Do all fares have a non-refundable deposit?

It's been a long time since I have cruised with Royal but I'm looking at a few cruises for March 2024. I'm noticing that all the fares that are coming up are non-refundable deposits. Is there a way to get a refundable deposit (and likely pay a higher price)? Non-refundable deposits are not an option for us at this point because of work schedule. Thank you! 

Just now, sunset785 said:

It's been a long time since I have cruised with Royal but I'm looking at a few cruises for March 2024. I'm noticing that all the fares that are coming up are non-refundable deposits. Is there a way to get a refundable deposit (and likely pay a higher price)? Non-refundable deposits are not an option for us at this point because of work schedule. Thank you! 

You can still get refundable deposits. You can even get them with better prices via TA group rates but if not using a TA they are still available direct from RC.

I haven’t booked directly in a while so someone else will have to tell you how to do it (other than calling of course).

You can get a refundable deposit fare but the price will be higher. I believe the option appears later in the booking process if you are booking direct. I think it shows up as a checkbox with the price amount increase per person. 

If using a travel agent, they can easily see the refundable vs non refundable rates. Also, travel agents often have group rates where the prices are sometimes lower, have additional perks, and travel agent group rates are almost always refundable deposit rates. 

• Like 2

Royal, very irritatingly, have non-refundable as the default on their website. To get to the refundable option you have to go pretty much all the way through the booking process, inputting passenger details. Just before the payment page, you get to one that has dining, insurance and refundable deposit options. It's a real pain in the whatsit especially if you're pricing more than one sailing, so if you usually work with a TA, it's much less hassle to get them to check prices for you.

Note, however, that suites are always non-refundable deposit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Royal, very irritatingly, have non-refundable as the default on their website. To get to the refundable option you have to go pretty much all the way through the booking process, inputting passenger details. Just before the payment page, you get to one that has dining, insurance and refundable deposit options. It's a real pain in the whatsit especially if you're pricing more than one sailing, so if you usually work with a TA, it's much less hassle to get them to check prices for you.

Note, however, that suites are always non-refundable deposit.

+1

Much easier to check refundable/non-refundable on third party websites where you can put in filters or as suggested go for a TA group rate which is usually refundable. I rarely use Royal site for research, too time consuming.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Suites have refundable deposit rates. But again, be prepared to pay a higher rate just to get a refundable deposit option. 

Suites no longer have a refundable option.  Junior suites and up are now all non refundable and also require a 10% deposit or the $100 / $250 / $450 pp deposit, whichever is higher

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJustice said:

I seem to recall a link to GUARANTEE rooms impacting the availability of the refundable/NRD option appearing. Sure someone will answer definitively 🙂

Guarantee rooms booked on Royals consumer site are non refundable.

Travel agents may have refundable category specific guarantees when they continue to hold group space and Royal is no longer showing cabins available in that category

2 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

and travel agent group rates are almost always refundable deposit rates.

True group rates are always refundable.  Where some confusion lies is that a TA may book a person in a category that is not held in group space at a regular non refundable rate and move it into the group to get the benefts however it will still remain as non refundable but all double occupancy group rates are refundable

41 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

True group rates are always refundable.  Where some confusion lies is that a TA may book a person in a category that is not held in group space at a regular non refundable rate and move it into the group to get the benefts however it will still remain as non refundable but all double occupancy group rates are refundable

Ken, what happens if you want to add a third person to a refundable (or non refundable) deposit booking at a later time (presuming that the booked cabin can house a third person)? Does the entire  booking/deposit reprice, or just add the cost of the third person?

37 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Ken, what happens if you want to add a third person to a refundable (or non refundable) deposit booking at a later time (presuming that the booked cabin can house a third person)? Does the entire  booking/deposit reprice, or just add the cost of the third person?

Providing that you initially booked a cabin that held 3 or more guests then You should be able to add the third guest just by paying the third person fare without a reprice of the entire reservation.  When there is 3 already in the room they will even price the 4th at the same rate that the third paid regardless of the current price.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Providing that you initially booked a cabin that held 3 or more guests then You should be able to add the third guest just by paying the third person fare without a reprice of the entire reservation.  When there is 3 already in the room they will even price the 4th at the same rate that the third paid regardless of the current price.

Thanks Ken, We were considering adding our grandson to a cruise we have booked for next July in a GS that sleeps 4, and the current price for a GS on that cruise for two has more than tripled since we booked. Repricing everything would have been a deal breaker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

You can get a refundable deposit fare but the price will be higher. I believe the option appears later in the booking process if you are booking direct. I think it shows up as a checkbox with the price amount increase per person. 

If using a travel agent, they can easily see the refundable vs non refundable rates. Also, travel agents often have group rates where the prices are sometimes lower, have additional perks, and travel agent group rates are almost always refundable deposit rates. 

True. On Royal site most my Cruises list Refundable $350-450 more. Once in while will find one that's cheaper then non, Royal IT at it's best