Should I let Royal Caribbean pick my cabin?

jonyboy

3 hours ago, jonyboy said:

I'm new to Royal Caribbean, booking through a TA who told me it would be an additional $1200 to pick my own cabin instead of letting them pick it.  Seems a bit steep to me

If you will be happy with the least expensive cabin in the CATEGORY (such as: inside, obstructed view, ocean view, veranda, suite, etc.)  YOU SELECT, you might want to save that money.

A glass half empty person would say that picking a specific cabin will cost you $1,200, while a glass half full person would feel that letting the line assign the cabin (in whichever category you select) will save you $1,200..

Edited by navybankerteacher

3 hours ago, jonyboy said:

I'm new to Royal Caribbean, booking through a TA who told me it would be an additional $1200 to pick my own cabin instead of letting them pick it.  Seems a bit steep to me

Early on, I booked a Holland America TransAtlantic from a mail-order travel agent which only sold by Category. When I realized that the smallest interior only had one small chair for sitting (in addition to the bed), I upgraded us to Oceanview for a loveseat and the chair. The room was fine, but it was under the nightclub!!! That was my last Guarantee. Even if it cost steep bucks.

So check the location of the worst room you might get, not just its size on the deckplan.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you will be happy with the least expensive cabin in the CATEGORY (such as: inside, obstructed view, ocean view, veranda, suite, etc.)  YOU SELECT, you might want to save that money.

A glass half empty person would say that picking a specific cabin will cost you $1,200, while a glass half full person would feel that letting the line assign the cabin (in whichever category you select) will save you $1,200..

It will be a balcony room, we know that much

35 minutes ago, jonyboy said:

It will be a balcony room, we know that much

Then I would suggest you carefully check the ship’s deck plans.  It is unlikely (but I suppose possible) that there might be some obstruction - such as a lifeboat - which would make the balcony less enjoyable.  Other than there being a serious obstruction, you may very well be happy to give up choice of deck level or position on the ship to save yourself $1,200.

There are some very selective cruisers - who want a specific cabin, particular deck, side of ship, distance from bow or stern, etc. and are willing to pay for such choice.

We have booked guarantee cabins a few times, including on Royal Caribbean. You might wind up with a partially obstructed view (looking down over a lifeboat, for example), or a long walk from the nearest stairwell or elevator, or maybe at the far front or far back of the ship where there is more motion. If none of those things are going to ruin your cruise, then save the money and let them pick. 

We would always rather have the money! 😂

To add to mrgabriel's list - you could also end up under the gym, buffet or Lido area, with early morning noise issues. You aren't going to get a prime location with a guarantee cabin, most of the time. It's up to you. I like to ensure I have cabins both above and below me, to reduce the chance of unwanted noise.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

If this helps you decide.....if RCI assigns you to a cabin that is undesirable, you can call them and move to another available room of the same category, or even pay the difference to upgrade to the next category.  

In the past I have booked a GTY as it has far been the cheapest option. Not long after I have been given my room number and I can then check the ships plans to see where exactly my cabin is in relation to access to the lifts/stairs and also to surroundings that may cause noise and disturbance.

You have to ask yourself are you going to be OK if you are right at the front during bad weather or a long walk to the lifts if you are not good on your feet. And can you sleep easy at night or are you going to be easily woken by tables being moved if under the dining room.

Yes, it may be possible to move to another cabin in that category, but cruise ship holidays are becoming very popular again, so you may struggle to get a different cabin and that new one could even be worse. Also your chances of a new cabin is possibly hindered by the Royal Up program where people are bidding for these types of rooms.

As said by someone else, some people want a specific cabin on a certain deck or on a certain side of the ship for the sunlight and sunset and they are happy to pay for it. If costing you an extra £1200 for this is worth it then fine, personally I would just go out on deck and enjoy the sun there. I would use the money saved for another cruise.

Finally, remember this, that no room is perfect if you have a family from hell next door! It doesn't matter what deck, location or side of the ship you are on if you have people banging and shouting all day and night. However, you may be able to use that to your advantage and complain to guest services a few times and get moved to another cabin which may be better for you. I have complained about things like the room being uncleaned, the Virtual Balcony not working and the smell of sewage and been given the option to move (and to go and check the new room out first before moving to make sure it is worth it). This of course was in the past when there was somewhere to move to.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B