Cruising. Westpac and ANZ complimentary Travel Insurance

I’ve searched the T&C PDFs of both Westpac and ANZ Credit card Complimentary Travel Insurance and can’t find any mention of cover for cruises and medical evacuation from a cruise ship. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. 

And from what I read, the cancellation of a trip is capped at $20,000 for ANZ and in unlimited for Westpac. Maybe someone is able to confirm that.

Thanks for your help. 

I can only guide you re ANZ Complimentary Insurance.

The Booklet I refer to covers these cards

ELIGIBLE CARDS: The complimentary insurance outlined in this booklet is available to the eligible beneficiaries of the following credit cards: • ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum • ANZ Frequent Flyer Black • ANZ Rewards Platinum • ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures • ANZ Rewards Black • ANZ Platinum

Do you have one of these cards? If so, page 14 defines Overseas as

"outside of Australia and its territories, and includes when you are aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters"

Therefore further down on whats covered, page 21

Overseas Emergency, medical and evacuation are unlimited.

And yes, cancellation is capped at $20,000 so you need to work out if that is good for your situation.

For us, our cruise holidays are never more than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sanne said:

I’ve searched the T&C PDFs of both Westpac and ANZ Credit card Complimentary Travel Insurance and can’t find any mention of cover for cruises and medical evacuation from a cruise ship. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. 

And from what I read, the cancellation of a trip is capped at $20,000 for ANZ and in unlimited for Westpac. Maybe someone is able to confirm that.

Thanks for your help. 

Hi Sanne

Further to cheznandy The Westpac has a similar cluase under their Definitions see below

Definitions
There are some words in this booklet that have a special meaning. These words and
their meanings are set out in the table below and are highlighted in italics throughout the
booklet. Headings have been included for ease of reference but do not form part of the terms
and conditions of the cover available Word Meaning

Overseas    

outside of Australia and its territories, and includes when you are aboard a
foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters.

So you are covered as I see it for Unlimited Overseas Emergency, medical and evacuation 

as cheznandy said above.

BUT as always don't assume we are right, contact your bank and make sure your are covered.

And that there are not small riders or conditions we missed in our readings of the T&Cs and PDS

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Sanne

Further to cheznandy The Westpac has a similar cluase under their Definitions see below

Definitions
There are some words in this booklet that have a special meaning. These words and
their meanings are set out in the table below and are highlighted in italics throughout the
booklet. Headings have been included for ease of reference but do not form part of the terms
and conditions of the cover available Word Meaning

Overseas    

outside of Australia and its territories, and includes when you are aboard a
foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters.

So you are covered as I see it for Unlimited Overseas Emergency, medical and evacuation 

as cheznandy said above.

BUT as always don't assume we are right, contact your bank and make sure your are covered.

And that there are not small riders or conditions we missed in our readings of the T&Cs and PDS

Great advice John, I have called often over the years we have been using this insurance to clarify any changes in wording, they have always been great to talk to over the phone.

• Like 1

We use the ANZ card cover for cruising. There is a handy webpage to 'check your cover ' (underwritten by Allianz) where you enter your type of card, destination (I always select worldwide) and dates of trip. They then send you a certificate via email which shows the cruise and covid cover on page 2.  This is what we show when boarding a cruise to New Caledonia where this cover is required.

Similar to answer above, we never require more than $20000 cancellation cover.

• Like 1

Prior to covid I used ANZ card insurance for a cruise. I was very concerned about making sure I would be covered for a cruise by them, and more importantly for any medical evacuation from the ship. I emailed them and asked them if they could confirm those things. The email they sent me was comforting as they clearly stated that yes, I was covered for those specific eventualities. I felt happy having it in writing from them and particular to my situation. They can also send you the master policy number for complimentary insurances in case you need to present it as proof of insurance anywhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only last week I applied for and received free travel insurance through our Westpac mastercard, for next year's trip, which includes two cruises (Oceania and Cunard).  I completely missed reading the last section of the Letter of Eligibility we received, and being concerned about cover for the cruises, I rang the helpline.  A patient and efficient person confirmed we are automatically covered for cruises, and directed me to, "Eligibility for Cover while Cruising and for Epidemic/Pandemic (such as COVID-19) Cover".  

Hope this answers your question, as it did mine 🙂

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Only last week I applied for and received free travel insurance through our Westpac mastercard, for next year's trip, which includes two cruises (Oceania and Cunard).  I completely missed reading the last section of the Letter of Eligibility we received, and being concerned about cover for the cruises, I rang the helpline.  A patient and efficient person confirmed we are automatically covered for cruises, and directed me to, "Eligibility for Cover while Cruising and for Epidemic/Pandemic (such as COVID-19) Cover".  

I wish the Westpac card (underwritten by Allianz) covered my pre existing medical condition.

• Thanks 1

Really like that people are ringing there Credit Card Insurer to clarify cover, and reporting back here.

Gives us some confidence that we are covered, not just thinking we might be.

Thanks guys for your posts.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re the Westpac CC insurance. My son has this card and asked me if his fiancé who lives  with him at the same address is considered his ‘spouse’ in the T&C. I will give them a call but first of all I’d ask since there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here. 

1 hour ago, sanne said:

Re the Westpac CC insurance. My son has this card and asked me if his fiancé who lives  with him at the same address is considered his ‘spouse’ in the T&C. I will give them a call but first of all I’d ask since there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here. 

If they live together and are in a relationship then the law views them as being in a de facto relationship which is as good as married in the eyes of the law so I should think the answer is 'yes'. Do the T&Cs mention 'de facto spouse'?

• Like 3

Thank you LittleFish1976. I have just received this from Westpac ( Allianz). I’ve posted it to be helpful to others.

Please be advised that according to Policy information booklet (on page 18), Definition of Spouse:

the partner of the cardholder who is in a permanent relationship with the cardholder at the time the journey or trip starts.”

According to above information if you are in permanent relationship however not married, you will be considered as partners  under this definition

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, sanne said:

Thank you LittleFish1976. I have just received this from Westpac ( Allianz). I’ve posted it to be helpful to others.

Please be advised that according to Policy information booklet (on page 18), Definition of Spouse:

the partner of the cardholder who is in a permanent relationship with the cardholder at the time the journey or trip starts.”

According to above information if you are in permanent relationship however not married, you will be considered as partners  under this definition

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below.

You're welcome sanne. Glad you had confirmation that works out well for your family.

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 3:52 PM, Mareblu said:

Hi, I'm just sorting my insurance now for a January cruise and have Westpac Platinum card. Was this sentence "Eligibility for Cover while Cruising and for Epidemic/Pandemic (such as COVID-19) Cover" specifically stated in the letter you received or in the policy document?

Many thanks

Hi phoenixx,

On Page 3 of Letter of Eligibility:

"Under this group policy, the eligible traveller/s listed  below have access to International Travel Insurance which includes epidemic/pandemic (such as COVID-19) coverage and cover while cruising including while aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters.  Cover is outlined in the sections below, subject to the terms, conditions, exclusions, limits and applicable sub-limits outlined in the Policy Information Booklet."

The PI Booklet is viewable online as part of the complete information forwarded by Westpac, and a scan through reveals the normal travel insurance inclusions and exclusions.  Allianz is the underwriter.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Hi phoenixx,

On Page 3 of Letter of Eligibility:

"Under this group policy, the eligible traveller/s listed  below have access to International Travel Insurance which includes epidemic/pandemic (such as COVID-19) coverage and cover while cruising including while aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters.  Cover is outlined in the sections below, subject to the terms, conditions, exclusions, limits and applicable sub-limits outlined in the Policy Information Booklet."

The PI Booklet is viewable online as part of the complete information forwarded by Westpac, and a scan through reveals the normal travel insurance inclusions and exclusions.  Allianz is the underwriter.

Hope this helps.

I'm in NZ and policy is with AIG. I've just spoken to them and there is no Covid cover! How stupid is that, if Westpac Australia cover Covid but NZ does not, what's the difference? (Rhetorical question but really, that's seems unfair). It also does not cover when in NZ waters, which I see yours does.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Be very wary of CC insurance as it can be very tricky, some have a minimal spend on each item of travel I.e. $250 on flights, another on hotel, another on the cruise  not just on the whole trip.

Thanks, Mic, but we checked that point, and we are clear.  W’s is cumulative.

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

I'm in NZ and policy is with AIG. I've just spoken to them and there is no Covid cover! How stupid is that, if Westpac Australia cover Covid but NZ does not, what's the difference? (Rhetorical question but really, that's seems unfair). It also does not cover when in NZ waters, which I see yours does.

Gosh, that’s very one-sided.

Newbie here….I have ANZ card with complimentary travel insurance. 
I know that Covid is covered. 

Wondering if you get confined in your room on a cruise for say 5 days, anyone knows whether there is any compensation from ANZ Allianz travel insurance?

thanks