Alaska cruise pricing

cusematt4

Hi all,

we are looking at possible first time Alaska cruises for next year.

Is it normal for these cruises to be doable what a donor able room for a 7 night caribbean cruise would be?  Prices are about 4000-5000 for a balcony room for two.  We would usually pay less than half of this for a balcony room 7 night cruise on a newer ship.

is pricing this high because it’s a year out, or is this typical Alaska cruise pricing?  Is it likely to come down?

Also, does Princess ever have any land tour specials and/or airfare specials?  I’m wondering if we book the cruise with Princess if there may at some point be deals for a pre cruise tour and or discounted Princess airfare (such as 2 for 1).  Would they advertise pre cruise land tour and air specials in the pre cruise planner?  Can these be added on at any time?

thank you.

Alaska cruises tend to be very expensive since they are seen by people as a must do cruise. Best to book them early since prices do rise.  I booked my next Alaska cruises more than an year before the cruise

Yes, they are rather pricy! Don't forget that Alaska gets a piece of the action by taxing every person that books a cruise to Alaska. Note Alaska has parking lots near trail heads north of Anchorage and will charge tourist for parking. (Even locals) There is more than one way to take in revenue for the State sponsored system. Tim 

Port fees and taxes alone are approximately $450 per person on an Alaskan7 day cuise.  We've booked inside and obstructed  oceanview cabins many times without regret.  I did regret booking a balcony cabin.  Didn't spend enough time on the balcony to justify the extra cost.  But to each his own....I don't think you will regret going to Alaska.  I would recommend Princess for your first Alaskan cruise.

• Thanks 1

Yup. Alaska cruises tend to be significantly more expensive per day than Caribbean cruises. Short season and fewer ships for the region leads to higher demand. But totally worth it in my opinion. 

Also May and September prices generally tend to be more reasonable; peak prices are during summer months June-August.

Excursions are also generally expensive (depending on what you want to do) so I would budget for that. 

But Alaska is definitely well worth it...trip of a lifetime!

Edited by SuzieQ521

Balconies in Alaska are expensive because there is hype put around being able to see the sights of the scenic cruising, which there will a lot of, from the comfort of you balcony.  Having cruised Alaska several times, I don't mind an inside because the excessive daylight hours really mess with my circadian and sleeping schedule.  There are many areas on the ships where you can go out and admire the scenery.

Alaska is expensive for many reasons. 

As noted in other posts, there is the short season for tourism.  This makes everything expensive from your cruise to the excursions you take.  The local workers are seasonal and come to Alaska for a few months out of the year, and their pay has to make it worthwhile for them to come and work.  Very few people live in Alaska year round.

Alaska cruising is a monopoly controlled by the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska.  It's their way or no way.  They set the prices to use the docks.  Cruise lines bid for dock usage.  Princess and Holland America always have preferential docking rights that they pay for.  NCL and RCCL not so much.  For example in Ketchikan, NCL docks in Ward Cove, 15 minutes outside of Ketchikan and passengers have to waste time taking a shuttle to town.  In Juneau, RCCL and NCL dock at AJ dock which is the furthest and in an industrial area.

There are extra costs to cruising in Alaska.  Princess pays the National Park Service a fee to cruise Glacier Bay.  There has to be a Southeast Alaska Pilot onboard the entire time the ship is in Alaskan waters that has to be paid.  There's a naturalist and special presenters onboard that have to be paid.  

Princess doesn't have promotions on air.  Their air is under the purview of EZAir.  Unlike other cruise lines, you pick which flights you will be on based on a list of flights that EZAir has negotiated special pricing on.  You control the air through EZAir and it's up to you to monitor price drops.  You can change the air up to your hearts desire up until 45 days to departure, at which point the air will be ticketed.  I'm assuming you're flying from the U.S.  The majority of the times, you'll find better domestic air to Alaska and air to Canada on your own.  EZAir will work on getting you to your embarkation city/tour start city, in the case of airline delays.  If you book on your own, you're on your own if there are delays.  Shouldn't be a problem if you arrive a day or two in advance and book your own air.

• Thanks 1

We are cruising next month to Alaska on Princess.  We booked as soon as the 2023 season became available.  I was able to get a few price drops honored and the balance reduced before final payment.  Always pays to watch the prices.  

• Like 2

Because the prices are higher, I would recommend an Oceanview if you want something larger than an inside and want the light from the window,

We had a balcony, which is the minimum we will go with.  But going to Alaska, the weather is cold, you do not sit out on the balcony to read.  You will spend little time on your balcony.  

this is just my opinion, but going to Alaska is well worth the time and money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to look at when booking an Alaska cruise is the times that the ship is in port. I have a friend who recently did a cheap Alaska cruise on NCL, but was disappointed at the very odd and short port times. However, it was much cheaper than a Princess cruise....so you get what you pay for....

• Like 1