment if they are offering Pumba we won’t hesitate to book it again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Riocca said:

We did Pumba with Crystal before Azamara started the South African cruises, if the Azamara tour is the same have to agree it was excellent but if it includes lunch beware of the monkeys. We have booked South Africa with Azamara for 2025 but there are no tours showing at the moment if they are offering Pumba we won’t hesitate to book it again.

Haha!  I will watch my bag 😬!

We are doing a fair amount of wildlife.  We are out for just under a month and are also doing a 2 night cruise on the Chobe River and are staying on the Victoria Falls Private Reserve, so we should be ‘wildlife’d out’ after all that! 

Thula Thula is one of the main reasons for doing the cruise.  Having read Lawrence Anthony and Francois books; I have to visit.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Werangels said:

We are doing a fair amount of wildlife.  We are out for just under a month and are also doing a 2 night cruise on the Chobe River and are staying on the Victoria Falls Private Reserve, so we should be ‘wildlife’d out’ after all that! 

Thula Thula is one of the main reasons for doing the cruise.  Having read Lawrence Anthony and Francois books; I have to visit.  

Not so much your bag but if you look away the food will be gone off your plate, they had plenty of staff on monkey watch but the little blighters are extremely fast. Our driver was the son of the owners and extremely knowledgeable, it’s lovely to be up close to the wildlife.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Werangels said:

We did a land trip in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia a few years ago. During the trip we stayed 5 nights at a lodge along the Chobe River and the game viewing was incredible! We did game viewing from both land and river, and saw so much wildlife every time. Being on the water and watching herds of elephants (including several babies!) come down to the river to bathe, drink, play was magical. I think you will have an amazing journey. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terry&mike said:

We did a land trip in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia a few years ago. During the trip we stayed 5 nights at a lodge along the Chobe River and the game viewing was incredible! We did game viewing from both land and river, and saw so much wildlife every time. Being on the water and watching herds of elephants (including several babies!) come down to the river to bathe, drink, play was magical. I think you will have an amazing journey. 

Thank you.  That is great to hear.  Just what we are hoping for!  The Chobe cruise was the main reason, we didn’t chose Addo as we hope to be fully Elephant sated at Chobe and also Thula Thula! 

• Like 1