Flight out of MCO

We have Wonder booked in March our of Port Canaveral.  We booked our flight with a 2:30pm return time, but WestJet just notified us of a flight time change where it is now leaving at 11:15am.  

Is this flight do-able if we self assist?  Or is it too close?  I know that Port Canaveral is a bit of a drive away from the airport.

Thank you both.  This is good to hear.

One other question...is it an issue for us to self-debark if we keep our own luggage?  i.e. we'd have 1 regular size luggage and then say carry ons.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Thank you both.  This is good to hear.

One other question...is it an issue for us to self-debark if we keep our own luggage?  i.e. we'd have 1 regular size luggage and then say carry ons.

No real issue. It's good to have to be on the promenade aka lobby (if you will) early for self disembark because the later it gets the more full the elevators are. 545/6am you can get big bags on no problem. We had two 29in bags each plus carry on. There are straps you can buy on Amazon to loop through your bags handles and basically make a train of bags to pull. Game changer for anyone do this with multiple bags to pull at once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We have Wonder booked in March our of Port Canaveral.  We booked our flight with a 2:30pm return time, but WestJet just notified us of a flight time change where it is now leaving at 11:15am.  

Is this flight do-able if we self assist?  Or is it too close?  I know that Port Canaveral is a bit of a drive away from the airport.

One warning. You didn't say how your getting to airport. I would avoid car rental. They open at 7am and tell everyone they start picking people up at 7am (enterprise) even on there recording. They didn't show till 740am and van could only handle 4 people's luggage. By 740am the line was 50 people deep and guy was only ferrying 4 to 6 at a time because of luggage room. Car rental is major time suck. Other than that you will be grand.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

No real issue. It's good to have to be on the promenade aka lobby (if you will) early for self disembark because the later it gets the more full the elevators are. 545/6am you can get big bags on no problem. We had two 29in bags each plus carry on. There are straps you can buy on Amazon to loop through your bags handles and basically make a train of bags to pull. Game changer for anyone do this with multiple bags to pull at once.

Thanks so much. Yeah, we would up and ready to disembark as early as we can (5:45am-6am sounds about right).  We'd probably have 1 full size bag and then carry ons but not at packing stage yet.  Good tip about the strap.

53 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

One warning. You didn't say how your getting to airport. I would avoid car rental. They open at 7am and tell everyone they start picking people up at 7am (enterprise) even on there recording. They didn't show till 740am and van could only handle 4 people's luggage. By 740am the line was 50 people deep and guy was only ferrying 4 to 6 at a time because of luggage room. Car rental is major time suck. Other than that you will be grand.

Thanks.  We would either taxi or uber (and assume this is an option from Port Canaveral?).  No plans to rent a car.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  We would either taxi or uber (and assume this is an option from Port Canaveral?).  No plans to rent a car.

MCO is about 45 minutes from the port if there is no traffic.  Uber or taxi will be at least $100.  Check out the Florida departures forum for suggestions on car services.  There are a bunch of them, some better than others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

MCO is about 45 minutes from the port if there is no traffic.  Uber or taxi will be at least $100.  Check out the Florida departures forum for suggestions on car services.  There are a bunch of them, some better than others.

Would they run that early?

Just now, RyderJ201 said:

I wouldn't do one you have to share if in a hurry. Those wait till every seat is full before departing. 

There are small vans that have scheduled times to pick up people.  I would not use a shuttle that is a huge bus.  I would not use the cruise line's transfer either as it waits to fill and would not be early enough.  I would not use Travelynx either as their people at the port are terrible.  There are a few others with very good reputations.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

I wouldn't do one you have to share if in a hurry. Those wait till every seat is full before departing. 

Exactly, why I was just thinking uber or taxi...even if it costs a bit more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Exactly, why I was just thinking uber or taxi...even if it costs a bit more.

Do some research in the Florida departure forums.  The list posted above is a good one.  None of those use large shuttles.  Cortans was really good when we used them pre-covid.  We have not sailed from the port post covid, only been there as a port of call a few times and used Uber.  Not impressed at all with the Uber cars that we got but we were only going a few miles. I wonder which services @RyderJ201 has actually used in that port.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Do some research in the Florida departure forums.  The list posted above is a good one.  None of those use large shuttles.  Cortans was really good when we used them pre-covid.  We have not sailed from the port post covid, only been there as a port of call a few times and used Uber.  Not impressed at all with the Uber cars that we got but we were only going a few miles. I wonder which services @RyderJ201 has actually used in that port.

Wow! What did I do to you to get slammed??? 

I've used many over the past 25 years. And personally believe Uber and taxi is best when in a hurry. 

Do you know me? Why would you question which ones I "have actually used in that port"? You sound like a nut case.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We have Wonder booked in March our of Port Canaveral.  We booked our flight with a 2:30pm return time, but WestJet just notified us of a flight time change where it is now leaving at 11:15am

If you have the option to make a security appt when you check in for your flight it is well worth it.

20 hours ago, RyderJ201 said:

One question with regards to that, When do you have to leave the ship by? I have a flight in the evening and have a car rental booked. If we take our time leaving, can we avoid that car rental rush you think? 

Question: Is your cruise during a spring break week for many schools as it's in March? The easiest (and somewhat reliable) way to tell is to go to a mock booking and see if your cruise costs more than the others during that month.

If so, you'll be competing with not only cruising crowds at MCO but also Disney crowds which can make security back up to the tune of a 3 hour wait.

Next question(s): Do you have travel insurance and did you book refundable/flexible tickets with WestJet? In the case you don't make the 11:15, how confident are you that WestJet can just get you on their next flight?

I'd be considering all of this before saying that you'll make it for that flight. MCO has a reputation for a reason.