Manhattan Cruise Terminal Parking

BCahill315

59 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve been on these boards for years and years, that poster is literally the only person I’ve seen who has heard of this happening to anyone (not saying it didn’t happen but it’s very very very very very rare). Please don’t be upset with the MCT, they do a fantastic job and are not know for running out of parking, which is incredible considering it’s in Manhattan. Their act is definitely together. This new reservations allowance is brand new, for decades there haven’t been reservations. 

Thank you for referring to me as "that poster". 🙄

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

So, don’t say it “won’t happen”.  Of course the parking problem has only just cropped up - do you really think that the passenger load - and demand for parking — on given days is not going to increase along with the carrying capacity of the ships using the facility?

How has it cropped up though? It seems like whenever there is a problem (like a period of time with lack of security staff on Sundays causing huge debarking lines), it’s usually reported by unhappy passengers. I’m not saying there will never be a parking problem, just that there doesn’t appear to be one. I live 7 miles from metlife stadium, lots of hotels in the area. My girlfriend needed to book one last minute, had no idea Taylor swift was that weekend, so stayed with us. But, there are usually plenty of hotels available in the area.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

How has it cropped up though? It seems like whenever there is a problem (like a period of time with lack of security staff on Sundays causing huge debarking lines), it’s usually reported by unhappy passengers. I’m not saying there will never be a parking problem, just that there doesn’t appear to be one. I live 7 miles from metlife stadium, lots of hotels in the area. My girlfriend needed to book one last minute, had no idea Taylor swift was that weekend, so stayed with us. But, there are usually plenty of hotels available in the area.

But if Taylor Swift (or similar big draws) started appearing regularly the problem would be likely to recur. In the case of MCT, the appearance of larger ships (like MSC’s 4,500+ passengers) is virtually certain to be increasingly frequent.  Just because the way things were usually worked in the past is hardly reason to ignore the changes which make the way things were no longer likely to pertain. 

There is always Pier 92, I've seen cars parked on the roof and I've also seen the roof setup with tents for an event.

On the MCT webpage, there is a shot with cruise ships at all three piers, who knows when that was taken? They are still building one of the tall skinny towers on Billionaires' Row.

NCL is tied up 88 south, Cunnard is tied up 88 north, nothing on  90 south with Carnival maneuvering with tug assist on 90 north. Tug is there probably because a ship tied up on 92 south. 

27 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

There is always Pier 92, I've seen cars parked on the roof and I've also seen the roof setup with tents for an event.

On the MCT webpage, there is a shot with cruise ships at all three piers, who knows when that was taken? They are still building one of the tall skinny towers on Billionaires' Row.

NCL is tied up 88 south, Cunnard is tied up 88 north, nothing on  90 south with Carnival maneuvering with tug assist on 90 north. Tug is there probably because a ship tied up on 92 south. 

The picture with Piers 88, 90 and 92 all having ships docked is rather old.

Pier 92 was leased years ago to Vornado Realty Trust, which was trying to develop it into a convention hall, but that effort was largely unsuccessful. Subsequently Pier 92 was found to be structurally unsound. As  a result I don't think the parking lot is even used any longer. I remember  parking there years ago when 88 and 90 were full. The booth where you paid for parking was located on pier 92, but after the pier was found to be structurally unsound even that booth was relocated so that it was no longer on the pier itself, but rather on the roadway that leads to 90 and 88.

On 7/18/2023 at 3:45 PM, mjkacmom said:

C’mon. One can’t compare the number of hotel rooms around Met Life stadium to the availability in Manhattan and boros. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

C’mon. One can’t compare the number of hotel rooms around Met Life stadium to the availability in Manhattan and boros. 

That wasn’t my point, my point was that in a blue moon, it’s hard to find hotels here due to a unique situation, so it should be the exception, not the norm. Running out if parking at the MCT is the exception, not something for folks who have yet to park complain about.

On 7/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, navybankerteacher said:

3) Raise the parking fees to a level which will force cruisers to find other parking facilities.

You have lived in CT too long :).  The Parking Fees (at Manhattan or Red Hook) are already pretty steep.

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You have lived in CT too long :).  The Parking Fees (at Manhattan or Red Hook) are already pretty steep.

Hank

Sure they are - but the basic economics rule of supply and demand would work here.   If they run out of space it is evident that there is demand which exceeds the supply - meaning that the logical reaction (if you cannot increase supply) is to reduce demand by increasing cost.  

The bottom line is: the fees are not high enough.

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sure they are - but the basic economics rule of supply and demand would work here.   If they run out of space it is evident that there is demand which exceeds the supply - meaning that the logical reaction (if you cannot increase supply) is to reduce demand by increasing cost.  

The bottom line is: the fees are not high enough.

The proposed new fee, to drive a car into Manhattan, is also going to cause heartache for some folks.  Will Manhattan become a city overrun with Uber, Black Cars, and taxis?  I say this as we get ready to drive into Manhattan :).  When a city prices itself out of the market, local businesses (hotels, restaurants, etc) start to suffer!  I guess it is one of those "two edged swords."

Hank

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The proposed new fee, to drive a car into Manhattan, is also going to cause heartache for some folks.  Will Manhattan become a city overrun with Uber, Black Cars, and taxis?  I say this as we get ready to drive into Manhattan :).  When a city prices itself out of the market, local businesses (hotels, restaurants, etc) start to suffer!  I guess it is one of those "two edged swords."

Hank

The bottom line is:  there are just too many people around now for us to be able to expect the same easier conditions we grew up enjoying.  New York has clearly already become a place where the average person cannot easily/inexpensively operate a car.  Shared use of cars is going to have to become more common - not only for people who live in New York, but for many who want to just visit New York.  When I got out of the Navy and returned to Manhattan and started working for a bank, I and each of my four room mates had a car - we played the alternate side parking game - probably costing 10 or 15 minutes an evening (even then garage space was only for the very wealthy) but it was doable —- not so any more.

The answer is: increased use of public transportation and shared autos (taxis, Ubers, short term rentals, etc.)

Edited by navybankerteacher

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The bottom line is:  there are just too many people around now for us to be able to expect the same easier conditions we grew up enjoying.  New York has clearly already become a place where the average person cannot easily/inexpensively operate a car.  Shared use of cars is going to have to become more common - not only for people who live in New York, but for many who want to just visit New York.  When I got out of the Navy and returned to Manhattan and started working for a bank, I and each of my four room mates had a car - we played the alternate side parking game - probably costing 10 or 15 minutes an evening (even then garage space was only for the very wealthy) but it was doable —- not so any more.

The answer is: increased use of public transportation and shared autos (taxis, Ubers, short term rentals, etc.)

ROFL re alternative side of the street parking!  It will take me about 3 hours to drive into the city, today.  It may take me another hour to find free on the street parking (possible in the neighborhood we are visiting).  Like New Yorkers and many frequent visitors, we know the rule that apply to the nearby streets.  I can actually park from Friday until Tuesday morning with the right spot.  We actually consider parking, when we decide when to drive into the city.  One has to arrive at about the right time (and day) if they want to increase the odds of finding on the street parking.  ARGH!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL re alternative side of the street parking!  It will take me about 3 hours to drive into the city, today.  It may take me another hour to find free on the street parking (possible in the neighborhood we are visiting).  Like New Yorkers and many frequent visitors, we know the rule that apply to the nearby streets.  I can actually park from Friday until Tuesday morning with the right spot.  We actually consider parking, when we decide when to drive into the city.  One has to arrive at about the right time (and day) if they want to increase the odds of finding on the street parking.  ARGH!

We’ve given up, finding street parking is for the young (although my husband found a great spot by Central Park during his nieces marathon, I was convinced he was going to get towed). We use an app now, paying advance, gps directs us right there. The kids bus or train.

9 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We’ve given up, finding street parking is for the young (although my husband found a great spot by Central Park during his nieces marathon, I was convinced he was going to get towed). We use an app now, paying advance, gps directs us right there. The kids bus or train.

We have long ago limited our (frequent) trips into NYC (about 45 min to just over an hour) to train plus local ground, or car service if to just one location.  When you consider the hassle and real total cost, driving in yourself is a “luxury” best avoided. 

Question on buying a reservation.  Below is the instructions for after said reservation was purchased.  This implies to me they've installed new self-scan infrastructure; and also implies to me that the parking is not directly adjacent to Pier 88.  Can anyone chime on in this?

image.thumb.png.5792fa19ada3947f80f988d31fa31028.png

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Question on buying a reservation.  Below is the instructions for after said reservation was purchased.  This implies to me they've installed new self-scan infrastructure; and also implies to me that the parking is not directly adjacent to Pier 88.  Can anyone chime on in this?

image.thumb.png.5792fa19ada3947f80f988d31fa31028.png

The parking lot entrance is the same as it's been. You enter at 12th Ave and 55th St. as you have in the past. That in no way suggests that the parking lots are anywhere other than on the roofs of Pier 88 and Pier 90. There's no place else they can be.

The official address of the cruise terminal has always been 711 12th Ave.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks @njhorseman.  The notion of self-scanning your parking code is what's throwing me.  Probably a vestige of whatever third party app they have contracted with....that probably has self-scanners at other parking lots they deal with...

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Thanks @njhorseman.  The notion of self-scanning your parking code is what's throwing me.  Probably a vestige of whatever third party app they have contracted with....that probably has self-scanners at other parking lots they deal with...

When you click on Terms and Conditions at the very bottom of the booking form you're taken to ParkWhiz.com, so they're the third party vendor .