Is Galataport as daunting as it seems?

celvalliere

We are a group of 6 embarking at Galataport on July 17th. Since this will be our first experience embarking from Istanbul we have been trying to familiarize ourselves with embarkation procedures to minimize confusion  at check-in. Our research has shown Galataport to be huge (restaurants, shopping etc) but we have not found much detail on how to navigate through the terminal and what we can anticipate for guidance/assistance. Can anyone who has embarked in Istanbul provide us with more guidance/tips and reassurance that it will be easier than it currently seems? 

We did not embark there but had an overnight stay. It is huge and for the most part seemed like a ghost town.  The port is actually underground and the stores and all are above it at ground level, etc.  it was rather difficult to find entrances to go underground. Once in the actual port O had signs pointing directions to go and personnel also. I’m sure this would be even more robust for an embarkation.

• Thanks 1

We recently did this with Seabourn.  We thought it would be daunting but was rather easy.

Step 1 - The biggest issue is finding a taxi or hotel driver that knows where they are going. The cruise departures have a separate turn off inside the facility and takes you to a special floor, if you find your self going among parked cars you are in the wrong area.  Our taxi was one of those who knew not, and we found some porters and took the elevator to the correct floor.

Step 2 -- bag drop off.  They will dog sniff your luggage and once OK you can enter the building where you will go through security

Step 3 Check in -- get your boarding pass or cruise card.  On Seabourn we were given a paper card and the real stateroom card was in our cabin. 

Step 4 -- go to the ship but if you are first embarking -- you go to the left and passport control. 

Step 5 - walk to the ship. Can be the longest or shortest.  Port holds 4 ships.  They have concrete barricades that are hydraulically lifted to separate the passengers form the general public in the Galata port.  Each vessel is separated in such a manner.  If you are in spot 1 -- shortest 1 walk, spot 4 longest walk.

The signs in the port are very well done so most people will not get lost.

• Thanks 3

This information is very helpful. Knowing in advance what to expect (steps) and having reassurance that Oceania representatives are available on site is reassuring. Now it appears that all we need is a taxi driver that knows where to drop us off. My DH appreciates all the pointers/input since I decided to put HIM in charge of ground transportation

• Like 1

We came in on a bus from an Oceania pre cruise tour. It was still hectic and port security moved the bus around a couple of times. It ended up being quite the walk from where we were dropped off to go through the security and immigration maze and onto the ship. For those mobility impaired, or choosing to carry aboard very much, it was tedious. 

The nearly mile walk in the airport from the arrival gate to baggage claim is a good warm up exercise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How long has this port been used there? I don't remember any of this. We were there in 2013. Seems we pulled up on the street, gave the porters our bags and went in a building, then to the ship. 

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

How long has this port been used there? I don't remember any of this. We were there in 2013. Seems we pulled up on the street, gave the porters our bags and went in a building, then to the ship. 

I believe it opened just after Covid. Everything was all new and shiny.

There were two other ships at dock on our Embarkation Day. Not sure how much that added. My only advice is to be ready for a lengthy walk and carry or lug no more than absolutely necessary. Let the porters take care of it. We did get all porter checked baggage promptly delivered to our cabin door within 45 minutes or so of boarding .

• Thanks 1

Was just there last week. Very confusing. Taxis are a big pain as they always ask for more when you get picked up. So you start every ride with a negotiation. Most taxis won’t go to the correct place in part because that takes a lot of extra time and a Ticket to drop you off. We got dropped off on the main drag by a “glass box”. We walked through there and then no signage anywhere. However if you walk straight a head, you will see a sign on a glass door “Galataport”. From the doorway it looks like an office building. Once you get inside their is a big electric sign that shows the ships in port. Crazy but you can’t see it from the door! We saw no other signage outside (we walked and walked originally with our suitcases looking and finally a police officer said where are you going. He ended up taking us back towards this “magic door”. 

Once inside the signage is relatively good. You go down escalators or elevators and then up again. It is confusing. Keep asking everyone. 

• Thanks 1

We embark on Monday. We have formed a great relationship with the staff at our hotel and plan to utilize their assistance in procuring a taxi so hopefully we will not be at risk from shady drivers. While I am cautiously optimistic that there will be Oceania representatives available to provide direction, I remain concerned with the amount of walking that will be required and the absence people transporters for the more senior members of our traveling party.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:26 PM, celvalliere said:

We embark on Monday. We have formed a great relationship with the staff at our hotel and plan to utilize their assistance in procuring a taxi so hopefully we will not be at risk from shady drivers. While I am cautiously optimistic that there will be Oceania representatives available to provide direction, I remain concerned with the amount of walking that will be required and the absence people transporters for the more senior members of our traveling party.

We are in relatively good shape and did find it daunting while here for an overnight AND departure.  The walk to the buses for disembarkation took a toll....especially as we had our carry-ons to haul.  So I totally agree with the previous poster to send as much as possible with the porters.  

• Thanks 1

We disembarked from a Viking cruise back in November 2022, and yes, the place was definitively daunting in many ways.  The hikes to and from the ship would be the joy of any marathoner, the maze of pickup/dropoff points would keep any lab rat well occupied, and precious little signage to help. We ran the gauntlet 3 times (overnight port), trying to keep an eye out for where we'd eventually have to meet our WelcomePickups driver, to no avail.  Luckily, we ran into an employee (in the middle of nowhere) who spoke English and walked way out of her way to show us where to meet the transfer driver.  (Of course, we had to agree to purchase a carpet...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/15/2023 at 4:26 PM, celvalliere said:

I hope you made the journey to the port in OK fashion.

We made it!

We worked with our hotel to get a taxi that knew in advance where he was going.A huge plus. We were dropped off in what seemed to be an underground parking garage with a big glass entryway. Although there was no representative from Oceania to point us in the right direction, there were security guards who asked to see our passports and boarding passes then told to proceed to the station where the porters would check our bags. To make a long long journey short, we walked down numerous hallways, up an escalator, up a ramp, across a platform all while  passing through 2 security screenings and a requirement to show our passport 4 times. I did not see any motorized transporter available for anyone with mobility challenges. We were the only ship in port and I would dread to see what it would be like trying to process 10,000 passengers. 

Thanks to everyone who provided input prior to our departure. It helped having some insight as to what we could expect (although 4 passport checks does seem excessive). If I visit Istanbul again it will be by air and not by sea.