Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

It seems more unfair to the rest of us to have to wait that long for more cake with @YVRteacher. It was a glorious quick succession of adventures on the Jewel, the Spirit and the Star* (note the asterisk), but now we arrive at the end of another road. Seven months might as well be seven years for those of us who have developed an addiction for your cakes, collages and clever conversations. Whatever shall we do?

I’m calling this the Summer of NCL!  I still have a lot to share from this trip😁

When and where is your next cruise?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m calling this the Summer of NCL!  I still have a lot to share from this trip😁

When and where is your next cruise?

Oh good…hopefully you will be gentle and ease us back to our regularly scheduled lives but take your sweet time doing that.

I am on the Getaway transatlantic from Southampton to New York in October. Then the Viva transatlantic from Lisbon to Miami in November. I wish I could squeeze in the Spirit somewhere before she is chartered, but it looks unlikely. The Joy might make my list next year after the refurbishment. Like all your fans, I hope to meet you on a future cruise, 

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 2

I have absolutely loved and appreciated your "summer of NCL" and cannot thank you enough for taking us along. I board The Pearl tomorrow and your reviews have been so wonderful to read in preparation. I wish you a wonderful school year snd look forward to following your next trip ❤️

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

There are also cruises at Thanksgiving Break, winter break, spring break…

(I’m an enabler!)

We go back Sept 5. 

I am all about being enabled on this. I’ve got my eye on a spring break cruise. The only thing holding me back is disembarkation is the day before we go back to school. I usually prefer a buffer day or two to settle after a vacation. 

I am envious of the later start you guys have. Our students started back Tuesday with most teachers and staff a week and a half before that. 

• Like 1

Adding my thanks for your travel reporting! I've enjoyed following along on your adventures. I admire you for going solo - not sure I could do that. You have a great sense of exploration that clearly does you well.

I hope your new teaching gig goes well. I'm sure your former students will miss you - I loved hearing how you adapted books to current issues.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 2:30 PM, YVRteacher said:

Now I’m in the cabin watching A Man Called Otto and looking out the window at the gorgeous ocean. I identify with Otto. Yes, I’ve read A Man Called Ove. Loved it!!!

I haven't seen A Man Called Otto but if you loved the book (I did!) then you will love A Man Called Ove which was filmed in Swedish with excellent English dubbing. 

11 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Thanks @YVRteacher for an interesting and beautifully visual report. I’ve enjoyed following along. I love reading reports during the ‘in between times’ when I’m not on a cruise myself! 

I do too! Thank you for reading!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

I have absolutely loved and appreciated your "summer of NCL" and cannot thank you enough for taking us along. I board The Pearl tomorrow and your reviews have been so wonderful to read in preparation. I wish you a wonderful school year snd look forward to following your next trip ❤️

Thank you so much!

Have a fabulous cruise on the Pearl! I haven’t sailed on her in years.

7 hours ago, Mrhubbabubba said:

I am all about being enabled on this. I’ve got my eye on a spring break cruise. The only thing holding me back is disembarkation is the day before we go back to school. I usually prefer a buffer day or two to settle after a vacation. 

I am envious of the later start you guys have. Our students started back Tuesday with most teachers and staff a week and a half before that. 

I’m always envious when I’m still working on June 30, knowing there are schools that have been out for weeks by that point.

In Vancouver, we don’t get paid to work before the students start. Teachers go in and set up their classrooms and do some prep on their own time.

23 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Did you go to the special museum?😉

How was the whale watching tour?

Isn’t Reykjavik the perfect place for strolling and sipping?

Best wishes for an easy flight home!

Hi @YVRteacher We arrived safely home last night 😊  Had a little meltdown before we started the busride to airport in Reykjavik, as I forgot my purse with EVERYTHING important in the taxi (passport, phone, cards etc) Luckily the taxi chaffeur found the purse after a little while, and managed to get in touch with us and give it back. Guess who was VERY relieved! So we were able to arrive at the airport in time for our flight to Oslo.

We did not go to any museums this time, we strolled, had food, and napped at the hotel. Whale- watching was good, saw mink whales and white-beaked dolphins close to boat, and also puffins, gannets plus more birds. 

I think I have to come back to Reykjavik and Island another time.

🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ottawa Lynne said:

Adding my thanks for your travel reporting! I've enjoyed following along on your adventures. I admire you for going solo - not sure I could do that. You have a great sense of exploration that clearly does you well.

I hope your new teaching gig goes well. I'm sure your former students will miss you - I loved hearing how you adapted books to current issues.

Hi! Thank you! I have applied for jobs this week and will know next week what the upcoming year  may hold.

I loved being solo on this cruise. I could just set out in any direction with no plans and visit a bakery whenever the desire struck (ok, the bakery desire was always striking…)

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Norwegianprincess said:

Hi @YVRteacher We arrived safely home last night 😊  Had a little meltdown before we started the busride to airport in Reykjavik, as I forgot my purse with EVERYTHING important in the taxi (passport, phone, cards etc) Luckily the taxi chaffeur found the purse after a little while, and managed to get in touch with us and give it back. Guess who was VERY relieved! So we were able to arrive at the airport in time for our flight to Oslo.

We did not go to any museums this time, we strolled, had food, and napped at the hotel. Whale- watching was good, saw mink whales and white-beaked dolphins close to boat, and also puffins, gannets plus more birds. 

I think I have to come back to Reykjavik and Island another time.

🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸

I’m so glad you got your purse back! That sounds so stressful! 

We all need to go back to Iceland! What a special trip and place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m always envious when I’m still working on June 30, knowing there are schools that have been out for weeks by that point.

In Vancouver, we don’t get paid to work before the students start. Teachers go in and set up their classrooms and do some prep on their own time.

So what I’m hearing is we should all start in September and all be out by the end of May. I mean, to be fair and equitable and all that. 

34 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Yikes... I suppose that's slightly better than if you had been in a library or a church.   😂. Sorry to create a ruckus! 🤪

Speaking of libraries, we found a pair of granny panties in the middle of the children's area. Paper towel, scoop em up, into the garbage can.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, libtrek said:

Speaking of libraries, we found a pair of granny panties in the middle of the children's area. Paper towel, scoop em up, into the garbage can.

Well, I'm wearing mine!  Who do those belong to, gasp?  😳

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Welcome to Grundarfjordur! 
If you lost your undies, they are on Borgarbraut.

Most people would give the shirt off their back to be able to go on another cruise.

Wondering what you get if you give your undies...

• Haha 11