And yet another Prima sailing does not make it to Isafjordur

ontheweb

I just got the e-mail that the port has been cancelled. And unlike other Prima cruises, it has become a sea day instead of time in Akuyeyri.

I can't say I am surprised, but I am disappointed. 😢 I wonder if any of their cruises between England and Iceland this season will end up going there.

• Like 1

Having been in Isafjordur many times, I'd say it's because they simply cannot handle a ship of Prima's size. It's a very small town, with not much to do (and very few excursions offered). It's a nice place for a nice stroll to take in scenery, though. Last time I was there was last August on the Star, and it was hard enough with the smaller ship. 

• Like 1

They’ve cancelled Bruges as well. So fed up, wouldn’t have booked this at all if I’d known. Two ports cancelled and an extra day at sea. Can they just do what they like? Surely we are owed some compensation?

28 minutes ago, Sandrann said:

They’ve cancelled Bruges as well. So fed up, wouldn’t have booked this at all if I’d known. Two ports cancelled and an extra day at sea. Can they just do what they like? Surely we are owed some compensation?

We are considering booking this itinerary next year.

Why was Bruges cancelled ?

I wonder if it has to due with winds -- they were blown off dock the other day there and the gangways fell into the water.  I was there back in June and it was beautiful.  We also skipped Isafjordur and had an extra sea day.

19 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

We are considering booking this itinerary next year.

Why was Bruges cancelled ?

13 minutes ago, jlowe420 said:

I wonder if it has to due with winds -- they were blown off dock the other day there and the gangways fell into the water.  I was there back in June and it was beautiful.  We also skipped Isafjordur and had an extra sea day.

Just now, Sandrann said:

,” in order to remain compliant with tidal restrictions in Brussels (Zeebrugge), Belgium, we have replaced the call with an overnight call to Amsterdam, Netherlands, allowing you more time to explore this fascinating destination” This is what we were told, But, we don’t dock in Amsterdam till 3pm, so not that much more time there in reality!

51 minutes ago, Sandrann said:

Call them, and they will say the cruise contract allows it, no compensation. I had called about the Brugge cancellation because I wanted the money refunded to my credit card for the excursion we had already paid for and they argued about that. Finally, the rep realized I was not asking for compensation for the missed port but a refund for an excursion. She went to the resolution department, and they sid cancel the excursion as you are within the cancellation window. And I do have the refund posted to my credit card.

56 minutes ago, Sandrann said:

No, they owe you nothing.  If they would miss all the ports they would owe you nothing as long as you disembarked where they said you would.  They will say it was an act of God, gonna keep your port fees.  Their attitude is take it up with God.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandrann said:

I'm sorry - I'm afraid they won't help you.

On my cruise, they cancelled one port and the morning of another after final payment to help the environment, and they refused to let my family reschedule our cruise to one with the exact same itinerary a few weeks later that made all the ports.  They continued to advertise the original itinerary, and didn't tell people who booked directly on the phone with NCL about the cancellations.  They wouldn't let those passengers cancel their cruise either.  The only people I know of who were allowed to change was a family with a baby under 12 months old.  Because the last port was changed to a sea day, the cruise now had 3 scheduled sea days in a row and the baby couldn't sail, so they let them reschedule.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

They did give compensation during the Prima TA of a 25% discount as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for passengers to rebook their cruise, adding a 50% FCC for those who choose to sail on any European voyages in 2023, this was because they missed Isafjordur and (an overnight I think in) Reykjavik.

I'm not saying they should or will give it for this cruise but its not unheard of.

2 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

They did give compensation during the Prima TA of a 25% discount as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for passengers to rebook their cruise, adding a 50% FCC for those who choose to sail on any European voyages in 2023, this was because they missed Isafjordur and (an overnight I think in) Reykjavik.

I'm not saying they should or will give it for this cruise but its not unheard of.

is this the same cruise as the one in which the observation lounge was scheduled to be closed for the entire sailing for the artwork sales or are you describing a refund for a different cruise?

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

is this the same cruise as the one in which the observation lounge was scheduled to be closed for the entire sailing for the artwork sales or are you describing a refund for a different cruise?

No that was two sailings later.

The TA had the refund, but the weather was rough and I think the port cancellations happened essentially on the days x2 in a row.

The subsequent cruise Isjafordur was replaced with another night in Reykjavik and Akureyri was cancelled, but it was 'announced' as a schedule change hand out as part of check in. No FCC was offered. This cruise had the comedy club closed and the other dining room closed as it was booked for a private function the entire time.

The cruise after that I assume at least something was cancelled ?Isjafordur, but that was the sailing with the closed observation lounge.

Prima's had a rough go.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

No that was two sailings later.

The TA had the refund, but the weather was rough and I think the port cancellations happened essentially on the days x2 in a row.

The subsequent cruise Isjafordur was replaced with another night in Reykjavik and Akureyri was cancelled, but it was 'announced' as a schedule change hand out as part of check in. No FCC was offered. This cruise had the comedy club closed and the other dining room closed as it was booked for a private function the entire time.

The cruise after that I assume at least something was cancelled ?Isjafordur, but that was the sailing with the closed observation lounge.

Prima's had a rough go.

Thanks so much - that is a really hopeful reference for all of the cruisers affected by the most recent cancellations.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I just got the e-mail that the port has been cancelled. And unlike other Prima cruises, it has become a sea day instead of time in Akuyeyri.

I can't say I am surprised, but I am disappointed. 😢 I wonder if any of their cruises between England and Iceland this season will end up going there.

Actually, I was a little surprised as I did not expect to find out until we boarded the ship. That seems to be what others experienced.

14 hours ago, Sandrann said:

They're not just doing "what they like." It's a hassle for them to cancel ports...they don't enjoy upsetting passengers. Iceland did not and still does not have their port in Isafjordur ready for large ships when they said they were going to, so the Prima literally can't dock. The tides and weather are out of whack this year, and Zebrugge cannot handle the ship due to safety reasons. NCL isn't cancelling for sh*ts and giggles. It's for reasons literally out of their control.

You aren't entitled to any compensation...many cruises have ports cancelled or changed due to things like this, and people know that. It's in any cruise line's contract. You should have the port fees automatically refunded, although they may not change if you now have to pay for extended time in Amsterdam.

• Like 2

We were on the Prima in December and the captain had to skip two ports due to rough seas and an inability to safely let us tender to shore - Grand Cayman and Great Stirrup Cay. We were super disappointed because we were scuba diving in Grand Cayman and had a villa rented in Great Stirrup Cay. But the only compensation we received was our port fees returned. 

The other two ports on the week-long cruise over Christmas were Cozumel and Ocho Rios. We didn't get off the ship in Cozumel because it was Christmas Day and winds were gusting to 25mph and the rain was coming down in sheets. So it was a very port-light cruise for us. We still had a great time, tho. But not the cruise we'd expected. 

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I know how much you were looking forward to this port, so I can certainly empathize with you. I suppose now the waiting game is over...treat yourself to some spa time on that new sea day with the money you're saving. I hope this is the end of the disappointment and your cruise goes well! I'm certainly looking forward to hearing all about it, if you choose to tell us. 

Fair skies and calm seas to you when you board next month!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

It's for reasons literally out of their control.

yes, indeed. completely out of their control.

but not something they don't have full knowledge of. yet they often act like they have little knowledge of the situation and that they don't have decades of  experience with such matters so as to be able to predict whether a port visit is likely - or unlikely - for a particular journey. some might argue that they are indeed doing what they like... not informing guests that the ship they've booked has no tendering capability of its own, and making it appear that a visit to the port is likely, even when they know it is unlikely and hasn't taken place for months. if the port is not being entirely forthcoming with NCL with regard to their construction schedule, that is information that NCL has, as well, to be able to make a determination about future port visits. if the port does not communicate reliably, NCL should know that - with great consistency - the information they supply to their guests has been wrong.

i don't think anybody is lambasting NCL for skipping the port that the ship can't visit. what NCL is rightly receiving criticism for is fudging of the truth, denial of the reality of the situation and consistently poor communication (which seems to be getting a bit better). they are also criticizing NCL for apparently building a ship without tenders... the only way the prima can tender is if tenders are provided by the port. in most cases here, the prima would have been able to visit isafjordur if the ship had its own tenders.

as for pier work... my understanding is that the port is being dredged... they are removing built up sand and silt and other accumulated "stuff" from the bottom of the sea to allow for access by larger ships. that would extend well beyond the pier. if there are no visible signs of this work taking place, it is entirely possible that the work will not continue until after the season is over... in which case, NCL might consider canceling all future port visits for this season.

• Thanks 2

Got notification yesterday that the August 17th sailing with skip Isafjordur on the 18th but will instead arrive on Friday the 18th in Ak @ 1 pm and do an overnight there thru the next day, Saturday.  However, the NCL website still has not caught up so there are no shore excursions showing up and the Isafjordur  excursions are not yet cancelled and refunded.  I was happy to receive advanced notice. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mthayer295 said:

Got notification yesterday that the August 17th sailing with skip Isafjordur on the 18th but will instead arrive on Friday the 18th in Ak @ 1 pm and do an overnight there thru the next day, Saturday.  However, the NCL website still has not caught up so there are no shore excursions showing up and the Isafjordur  excursions are not yet cancelled and refunded.  I was happy to receive advanced notice. 

And if I were a betting man, I would bet that you could still call NCL and buy an excursion to the port of Isafjordur even though they cancelled it as it is as it is still on the website.

When I called wanting our Brugge excursion refunded, they wanted to give me OBC instead, and when I asked, I was told non-refundable. They had to go through the resolution department to allow me a refund to my credit card having me cancel the excursion to the port they were no longer going to within the alllowed refund time.

I obviously cannot blame them for ultra low tides. But I do blame them for Isafjordur. Their older ship, the NCL Star has used tenders there, but the Prima's lifeboats are not certified to be used as tender. Why do you go backwards in functionality when you build newer ships?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1