Cruise to Iceland

abby1257

Not our job to talk you into it.  Read some here and on TripAdvisor.

I'll just say that Iceland is best seen on a land cruise.  There are few ports, all but two are very small, and there is not the tourist infrastructure that other countries have that will support 1,000+ people landing in a small village so you'll be stuck with ship tours.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 3:44 PM, abby1257 said:

.talk me into it....:)

If you need "talked into it", this isn't maybe the destination for you as Iceland is more "niche" as it is quite unique in many ways which, depending on your interests, may or may not be to your liking.

To help you decide, you would be better to read read and read all about Iceland and what it offers the visitor whether on land or by sea. Much info and many  images can be found online in a multitude of websites, also by reading past threads and posts, guide books etc.

Edited by edinburgher

As #3 said, Iceland is best done by land.  Easy to drive, not many roads, very well signed, almost everyone speaks English.  

Seeing a glacier or a waterfall with no one but your family is incredible.  You can't get that on a cruise where you are either going to be on a bus with 40 other folks or even on a private tour with a guide.

We have done two cruises to Iceland and a 21 day driving trip around Iceland.  The driving tour was a vastly superior experience.  We made four stops on the Holland America Voyage of the Vikings.  This cruise only whetted our appetite for Iceland.  After we did the driving trip we did a 8 day circumnavigation of Iceland on a Hurtigruten Expedition.  If you only have a short period of time to see Iceland, the circumnavigation with extra days before and after the cruise in Reykjavik. It is hard to spend the afternoon soaking in a hot spring on a cruise.  On a driving tour you can end almost everyday with a hot soak.  Iceland has a number of excellent restaurants which not be available on a cruise.   

Look up Iceland Guided Tours, they are really good and pick you up from the ship in 8 seater mini buses. Our driver was extremely informative and took us to many places from Rekjavik and Akureyri. We were given sufficient time at each stop and there were restrooms along the way. Can really recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Star London to Reykjavik last August.  We stayed in Iceland three days post trip and fell in love with it.  So much so that we are. Returning in 2025.  We did our tours through Nice Travels and highly recommend them.  They also offer discounts for multiple days.  I would recommend you go the various tour companies and look at their excursions before you book your cruise.  I agree that Iceland is probably best seen by land rather than ship, or at least plan on doing a significant amount of time pre or post cruise.  

• 5 months later...

We like to always start with a cruise.  Wets our appetite. If we want more, we then do a land vacation. But we are all about getting a lay of the land first.  We have done many many land tours so I am not against them at all. We are doing Iceland and Norway in June 2024.  And I am looking at booking another Norway one in 2025 more extensive than the one we are going on in June as I fear the loss of the ability to cruise Norway past 2025 with Norway suspending the ability of ships to travel their fair fyjords.