coco cay cancellations

how late can you wait to cancel coco cay?  Last time we cruised our stop in coco cay was a miserable weather day(but not so bad that it would have been cancelled by Royal, imagine low 70's and overcast/drizzling all day) and if I had spent money on the beach club or anything else it would have been a waste.  We've got a cruise coming up and I doubt I'll splurge for anything, but I might, and I was wondering what the cancellation policy is.

Thanks

Dan

Just now, danoconnl said:

how late can you wait to cancel coco cay?  Last time we cruised our stop in coco cay was a miserable weather day(but not so bad that it would have been cancelled by Royal, imagine low 70's and overcast/drizzling all day) and if I had spent money on the beach club or anything else it would have been a waste.  We've got a cruise coming up and I doubt I'll splurge for anything, but I might, and I was wondering what the cancellation policy is.

Thanks

Dan

48 hours prior to the time the excursion starts

• Like 2

We have been on CocoCay on a day with passing thunderstorms. During light passing storms, we stayed on the beach and in the water. Once, when there was lighting in the area, the lifeguards got people out of the water. And during the one heavy rain storm, the lifeguards warned us (ship had it's weather radar on) and we hung out in the buffet. Everyone on the beach had a great time. 

If you're wet from the ocean water or if you are wet from the rain, it is all about the same. 

image.png.e2917d5cf42448b356782839ab8feb23.png

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We have been on CocoCay on a day with passing thunderstorms. During light passing storms, we stayed on the beach and in the water. Once, when there was lighting in the area, the lifeguards got people out of the water. And during the one heavy rain storm, the lifeguards warned us (ship had it's weather radar on) and we hung out in the buffet. Everyone on the beach had a great time. 

If you're wet from the ocean water or if you are wet from the rain, it is all about the same. 

image.png.e2917d5cf42448b356782839ab8feb23.png

its more about wasting extra money if the weather isn't good.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danoconnl said:

its more about wasting extra money if the weather isn't good.

Dan

Yeah, obviously if you can't make the stop, you'll get your money back -- but if the weather is icky but you get your so-so day, it'd be a poor value to have spent $$$ on the Beach Club or a day bed.  Sounds like even more reason NOT to spend money on Coco Cay. 

I've heard that the hot air balloon frequently can't go up because of high winds.  But, again, if your ride was impossible, you'd get a refund.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Curious if there is bad weather as in high winds or heavy rain, the waterpark is cancelled.  Anyone know the answer?

Not sure about the waterpark but definitely the balloon.  I am 0 for 4 for going up in that balloon - it is ALWAYS windy when I'm there.

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Cocoa Cay when there was a hurricane

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

because there was low winds

A hurricane by definition is winds greater than 74 mph. There may have been a hurricane somewhere on the planet, but you were not docked at Coco Cay in a hurricane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

A hurricane by definition is winds greater than 74 mph. There may have been a hurricane somewhere on the planet, but you were not docked at Coco Cay in a hurricane.

Forecasts at the time said otherwise.  We weren't in the eye of the hurricane, however.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:55 PM, jean87510 said:

Curious if there is bad weather as in high winds or heavy rain, the waterpark is cancelled.  Anyone know the answer?

The waterpark will shut down if there's lightning within a 5/10 mile radius. If it stays closed for 2 hours, you're entitled to a 50% refund. If it stays closed for 4 hours, you're eligible for a full refund.

Now, what they did to us was close it for 1.5 hours, reopen for 30 mins then closed for another hour. They said it was never closed for 2 consecutive hours - I didn't push this further but I'm guessing someone could raise a stink about it.  So we didn't get our 50% refund.. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, robmtx said:

The waterpark will shut down if there's lightning within a 5/10 mile radius. If it stays closed for 2 hours, you're entitled to a 50% refund. If it stays closed for 4 hours, you're eligible for a full refund.

Now, what they did to us was close it for 1.5 hours, reopen for 30 mins then closed for another hour. They said it was never closed for 2 consecutive hours - I didn't push this further but I'm guessing someone could raise a stink about it.  So we didn't get our 50% refund.. 

wow.  I'd be pissed especially if I had a big family.  

• Like 1

Cruise ships avoid hurricanes at all costs. There is no way a ship would have docked at Cococay during a hurricane. Hurricanes are not like tornadoes with little time to prepare. Hurricanes can be monitored where they will affect from days before and ships will always avoid their paths.