Laundry Bag - Additional?

boltnut55

I posted a question and then realized I already asked it even though I searched for over 30 minutes and couldn't find anything.  My follow up question regarding the laundry bag at $29 is if we're willing to pay for 2 bags, will they allow us to do that?  Or is it just 1 bag per room?  Thank you!

Edited by boltnut55

• boltnut55 changed the title to Laundry Bag - Additional?

I haven't done it myself, but I simply can not see why you could not fill (and pay for) two bags on the day of the laundry special offer. You may however have to ask your room steward for an extra bag, as there often is only one laundry bag in the cabin (usually on the top shelf in the closet). But if you are rolling your clothing tight before carefully placing it inside the laundry bag, it is actually amazing how much clohting that can fit in to that bag. Plus, if your cruise is longer than 7 days then it is very likely that the laundry special will be offered twice....

2 hours ago, coldinerie said:

I always travel with travel size Gorilla Tape, it comes in so handy for lots of unexpected things including ripped laundry bags!

Well now I'm going to have find some, lol.  How full can the bag be?  I think last time we folded the end so that we'd hope things wouldn't drop out, but I saw a video last night where the guy had stuff sticking out of the top!  I guess tape would help in that case too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

How full can the bag be?  

Roll tightly & squeeze as much air out before stuffing the bag, after doing an itemized inventory count first, as the laundry department needs an accurate number ... in case, claim is made that item(s) were lost.  We began using those ultra-light, elastic plastic shipping bag (Amazon, LL Bean, Land's End, etc.) as liner/insert for NCL's thin paper bag ... leaving duct tapes alone for emergency use.  

Our trick to not let things fall out is to use a t-shirt or something similar, fold that & put 1/2 on the bottom side and the other 1/2 on top and cover, effectively sealing the bag/plastic liner.  Room steward/attendant then bring it down in the morning (picked up by 12 noon) and usually return to us, wash & folded by late afternoon or evening of the following day.  S/he has plenty of the bag special "coupons" around and the laundry operations run 24/7 around the clock, more or less.  Alert the steward ahead to collect them in the morning - have yet to hear that the offer is valid for one bag only.  

The bag is about 30% smaller these days but we still managed to get a lot into each bag - 2 bags worth (ours done free entirely - 4 in total during our 15 nights) came back in the laundry basket.  

PXL_20230502_154031815.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

We began using those ultra-light, elastic plastic shipping bag (Amazon, LL Bean, Land's End, etc.) as liner/insert for NCL's thin paper bag 

Our trick to not let things fall out is to use a t-shirt or something similar, fold that & put 1/2 on the bottom side and the other 1/2 on top and cover, effectively sealing the bag/plastic liner.  Alert the steward ahead to collect them in the morning - have yet to hear that the offer is valid for one bag only. 

PXL_20230502_154031815.jpg

Thanks for the t-shirt idea, just what I needed.  Will check around the house for something to line in similar size.  We'll aim for 1 bag but helpful to know 2 may be possible.  Thanks again for the details.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Roll tightly & squeeze as much air out before stuffing the bag, after doing an itemized inventory count first, as the laundry department needs an accurate number ... in case, claim is made that item(s) were lost.  We began using those ultra-light, elastic plastic shipping bag (Amazon, LL Bean, Land's End, etc.) as liner/insert for NCL's thin paper bag ... leaving duct tapes alone for emergency use.  

Our trick to not let things fall out is to use a t-shirt or something similar, fold that & put 1/2 on the bottom side and the other 1/2 on top and cover, effectively sealing the bag/plastic liner.  Room steward/attendant then bring it down in the morning (picked up by 12 noon) and usually return to us, wash & folded by late afternoon or evening of the following day.  S/he has plenty of the bag special "coupons" around and the laundry operations run 24/7 around the clock, more or less.  Alert the steward ahead to collect them in the morning - have yet to hear that the offer is valid for one bag only.  

The bag is about 30% smaller these days but we still managed to get a lot into each bag - 2 bags worth (ours done free entirely - 4 in total during our 15 nights) came back in the laundry basket. 

Reminds me of those grocery store, all you can fit bagel days.  Fit as many bagels into a paper bag.

So you take a bagel, sit on it to become wafer thin, put in bag, repeat.  Instead of 6 bagels, you can put 60 bagels in, for the same price.😛

Just kidding.  Haven't done that myself (sit on bagel, etc).

• Haha 2

If you go to the meet and greet ask this question.  On a past cruise there was a large family, and they asked if it was possible to do more than one bag.  I know they were told they could do as many as needed!  This may have been ship dependent, and not on all.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Reminds me of those grocery store, all you can fit bagel days.  Fit as many bagels into a paper bag

There's a Chinese grocery store near me w/a hot deli where you pack your own boxes like chicken wings, chow mein, sweet and sour pork, etc.  Your box doesn't even have to close, so my husband packed something like 24 wings in a small box for maybe $7.  One day my daughter has a potluck and comes over to have Dad pack for her because it was too much pressure in case she packed less.😁  I think he crisscrossed them to build layers.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Girr said:

If you go to the meet and greet ask this question.  On a past cruise there was a large family, and they asked if it was possible to do more than one bag.  I know they were told they could do as many as needed!  This may have been ship dependent, and not on all.

I always meant to ask this, have sailed 5 times with the 7 of us in 2 cabins, really could’ve used more than 2 bags!

Besides filling our the laundry slip, if there are items you would really hate to lose (blouse, t shirt, pants) lay them on the bed and take a picture of them with your phone before sending them out just in case something doesn't come back.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to share that I followed suggestions!  I rolled tightly, stuffed well, and ended up doing laundry twice, which really was a splurge for us cheapies.  😁  We had 19 and 18 items respectively:  5 "undergarments" including sports bra, 1 pair of socks, 2 shorts, 3 jeans, 1 workout pants, and 7 tops followed by 2 undergarments, 1 socks, 2 shorts, 2 jeans, 2 pants/slacks, 2 dresses, 6 tops, and 1 dress shirt.  We were pretty impressed.

Photo #1:  We bought tape at the Dollarama in Vancouver specifically for the bag (if my husband thought I was nuts then, he didn't after we used it!)

Photo #2:  The steward said at the earliest, it'd be ready the next afternoon, so make sure you don't put on your DND (we did the first time because we didn't know, so it was delivered in the evening)

Photo #3:  neatly folded for us and wrapped in tissue

Laundry 1.jpg

Laundry 2.jpg

Laundry 3.jpg