Wifi package and pay a la carte or upgrade to Premier?

lizjoemom

DH and I will be sailing on the Emerald in November and he will be needing to get a wifi package so that he can use his laptop and phones. I am trying to make an informed decision about whether or not to go all in for the new Premier pricing or just do a la carte, but having never been on Princess before I need some information and am hoping some of you can help me out. We are looking at the premier package because he needs multiple devices connnected and we enjoy the alternative dining and specialty restaurants when we cruise. However, he doesn't really drink at all except for bottled water (very little soda or alchohol), and I enjoy a few drinks while cruising but I know I won't be drinking 15 drinks during the day. All the other stuff, fitness classes, desserts, etc....we would probably not be using too much. So my question is about prices on board. How much is a water bottle or top shelf/better liquor drinks? What is the charge for the specialty restaurants (fine dining) and is it hard to make a reservation at them while on board?(if I cant get a reservation then what's the point?) What is the cost for room service now with the new price structure? (I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer). I appreciate any info that anyone can give me so that I can make the best decision for us. Thanks so much! Happy Sailing!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, lizjoemom said:

DH and I will be sailing on the Emerald in November and he will be needing to get a wifi package so that he can use his laptop and phones. I am trying to make an informed decision about whether or not to go all in for the new Premier pricing or just do a la carte, but having never been on Princess before I need some information and am hoping some of you can help me out. We are looking at the premier package because he needs multiple devices connnected and we enjoy the alternative dining and specialty restaurants when we cruise. However, he doesn't really drink at all except for bottled water (very little soda or alchohol), and I enjoy a few drinks while cruising but I know I won't be drinking 15 drinks during the day. All the other stuff, fitness classes, desserts, etc....we would probably not be using too much. So my question is about prices on board. How much is a water bottle or top shelf/better liquor drinks? What is the charge for the specialty restaurants (fine dining) and is it hard to make a reservation at them while on board?(if I cant get a reservation then what's the point?) What is the cost for room service now with the new price structure? (I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer). I appreciate any info that anyone can give me so that I can make the best decision for us. Thanks so much! Happy Sailing!

You don’t need 15 drinks to have a plan save you money. We take the Plus plan and then my wife upgrades the Wi-Fi plan to 4 devices just for her. 

@lizjoemom...the general consensus as to the "is it worth it" question for Plus or Premier is whether you feel you will use the drink benefits.  We are not heavy drinkers at all, but given that Plus includes WiFi, gratuities and what few drinks we actually get we always book Plus Fare.  I have heard it said that with only 2 drinks per day you break even.  You have to determine for yourself.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

53 minutes ago, lizjoemom said:

DH and I will be sailing on the Emerald in November and he will be needing to get a wifi package so that he can use his laptop and phones. I am trying to make an informed decision about whether or not to go all in for the new Premier pricing or just do a la carte, but having never been on Princess before I need some information and am hoping some of you can help me out. We are looking at the premier package because he needs multiple devices connnected and we enjoy the alternative dining and specialty restaurants when we cruise. However, he doesn't really drink at all except for bottled water (very little soda or alcohol), and I enjoy a few drinks while cruising but I know I won't be drinking 15 drinks during the day. All the other stuff, fitness classes, desserts, etc....we would probably not be using too much. So my question is about prices on board. How much is a water bottle or top shelf/better liquor drinks? What is the charge for the specialty restaurants (fine dining) and is it hard to make a reservation at them while on board?(if I cant get a reservation then what's the point?) What is the cost for room service now with the new price structure? (I haven't been able to find a clear cut answer). I appreciate any info that anyone can give me so that I can make the best decision for us. Thanks so much! Happy Sailing!

Premier = 2x $80/pp/day = $160/day (you do the math for your cruise length).

Crew Appreciation = $16/pp/day (unless in a Mini-Suite or Suite) = $32.

4-Device Internet Plan = $40/day.

SD Credits = 2x2x $39 = $156/voyage (you get 2 SD credits each for the voyage).

Your a la carte spending before beverages is:  $72/day x # days + $156.

Take that total and subtract from Premier cost of $160 x # days.

This net balance is your pot of money for beverages.

Now divide that balance by the # days of your voyage and you have an average dollar amount for beverages each day.  Now, divide that daily amount by 1.18 to get to a "bar menu price" total.

Question:  Will the two of you combined spend that much in beverages each day?

You can get start pack(s) of 500ml bottled water (12 in a pack) for about $7 and will be in your cabin.  Must be ordered pre-cruise.  On board, I think each bottle is about $2.

Bar drinks seem to range from $10/$11 up to $18 or so for most part. Beer is about $7 or more depending on brand.  Every drink price you see on the menu - including non-alcohol - attract 18% gratuity on top.  Regular coffee from specialty cafe locations is $2 and up for cappucino, etc.  Real fruit juice I forget cost.  There is a juice bar you can visit unlimited I believe with the Premier (you can read all the inclusions on Princess.com).  They just have changed things so Premier guests can also go to the "for-fee" Casual Dining locales unlimited times, so IDK how much you might do that as not mentioned.

You may not have to get into the weeds as you may find there is so much money on the table from Premier package cost that a la carte consumption works for you  If it looks close value, then get the package and no worries.

ETA:  Example using 10-night voyage.

Premier cost is $1,600.

A la carte = ($72 x 10) + $156 = $876.

Net balance = $724.

Divide by 1.18 to remove bar gratuity = $724 / 1.18 = ~$613.50

Beverage allocation per day = $61.35.

As mentioned above, this is an amount for two of you combined and you would add up bar/beverage menu prices and see how close you get.  You might think about a sea day versus a port day off the ship.  You might also consider amounts for any Casual Dining you want to go to that costs if not on the package.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2023 at 5:02 PM, Steelers36 said:

Premier = 2x $80/pp/day = $160/day (you do the math for your cruise length).

Crew Appreciation = $16/pp/day (unless in a Mini-Suite or Suite) = $32.

4-Device Internet Plan = $40/day.

SD Credits = 2x2x $39 = $156/voyage (you get 2 SD credits each for the voyage).

Your a la carte spending before beverages is:  $72/day x # days + $156.

Take that total and subtract from Premier cost of $160 x # days.

This net balance is your pot of money for beverages.

Now divide that balance by the # days of your voyage and you have an average dollar amount for beverages each day.  Now, divide that daily amount by 1.18 to get to a "bar menu price" total.

Question:  Will the two of you combined spend that much in beverages each day?

You can get start pack(s) of 500ml bottled water (12 in a pack) for about $7 and will be in your cabin.  Must be ordered pre-cruise.  On board, I think each bottle is about $2.

Bar drinks seem to range from $10/$11 up to $18 or so for most part. Beer is about $7 or more depending on brand.  Every drink price you see on the menu - including non-alcohol - attract 18% gratuity on top.  Regular coffee from specialty cafe locations is $2 and up for cappucino, etc.  Real fruit juice I forget cost.  There is a juice bar you can visit unlimited I believe with the Premier (you can read all the inclusions on Princess.com).  They just have changed things so Premier guests can also go to the "for-fee" Casual Dining locales unlimited times, so IDK how much you might do that as not mentioned.

You may not have to get into the weeds as you may find there is so much money on the table from Premier package cost that a la carte consumption works for you  If it looks close value, then get the package and no worries.

ETA:  Example using 10-night voyage.

Premier cost is $1,600.

A la carte = ($72 x 10) + $156 = $876.

Net balance = $724.

Divide by 1.18 to remove bar gratuity = $724 / 1.18 = ~$613.50

Beverage allocation per day = $61.35.

As mentioned above, this is an amount for two of you combined and you would add up bar/beverage menu prices and see how close you get.  You might think about a sea day versus a port day off the ship.  You might also consider amounts for any Casual Dining you want to go to that costs if not on the package.

Wow! Thank you so much for breaking it all down for me like that, it is exactly what I was looking for! Now I will do some number crunching! Thanks again!

On 7/31/2023 at 4:51 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

@lizjoemom...the general consensus as to the "is it worth it" question for Plus or Premier is whether you feel you will use the drink benefits.  We are not heavy drinkers at all, but given that Plus includes WiFi, gratuities and what few drinks we actually get we always book Plus Fare.  I have heard it said that with only 2 drinks per day you break even.  You have to determine for yourself.

Thank you very much, it's beginning to look like we are leaning towards the premier (only because we need multiple devices).

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 4:49 PM, memoak said:

You don’t need 15 drinks to have a plan save you money. We take the Plus plan and then my wife upgrades the Wi-Fi plan to 4 devices just for her. 

That is a good point, I will work the numbers that way as well! Thank you!

• Like 1

I only cruise about once every two years, so I get a good location mini suite and the premier package. Then I just enjoy the all inclusive feeling and don't worry if they came out on top. Of coarse it it skewed in their favor just like the grocery store. They make me buy a whole loaf of bread, and I only need one forth of a loaf.  Just get the best and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lizjoemom said:

Thank you very much, it's beginning to look like we are leaning towards the premier (only because we need multiple devices).

does he need multiple devices connected at the same time? if not, it is very easy to switch back & forth from one to the other & he can use your plan when you are not using it...

First time on Princess.

Plus is advertised as including gratuities. Do those gratuities only include the daily gratuities? Each drink will actually cost me 18% of the menu price- even the juices and sodas? Seemed too good to be true…

50 minutes ago, robbinsca said:

First time on Princess.

Plus is advertised as including gratuities. Do those gratuities only include the daily gratuities? Each drink will actually cost me 18% of the menu price- even the juices and sodas? Seemed too good to be true…

No.  All gratuities are included in the Plus/Premier cruise fare options.

• Like 3

thanks so much to everyone for the great info. I'm thinking we will just do the premier, seems to be worth it, I especially like the idea of reserved seating for the shows as last time I was on Carnival it was difficult to find good seats! Also, we will definitely use the specialty dining and will have enough devices to be able to post a live post every day! Stay tuned.....

A six pack of water paid in advance is just $7.08 total. The internet is about $30 daily for multiple devises This doesn't come close to what you'd pay for the drink packages since you stated you don't drink.  . Gratuity is at your discretion and I adjust the amount down ward. If you're wondering why there is a plethora of threads about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

A six pack of water paid in advance is just $7.08 total. The internet is about $30 daily for multiple devises This doesn't come close to what you'd pay for the drink packages since you stated you don't drink.  . Gratuity is at your discretion and I adjust the amount down ward. If you're wondering why there is a plethora of threads about it. 

Most of the reasons boil down to be cheap.