Regent Cruise with 16 and 17 Year-olds

We, frequent Regent cruisers, have just completed our third Regent cruise with a teenage grandchild. We thoroughly enjoyed the experiences.

The first such cruise was in 2015 with a 16-year-old granddaughter for a B2B on the Voyager for 30 days through the Baltic and the up/down the coast of Norway via Murmansk, Russia. Her cruise fare was about $3200 sharing our F category suite under the Regent “Special Savings for Kids” program that Regent offers on many itineraries between May and late August. GD lived nearby and had dinner with us often so we thought we knew her but the cruise was a great bonding experience. She was literally treated as a princess by the crew; they modified the pull-out bed until she was comfortable and couldn’t feel the “pea”! She had a great time with the Staff – even played water-polo (Staff vs. Passengers) within 500 miles of the North Pole. She conversed easily with other guests as she sat at the bar in OL late with the bartender filling her long-stem glassware with ginger ale.  She got our Trivia team its only perfect score. She participated fully in shore excursions (not big on museums) especially the active ones. Had her grandmother take a photo of her and a “good-looking guy” in each of the 9 countries for transmittal to girl friends back home.

The second such Regent cruise was in 2022 with a then 16-year-old grandson for 15 days on the Voyager from Southampton to Reykjavik via Greenland. His cruise fare was about $1700 for sharing our Penthouse B suite (a great layout for 3 persons). We didn’t see this grandson very often so we anticipated a wonderful experience and it was! All 3 of us had a great time. GS loved the food – often 5 meals each day; played on our Trivia team (not much help); attended all the shows, especially the late-night Horizon Lounge events (as he plays drums in Rock Music bands); and, did walking excursions in every port – adored Iceland.

The 3rd such Regent cruise was in July 2023 with the now 17-year-old GS on the Splendor for 10 days in the Baltic. His cruise fare was about $1450 in our Penthouse B suite (we took an upsell to B657) that was wonderful for 3 people. GS is now 5’10” plus but said the 6’ pull-out bed was “comfy”. Again, he enjoyed the food – would have eaten every night in Pacific Rim! This trip GS helped us in Trivia. GS did a Culinary Arts session (fish preparation) that he loved. I was especially pleased at how well he mingled with other adult guests – he got calls to “come up to Sports Deck and play pickle ball” – and asked and was asked to dance at the dance parties. GS did a walking excursion (prone to motion sickness so no long bus rides) in all 7 countries – and lots of photos.

The Regent Special Savings for Kids”  program is financially attractive for all under 18 years but the on-board activities seems very focused on the much younger - far too unsophisticated for those in mid to later teens! I expressed this opinion in each of my three post-cruise surveys.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE the Regent fare is cruise only. No included airfare; no “included” pre- or post-cruise program participation and no included one-night hotel (without a significant charge). The program does include normal access to excursions and dining reservations.

We’d be happy to answer questions for those who may have some interest.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We, frequent Regent cruisers, have just completed our third Regent cruise with a teenage grandchild. We thoroughly enjoyed the experiences.

The first such cruise was in 2015 with a 16-year-old granddaughter for a B2B on the Voyager for 30 days through the Baltic and the up/down the coast of Norway via Murmansk, Russia. Her cruise fare was about $3200 sharing our F category suite under the Regent “Special Savings for Kids” program that Regent offers on many itineraries between May and late August. GD lived nearby and had dinner with us often so we thought we knew her but the cruise was a great bonding experience. She was literally treated as a princess by the crew; they modified the pull-out bed until she was comfortable and couldn’t feel the “pea”! She had a great time with the Staff – even played water-polo (Staff vs. Passengers) within 500 miles of the North Pole. She conversed easily with other guests as she sat at the bar in OL late with the bartender filling her long-stem glassware with ginger ale.  She got our Trivia team its only perfect score. She participated fully in shore excursions (not big on museums) especially the active ones. Had her grandmother take a photo of her and a “good-looking guy” in each of the 9 countries for transmittal to girl friends back home.

The second such Regent cruise was in 2022 with a then 16-year-old grandson for 15 days on the Voyager from Southampton to Reykjavik via Greenland. His cruise fare was about $1700 for sharing our Penthouse B suite (a great layout for 3 persons). We didn’t see this grandson very often so we anticipated a wonderful experience and it was! All 3 of us had a great time. GS loved the food – often 5 meals each day; played on our Trivia team (not much help); attended all the shows, especially the late-night Horizon Lounge events (as he plays drums in Rock Music bands); and, did walking excursions in every port – adored Iceland.

The 3rd such Regent cruise was in July 2023 with the now 17-year-old GS on the Splendor for 10 days in the Baltic. His cruise fare was about $1450 in our Penthouse B suite (we took an upsell to B657) that was wonderful for 3 people. GS is now 5’10” plus but said the 6’ pull-out bed was “comfy”. Again, he enjoyed the food – would have eaten every night in Pacific Rim! This trip GS helped us in Trivia. GS did a Culinary Arts session (fish preparation) that he loved. I was especially pleased at how well he mingled with other adult guests – he got calls to “come up to Sports Deck and play pickle ball” – and asked and was asked to dance at the dance parties. GS did a walking excursion (prone to motion sickness so no long bus rides) in all 7 countries – and lots of photos.

The Regent Special Savings for Kids”  program is financially attractive for all under 18 years but the on-board activities seems very focused on the much younger - far too unsophisticated for those in mid to later teens! I expressed this opinion in each of my three post-cruise surveys.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE the Regent fare is cruise only. No included airfare; no “included” pre- or post-cruise program participation and no included one-night hotel (without a significant charge). The program does include normal access to excursions and dining reservations.

We’d be happy to answer questions for those who may have some interest.

We were onboard with you in 2022 for the Greenland cruise.  I spoke with your grandson several times.  He was very nice young man.  You told us about the Paper Mill theater in NJ.  My son and family have enjoyed many shows there in the last year. 

1 minute ago, rcandkc said:

We were onboard with you in 2022 for the Greenland cruise.  I spoke with your grandson several times.  He was very nice young man.  You told us about the Paper Mill theater in NJ.  My son and family have enjoyed many shows there in the last year. 

That is very near to where I grew up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

That is very near to where I grew up...

I go to the Paper Mill Playhouse, frequently with my mom.  I live 20 minutes away from it!  Excellent productions.  

I love the fact that your grandkids have enjoyed the trips.  I may have to think about this, since we have a 15 year grandson,  that is the easy going artist type.   Question,  what happens if you book the trip when the kid is 17 and turns 18 at the point that you sail?  Do you now get an up-charge? 

Thanks for posting DeepFreeze63!

I’ve just booked a family cruise to Alaska for my “special” birthday in 2025, including my GD & GS who will be 15 & 17 at the time. I realize there are more kids on Alaska summer cruises, but was a bit worried about them fitting in or getting bored, so nice to hear your experiences.

Our first cruise, and it was on a Regent, was with our 2 sons that just started college. It was in Alaska and we did wonderful private and semi private tours that I researched and booked on our my own. Regent wasn’t all inclusive back in those days. As great as the tours were, the time we spent at dinner, just sitting around and talking, was one of the most memorable experiences we will ever have. I know that my boys were a little older than yours but I am sure you will have those memorable experiences as well. Alaska is a port intensive cruise so take advantage of choosing active excursions and with spending quality time with your family. Times goes by fast. Memories will stay with you forever. 

• Thanks 1

My introduction to cruising was almost 35 years ago with my brother, parents, and grandparents. It was a wonderful trip on a Princess trans Panama Canal and introduced me to the joy of cruising. Cruising with family makes it even more special.

• Like 2

I was on the same cruise as Deepfreeze63 with her granddaughter and can attest that she is a lovely young woman who seemed to enjoy every moment of the cruise and is proof that young people can and do enjoy the Regent experience.

In my over 400 nights on Regent, I have only witnessed one instance of negative behavior by anyone under the age of 18. When the parents learned of the situation, they had their children personally apologize to everyone affected. The crime - playing catch in the hallway at 6:30am. Unfortunately cannot say the same thing for those in my age demographics, where I have witnessed numerous instances of people behaving badly and no apology was ever issued.

Another Paper Mill playhouse fan here - I grew up in an adjacent town and a big deal was having your birthday party at a Saturday matinee - I was fortunate to be able to have both my 9th and 10th birthday party celebrating at Paper Mill with nine of my friends. After the fire in 1980 which totally destroyed the entire complex, a family friend was in charge of the lighting restoration and he hired me to help with research. I still live within ten minutes of the theatre and it remains a local gem.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 3:51 PM, irishwitchy said:

I go to the Paper Mill Playhouse, frequently with my mom.  I live 20 minutes away from it!  Excellent productions.  

I love the fact that your grandkids have enjoyed the trips.  I may have to think about this, since we have a 15 year grandson,  that is the easy going artist type.   Question,  what happens if you book the trip when the kid is 17 and turns 18 at the point that you sail?  Do you now get an up-charge? 

It is the age on date of sailing - we were able to just get under the deadline because the 18th birthday occurred during the sailing - we actually changed the dates of our cruise because our original plan would have been after the child turned 18, even though we were booking almost two years in advance. This was a number of years ago, things may have changed.

20 hours ago, NYC-London said:

It is the age on date of sailing - we were able to just get under the deadline because the 18th birthday occurred during the sailing - we actually changed the dates of our cruise because our original plan would have been after the child turned 18, even though we were booking almost two years in advance. This was a number of years ago, things may have changed.

I expected this answer, so I would need to plan this soon!  I also did the birthday or Girl Scout trip to original the Paper Mill and my kids and grandkids have done the new one!