Manfredi’s

friendlyfifer

I have been an advocate for menu changes for some time. My wish has been granted but I am left disappointed by the new menu. It is clearly a cheaper menu to produce with lobster, crab and salmon all missing. My next Viking cruise is later this year and I will be deciding whether or not to try another luxury cruise line.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

I have been an advocate for menu changes for some time. My wish has been granted but I am left disappointed by the new menu. It is clearly a cheaper menu to produce with lobster, crab and salmon all missing. My next Viking cruise is later this year and I will be deciding whether or not to try another luxury cruise line.

What’s that saying, “Be careful what you wish for…”?

In Europe salmon is one of the cheapest fish, particularly the lower quality mass catering packs. Mainly because of fish farming (those circular pen things near to the coast) 

Cod, haddock and even whiting are more expensive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

No, it’s saying Viking have perhaps cheapened the menu too much for me and perhaps for others. 

I was just joking. You stated, “I have been an advocate for menu changes for some time. My wish has been granted…”. I totally agree with you regarding the changes, as my husband’s favorite, chicken parmigiana is gone and so is my boneless ribeye. If I could delete my comment I would. Sorry if my attempt at a joke upset you. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

No, it’s saying Viking have perhaps cheapened the menu too much for me and perhaps for others. 

On our British Isles cruise last month, we had cold seafood in the WC every night, surf & turf with cold water lobster tails one night, and a jumbo warm water tail in the Restaurant one night. Not cheap.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

I was just joking. You stated, “I have been an advocate for menu changes for some time. My wish has been granted…”. I totally agree with you regarding the changes, as my husband’s favorite, chicken parmigiana is gone and so is my boneless ribeye. If I could delete my comment I would. Sorry if my attempt at a joke upset you. 

Apologies I must have been having a sensitive moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

On our British Isles cruise last month, we had cold seafood in the WC every night, surf & turf with cold water lobster tails one night, and a jumbo warm water tail in the Restaurant one night. Not cheap.

My post was about the old versus the new menu in Manfredi’s not about what is or is not available in other dining venues,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

My post was about the old versus the new menu in Manfredi’s not about what is or is not available in other dining venues,

But you said:

8 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

Viking have perhaps cheapened the menu too much for me and perhaps for others. 

That’s what I was reacting to - cheapening food.

• Like 2

We cancelled our Manfredi’s res. when the fish of the day was something less appealing to us than the fish in The Restaurant. And when on a ten-night cruise, The Restaurant has halibut offered three nights, plus an ahi tuna, a Dover sole, a red snapper and a Chilean sea bass, it doesn’t sound like they’re in a cost-cutting frame of mind. We also had a foie gras appetizer and a soft-shell crab, as well as duck and chicken liver pate. Of course that last, along with a halibut soup, show how nicely guests can dine, when the kitchen is careful to use everything they’re given.

I had read about disappointments at Manfredi’s on various ships, so I decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Maybe next time. We’re looking forward to 16 nights on that one! 

• Like 3

This is our first ocean cruise on Viking and I anxiously awaited our booking time and planned everything out. After seeing the new menu (and hearing about the steak disappointment) and seeing that several of the Chef's Table menus are seafood heavy - not sure i can drag my DH to either of them. Of course, he hates to wait in line too.... so maybe he will starve!

2 hours ago, May B said:

We cancelled our Manfredi’s res. when the fish of the day was something less appealing to us than the fish in The Restaurant. And when on a ten-night cruise, The Restaurant has halibut offered three nights, plus an ahi tuna, a Dover sole, a red snapper and a Chilean sea bass, it doesn’t sound like they’re in a cost-cutting frame of mind. We also had a foie gras appetizer and a soft-shell crab, as well as duck and chicken liver pate. Of course that last, along with a halibut soup, show how nicely guests can dine, when the kitchen is careful to use everything they’re given.

I had read about disappointments at Manfredi’s on various ships, so I decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Maybe next time. We’re looking forward to 16 nights on that one! 

Chilean sea bass = Patagonian tooth fish.

• Like 1

My partner had something that resembled chicken parmigiana on our just completed cruise one night? I can’t recall what was it was on the menu but have included a photo. 

We went to Manfredi’s three times in the fourteen day cruise; was our favourite. 

IMG_6752.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, May B said:

I agree, the food is of a high quality in the restaurant. Manfredi’s is a speciality restaurant that now falls short of ‘special’.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murt22 said:

This is our first ocean cruise on Viking and I anxiously awaited our booking time and planned everything out. After seeing the new menu (and hearing about the steak disappointment) and seeing that several of the Chef's Table menus are seafood heavy - not sure i can drag my DH to either of them. Of course, he hates to wait in line too.... so maybe he will starve!

Don’t let my negative comments put you off. You will love Viking and the crew will cater for any dietary wishes you have.

Personally I don't understand the hype around Manfredi's now or in the past.  

We prefer the Chef's Table and on any cruise we will book every menu - regardless of the theme - in The Chef's Table.

This is going to bring on the haters, but we are not on Viking to eat "North American" food.  I know that Manfredi's is Italian, but it is what we have all over North America.  We are on a cruise in a different part of the world to experience different cuisine not eat the same as we do at home.  Steak, pasta, and seafood prepared for a North American palate is not what we are after.

The fact is that Manfredi's menu is too static for our tastes.  

Again - don't know the hype.  We try to eat in Manfredi's once during a cruise but don't care if we miss it either.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

I agree, the food is of a high quality in the restaurant. Manfredi’s is a speciality restaurant that now falls short of ‘special’.

At least the price is right...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Next year, we will do doing our first ocean cruise on Viking. After seeing the new menu at Manfredi’s we are not thrilled with it. Does The Restaurant offer many tables for 2? I understand reservations are not available. This being said, are tables for 2 hard to get? In addition, can you order room service for dinner from The Restaurant menu?

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Personally I don't understand the hype around Manfredi's now or in the past.  

We prefer the Chef's Table and on any cruise we will book every menu - regardless of the theme - in The Chef's Table.

This is going to bring on the haters, but we are not on Viking to eat "North American" food.  I know that Manfredi's is Italian, but it is what we have all over North America.  We are on a cruise in a different part of the world to experience different cuisine not eat the same as we do at home.  Steak, pasta, and seafood prepared for a North American palate is not what we are after.

The fact is that Manfredi's menu is too static for our tastes.  

Again - don't know the hype.  We try to eat in Manfredi's once during a cruise but don't care if we miss it either.

I agree wholeheartedly with your views. We aim to eat at The Chef’s Table each time there is a menu change. Good Italian food is readily available in the UK so Viking have to pull out all the stops in this, what is now, mediocre restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richardbohn said:

Next year, we will do doing our first ocean cruise on Viking. After seeing the new menu at Manfredi’s we are not thrilled with it. Does The Restaurant offer many tables for 2? I understand reservations are not available. This being said, are tables for 2 hard to get? In addition, can you order room service for dinner from The Restaurant menu?

We had a table of two three times on our recent cruise and quite private each time. 

• Like 3