Price drop: 7 night Alaska $299 or 14 night $598

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

That is my thought as well. The timing is rather late for a TA, well.past peak or even shoulder tourist season. At a time when people are more likely to be traveling to Europe for the Christmas markets. Couple in Thankgiving  and you get low fares.

This will be my first TA; I got an incredible deal - choice balcony less than the $779 shown in @BermudaBound2014 message, heck we paid less than the $679 OV price shown and that included CO. So I'm thrilled, but beyond frustrated that I cannot get HIA added. If I do the math using these current rates, I may be able to buy HIA and still get a good deal. I'm sure many paying $779 for a balcony will be adding HIA.

The Thanksgiving holiday didn't impact my decision to book, but it is impacting flights due to Turkey day being busiest travel time in US. 

20230713_090550.jpg

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IMO, your Rotterdam sailing is much more desirable in terms of both itinerary and timing. I did get an alert of a price drop for an interior at $999. Still not a great price IMO, but the taxes are $500 so at roughly $1,500 for a 15 night cruise the price is decent and in my $100 pp guideline, but it's an interior not a balcony. At this time all other categories are still firm on the Rotterdam Transatlantic. .   Regardless of pricing, this should prove to be a lovely trip for you in a very limited supply aft balcony cabin no less :). 

Thanks.  I know sailing solo I should look at interior cabins but I haven’t reduced to that yet 😉. Perhaps OV down the road but those aft verandahs on Beethoven neck are very nice 🙂  

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

PS: My alerts come in USD and I admittedly do not track Canadian pricing at all, so my apologies to our friendly neighbors in the north for always quoting USD. 

No need to apologize.  We Canadians just have to check.  I get alerts if the pricing on my cruises goes down and  they too are in U.S. $.  It’s the currency most sites deal in 🙂 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks.  I know sailing solo I should look at interior cabins but I haven’t reduced to that yet 😉. Perhaps OV down the road but those aft verandahs on Beethoven neck are very nice 🙂  

No need to apologize.  We Canadians just have to check.  I get alerts if the pricing on my cruises goes down and  they too are in U.S. $.  It’s the currency most sites deal in 🙂 

I sail solo about 50% of the time and very rarely book insides so you aren't alone. I tried a NCL studio cabin once and would likely never book that again. I typically book Ocean views and then bid to upgrade to a standard balcony. This strategy has always worked for me, but HAL doesn't do the bidding like other cruise lines so I'm not sure how my next HAL cruise will pan out. I'll be looking to pay to upgrade to a verandah, but if I have to sail in the Oceanview I'll live with that as the price difference was astronomical that particular sailing. Like you, I LOVE the aft balconies and if I can bid for those, that is my preference. 

That was a long winded way of saying that going from a balcony to an inside might be too dramatic. If you are forced to 'downgrade'  then I agree that the lowest I'd recommend is an Oceanview. You might find that a sweet spot economically and still be able to upgrade to a balcony.

Wishing you smooth seas and happy sailing! 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ldtr said:

That is my thought as well. The timing is rather late for a TA, well.past peak or even shoulder tourist season. At a time when people are more likely to be traveling to Europe for the Christmas markets. Couple in Thankgiving  and you get low fares.

There are several Costa and NCL ships leaving for TAs just before or just after the Nieuw Statendam. The prices are low but still about 30% higher than NS...

Did I read somewhere that NS was having a drydock right before the TA?  One that possibly changed the timing of the departure?  That might account for the empty cabins if they had a large number of cancellations.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Did I read somewhere that NS was having a drydock right before the TA?  One that possibly changed the timing of the departure?  That might account for the empty cabins if they had a large number of cancellations.

The last cruise before the 14 day TA on the N Statendam leaves October 29 for 11 days.  Could be a dry dock in between as cruisemom suggests Too bad as we would be very interested if there were a European B-B connected to this good deal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Too bad as we would be very interested if there were a European B-B connected to this good deal.

Good point -- the lack of that option (doing a BTB with additional Med cruises) might also help account for the slow sales.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 4:51 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

If you are looking for a 14 night transatlantic, HAL is offering Nieuw Statendam. Rome to FLL. 11/26/23 departure. 

~Inside = $479

~Outside = $679

~Balcony = $779

Hope someone can take advantage of good pricing! 

Whoa.  Cheap.  I found on another website for even cheaper than this.  I'm not mentioning bc I don't remember the rules, but it's a very popular discount cruise website.  Anyway...

I'VE NEVER BEEN ON A TRANSATLANTIC and what has held me back from these cruises is the number of sea days.  Does anyone know if there is more offered on the daily schedule for these transatlantic cruise.  I haven't been on NS either and I'd love to sail her.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Whoa.  Cheap.  I found on another website for even cheaper than this.  I'm not mentioning bc I don't remember the rules, but it's a very popular discount cruise website.  Anyway...

I'VE NEVER BEEN ON A TRANSATLANTIC and what has held me back from these cruises is the number of sea days.  Does anyone know if there is more offered on the daily schedule for these transatlantic cruise.  I haven't been on NS either and I'd love to sail her.  

Yes, absolutely can get this cheaper. Many TA's will offer 10-15% plus incentives like loyalty bonuses, referral bonuses, etc... I don't quote those cheaper prices on here because CC often deletes them. I hope most seasoned travelers know that discounted prices off the HAL website are always available. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I stumbled upon a very good cruise rate and shared in the hopes at least one community member can take advantage. Simple. Seems some give credence to the old saying “no good deed goes unpunished”. 🙂

Naw, I wouldn't take it that way.  Even seasoned cruisers get wrapped up in the cruise price then the enthusiasm fades when finding out how much fees and add ons are.  I can tell you that post covid people don't realize how expensive their cruise add ons are here in Alaska.  My post (and I'm not saying your response was directed at me) was hopefully to help people realize that there is going to be sticker shock in the pre and post cruise phase.  People can and do make a lot of assumptions thinking that just because you can do something "there" means it's the same everywhere.  I can't tell you how many people I've helped out of a jam because they made some pretty bad assumptions.  I have some funny stories about those assumptions, but it's kind of understandable because people may think you can get a rental car anywhere, you can get around using Uber, etc.  I think there would be nothing worse than booking on extra days in Anchorage as a base then realizing you can't get out of Anchorage because there is no easy transportation or cars are as much as a hotel room.   

I did smile when you said, "no good deed goes unpunished" and sometimes we can feel that our best intentioned posts can be interpreted differently.  IMHO I don't think anyone could consider it that way.  I think I'm a fairly seasoned cruiser and am achieving 4 star coming up, but in a recent thread you offered some great insight that I was not aware of.  So, from me to you, thanks for your helpful posts and your experience is why many of us return to this board over and over for advice.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Naw, I wouldn't take it that way.  Even seasoned cruisers get wrapped up in the cruise price then the enthusiasm fades when finding out how much fees and add ons are.  I can tell you that post covid people don't realize how expensive their cruise add ons are here in Alaska.  My post (and I'm not saying your response was directed at me) was hopefully to help people realize that there is going to be sticker shock in the pre and post cruise phase.  People can and do make a lot of assumptions thinking that just because you can do something "there" means it's the same everywhere.  I can't tell you how many people I've helped out of a jam because they made some pretty bad assumptions.  I have some funny stories about those assumptions, but it's kind of understandable because people may think you can get a rental car anywhere, you can get around using Uber, etc.  I think there would be nothing worse than booking on extra days in Anchorage as a base then realizing you can't get out of Anchorage because there is no easy transportation or cars are as much as a hotel room.   

I did smile when you said, "no good deed goes unpunished" and sometimes we can feel that our best intentioned posts can be interpreted differently.  IMHO I don't think anyone could consider it that way.  I think I'm a fairly seasoned cruiser and am achieving 4 star coming up, but in a recent thread you offered some great insight that I was not aware of.  So, from me to you, thanks for your helpful posts and your experience is why many of us return to this board over and over for advice.    

What a lovely thread to read. Thank you.

I assure you that my response post was not directed toward you in any way, shape, or form. The person I was directing to knows exactly who they are :-). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

there can be.  There’s usually more beverage type activities, talks - sometimes a lecturer (although that has substantially decreased), talks with the Captain and different officers, some very intriguing meals in the Lido worthy of a taste even if you dine in the MDR, more specialty dining options possibly, etc.

I’ve done a number of TA’s and never been bored.  You get into what I call cruise mode and enjoy.

• Like 5

I could be wrong but it sure seems that there are/were more ships in alaska this season than ever before?  My guess is lot of decisions had to be made couple years ago during covid as to where best to place the ships considering various restrictions in europe/asia etc so they put them in alaska?

Some of the best deals EVER right now especially for the ships that are a bit older and for non balcony rooms....i doubt we will see prices this low again for a long long time if ever...so if u have always wanted to do alaska and are on a budget now is the time to get off butt and book it.

Edited by dockman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Have you tried asking for OBC to account for the difference if your particular cabin price has dropped significantly?

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

...Then again, cruise lines are tightening up procedures post-covid so it may not work at all, but I would think it would be worth a call?? I wish you the very BEST of luck with this! I'm cheering for you. Keep us posted...

Apologies for the strange way this copied - internet took a dive mid post.

Anyway, logged in to see what prices are showing in preparation to call HAL about a price adjustment or OBC (booked direct, no PCC, no TA). Below is what I'm seeing; entry price by type, then price differences as I clicked through on Unobstructed Verandah w/me selecting my own cabin. UnobstructedBalcony Guarantee $329 + $140 port fees & taxes = $469. Select your cabin $419 + $140 pft = $559. Both are really good deals:

Screenshot_20230713-143754_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230713-144743_Chrome.jpg

20230713_144924.jpg

20230713_144904.jpg

Screenshot_20230713-144953_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230713-145609_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Anyway, logged in to see what prices are showing in preparation to call HAL about a price adjustment or OBC (booked direct, no PCC, no TA). Below is what I'm seeing; entry price by type, then price differences as I clicked through on Unobstructed Verandah w/me selecting my own cabin.

I hope something works out, especially after all the calls you've made! If they won't give a price adjustment or OBC, maybe at least an upgrade? Might help soothe a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I hope something works out, especially after all the calls you've made! If they won't give a price adjustment or OBC, maybe at least an upgrade? Might help soothe a bit.

I'm dialing now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are several Costa and NCL ships leaving for TAs just before or just after the Nieuw Statendam. The prices are low but still about 30% higher than NS...

Usually with TAs around 20% plus are either taking the cruise before or the cruise after. On my last TA roughly 30% stayed on to do the first cruise in Europe. On my last TA from Europe a little earlier in the year a little bit lower percentage did the last cruise in the Med before the TA. 

If they are in dry dock just before coming back, that would certainly have a major impact. Coupled with that many will not sail (myself included) on the last cruise before dry dock or the first cruise out of dry dock.

22 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Usually with TAs around 20% plus are either taking the cruise before or the cruise after. On my last TA roughly 30% stayed on to do the first cruise in Europe. On my last TA from Europe a little earlier in the year a little bit lower percentage did the last cruise in the Med before the TA. 

If they are in dry dock just before coming back, that would certainly have a major impact. Coupled with that many will not sail (myself included) on the last cruise before dry dock or the first cruise out of dry dock.

I didn't think about coming out of or going into dry dock impacting bookings, but agree that could have something to do with the availability we're seeing. Curious why you don't want to cruise at either of those times?

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Curious why you don't want to cruise at either of those times?

I don't want to book those times either. Here are some of my reasons:

The sailing before a drydock often runs out of perishables and there are times when construction actually starts on that sailing (removing carpeting, etc..). There was one instance (I think NCL but can't remember) when the pool deck was closed for 3 days prior to drydock as workers removed the flooring.

The sailing after drydock is not idle because often the work is not completely finished with construction ongoing. Also, the ship often sails without a full inventory (think food, drinks, etc..). I imagine that could be further complicated by supply chain issues. In the case of this sailing, I would be afraid that the ship would be postponed coming out of drydock (that happens from time to time) and I would not want to be stranded in Rome.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't want to book those times either. Here are some of my reasons:

The sailing before a drydock often runs out of perishables and there are times when construction actually starts on that sailing (removing carpeting, etc..). There was one instance (I think NCL but can't remember) when the pool deck was closed for 3 days prior to drydock as workers removed the flooring.

The sailing after drydock is not idle because often the work is not completely finished with construction ongoing. Also, the ship often sails without a full inventory (think food, drinks, etc..). I imagine that could be further complicated by supply chain issues. In the case of this sailing, I would be afraid that the ship would be postponed coming out of drydock (that happens from time to time) and I would not want to be stranded in Rome.

Gut told me you were going to mention potential delay in Rome.

I didn't think about the prep work or limited provisioning going into drydock. 

I am on NS Oct 29 - Nov 9 RT Rome then again Nov 26 - Dec 10 Rome->FLL. Sounds like she's scheduled for dry dock the 17 days in between; I didn't check the calendar, but am sure thinking I should have. I do fly home in between. Ugh...

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Gut told me you were going to mention potential delay in Rome.

I didn't think about the prep work or limited provisioning going into drydock. 

I am on NS Oct 29 - Nov 9 RT Rome then again Nov 26 - Dec 10 Rome->FLL. Sounds like she's scheduled for dry dock the 17 days in between; I didn't check the calendar, but am sure thinking I should have. I do fly home in between. Ugh...

I'm a big believer in ending up right where I am supposed to be, especially with travel. There are always little niggles, but it's all part of the adventure. Some of my greatest memories occurred when plans went astray (I was on a cruise ship that was hit by a barge, another that lost power for two days, and one that had a ballast refuse to retract which left us listed in port to the point where pictures were falling off the wall). I've never been on a bad cruise :).

And getting the price adjusted would be a huge bonus!.

I wouldn't give it much more thought other than perhaps having a back up plan for Rome. Never hurts to have a plan B. I honestly think this is going to work out wonderfully for you. 

But I must ask, you are flying to Rome twice within a two week window? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

...And getting the price adjusted would be a huge bonus!.

I wouldn't give it much more thought other than perhaps having a back up plan for Rome. Never hurts to have a plan B. I honestly think this is going to work out wonderfully for you. 

But I must ask, you are flying to Rome twice within a two week window? 

Was told no for either price adjustment or OBC; said it was my rate code. Which is the same answer they gave for not allowing me to add HIA. Hmmm...

Originally, had booked Athens->Rome w/sister then me staying B2B RT Rome w/husband, then we'd both fly home from Rome.

Sister had to cancel, husband can't take more time off work, so I canceled Athens to Rome and booked flights RT Rome w/husband.

Then friend calls and says "hey, did you see this great price for a cruise from Rome?" I got it even less than her great price, so we booked it, which has me flying back to Rome to cruise Rome->FLL. That is less expensive than rebooking the flights and staying in a hotel for 2 weeks. Friend cannot go to Rome early to share hotel cost, so that leaves me making 2 flights to Rome.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I didn't think about coming out of or going into dry dock impacting bookings, but agree that could have something to do with the availability we're seeing. Curious why you don't want to cruise at either of those times?

Because there is often work being done. On the last cruise before dry dock they are sometimes doing prep work to prepare for dry dock. They also may be more likely to run out of items and to be a little short staffed. Any crew leaving in the couple of weeks might not get replaced until after dry dock.

After dry dock they may be finishing up things that did not get finished on time, they also tend to have a higher percentage of new crew members so service might not be as good.

I told my DH about this, and he is interested. 

The downside is getting decent airfare so late in the game.  And as mentioned, should the ship be delayed, we would have to scramble to get return air at the last minute (unless the cruise is cancelled a few days to a week before embarkation.  In that case, we would be stuck with one-way airfare over to Rome when we have no ship to go to.)  It's a gamble, but I like BB2014's attitude!!!   

I wonder if we could go ahead and book round trip, and when learning if the cruise is a go, we can cancel the return portion of air and get credit.  

I need to look at the rates on my TA's website.  The price in the OP's message is so much different than what's posted Haljo1935.

5 hours ago, dockman said:

I could be wrong but it sure seems that there are/were more ships in alaska this season than ever before?  My guess is lot of decisions had to be made couple years ago during covid as to where best to place the ships considering various restrictions in europe/asia etc so they put them in alaska?

Some of the best deals EVER right now especially for the ships that are a bit older and for non balcony rooms....i doubt we will see prices this low again for a long long time if ever...so if u have always wanted to do alaska and are on a budget now is the time to get off butt and book it.

The 5 to 6 ships in port on the same day in Juneau  would certainly be a hint in that direction