Anchorage and Seward Logistics

alaskaboy2

I did northbound last year and took a bus transfer which included a wildlife center which was amazing. 

This year I’m going southbound with my mom and we are taking the train (it’s EARLY). From the train station we are taking a tour in Seward which includes exit glacier, sealife center, kenai fjord national park, and downtown Seward. They drop us off at the ship afterwards. It’s a max of 16 people on the tour so we are looking forward to the smaller group size.

• Like 1

A lot of people are saying the train is much better. The train takes a route that you won't see from a car. That also means that a car takes a route that you won't see from the train. I have never taken the train so I can't compare but I have made the trip in a car 3 times and I still vote for the car. I like the option of being able to stop when, where and for how long I want. There are many quaint, Alaskan shops, bars and restaurants along the route that are nice to visit that give a genuine feel of Alaska.

• Thanks 1

After checking your bags at the depot, take the 6:45 a.m. train from Anchorage the morning of your cruise.  After arriving in Seward around 11:00 a.m., immediately board the Kenai Fjords or Marine Major 6 hour boat tour of the Kenai.  It returns to Seward around 5:00 p.m., in plenty of time to board your cruise ship.  The Kenai may be the best "excursion" you do in all of Alaska.  The bags you checked in Anchorage will be waiting for you in your stateroom.

It really couldn't be easier.

• Thanks 2

On 8/7/2023 at 9:52 AM, alaskaboy2 said:

I'm likely going to rent a car and do some exploring.   Pretty much - 319 days away - can't wait.  LOL

Keep your eye on rental car prices and you might ask about that in a separate thread or read some of the cruise reviews or topics that include rental cars.  Prices for rental cars are INSANE here and if you see a good price, you really do have to grab it.  Will things get better in a year; I personally doubt it.  Just an FYI to you.  Another option depending on how many days pre or post cruise, you could rent an RV also and then you kill two birds with one stone; rental and accommodations.  Accommodations are also insane here; at least at the hotels, and dumb down your expectations.  A place that we normally rent in winter for $150 goes for $375 in summer.  Just sayin.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Keep your eye on rental car prices and you might ask about that in a separate thread or read some of the cruise reviews or topics that include rental cars.  Prices for rental cars are INSANE here and if you see a good price, you really do have to grab it.  Will things get better in a year; I personally doubt it.  Just an FYI to you.  Another option depending on how many days pre or post cruise, you could rent an RV also and then you kill two birds with one stone; rental and accommodations.  Accommodations are also insane here; at least at the hotels, and dumb down your expectations.  A place that we normally rent in winter for $150 goes for $375 in summer.  Just sayin.  

That is a true statement.  I spend some time on that yesterday and found (and this was weird) that AARP's deal was by far the best out there.  It was like $250 less than anywhere else (and for the record, I've been planning my trips for decades and work online so I know how to dig into this stuff).  It's still outrageous but it was such a "good deal" I grabbed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alaskaboy2 said:

That is a true statement.  I spend some time on that yesterday and found (and this was weird) that AARP's deal was by far the best out there.  It was like $250 less than anywhere else (and for the record, I've been planning my trips for decades and work online so I know how to dig into this stuff).  It's still outrageous but it was such a "good deal" I grabbed it.

Is that the thrifty Minnesotan in you?  We are transplants born and raised in St. Paul and moved to AK 20 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Is that the thrifty Minnesotan in you?  We are transplants born and raised in St. Paul and moved to AK 20 years ago. 

Ha, yeah, I suppose.  LOL   More like the anal retentive in me.  🙂  When I buy cars I research them to death and end up knowing more about them than the sales guy.  Works to my advantage.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Rental cars have gotten insane everywhere pretty much and Alaska is just even worse. I couldn’t believe the price of hotels so I kept looking and when a good price popped up I booked it right away.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

If you are spending a few days in Anchorage, the BEST excursion we have ever been on was the “26 Glacier tour”.  

Pick up was at the Captain Cook hotel, which by the way we feel is the nicest hotel  in town.  We have also stayed at Hilton and another, I believe Marriott.

For 26 glacier a bus will transport you down to Whittier about an hour scenic drive down the Turnagain Arm.  Whittier itself is interesting, but not much other to do as it’s so small the entire population lives in one, 190 unit building. It is flat out beautiful.

If you have a car and want to see a beautiful rustic neat ol place, drive up the main highway to Talkeetna for shopping, lunch, and don’t miss Shirley's ice cream. 

Eddie

On the 26 glacier tour, do you recall about what time you were back in Anchorage (thinking about dinner plans)? Did you do the glacier tour or the wildlife tour?

14 minutes ago, ngrund said:

On the 26 glacier tour, do you recall about what time you were back in Anchorage (thinking about dinner plans)? Did you do the glacier tour or the wildlife tour?

The 26 glacier cruise gets back to Whittier at 6:20 and the Glacier Quest tour gets back at 4:45.  If it were me, I would do the 26 glacier cruise.  I think we got to Anchorage at 7:30pm.  

17 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

The 26 glacier cruise gets back to Whittier at 6:20 and the Glacier Quest tour gets back at 4:45.  If it were me, I would do the 26 glacier cruise.  I think we got to Anchorage at 7:30pm.  

Thanks, I didn't see it yesterday, but just found the times on their website,back in Anchorage about 8:30 PM

https://phillipscruises.com/rates/

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

Thanks, I didn't see it yesterday, but just found the times on their website,back in Anchorage about 8:30 PM

https://phillipscruises.com/rates/

We did the Radiance southbound in 2013. Stayed at Ship Creek Comfort Inn (now Wyndham).  Flew in, dinner at Simon & Shuforts (sp?). Next day, walked to train station, train to Whittier, 26 Glacier tour, train back.  Beautiful scenery!  Next day, train to Seward (as others have said, a can’t miss awesome scenic ride), Kenai Fords Tours 6 hour tour.  After, boyfriend wanted to walk to ship. Not too bad unless you have all your luggage! How he talked me into that, I’ll never know, lol. But we made it! Sweaty first pic though!

As others have noted, rental cars are expensive but especially so if you don’t drop off where you picked up.

Edited by KruisinKath

3 hours ago, ngrund said:

We actually visited Anchorage in Aug 2021, after it sort of opened but not to cruise ships.  Crowds were smaller and excursions were thankful customers had returned.  So the day we did the 26 glacier tour, they asked if anyone had a flight to catch that evening, or any other pressing matter to remain on their posted time schedule. Not a person objected and at no added charge they therefore extended the tour by a little more than 2 hours I believe.  So we were well late getting back to Anchorage. I imagine now they stick to their schedule mostly.  

On a different excursion the next day, same thing happened.  On that one they made a 4 hour tour a 7 hour tour, again no added fee, but I am sure the tips were great.  

And if if one of you planned restaurants to visit is the 49th State Brewery, plan on going at a very off time, or plan on a long wait....the place is always packed.  

14 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

We actually visited Anchorage in Aug 2021, after it sort of opened but not to cruise ships.  Crowds were smaller and excursions were thankful customers had returned.  So the day we did the 26 glacier tour, they asked if anyone had a flight to catch that evening, or any other pressing matter to remain on their posted time schedule. Not a person objected and at no added charge they therefore extended the tour by a little more than 2 hours I believe.  So we were well late getting back to Anchorage. I imagine now they stick to their schedule mostly.  

On a different excursion the next day, same thing happened.  On that one they made a 4 hour tour a 7 hour tour, again no added fee, but I am sure the tips were great.  

And if if one of you planned restaurants to visit is the 49th State Brewery, plan on going at a very off time, or plan on a long wait....the place is always packed.  

Yep, 49th State is on the short list, but probably not on the day we do the 26 Glacier Tour

We did the train last month with a large group of friends and it was a highlight of the trip. We booked the gold start class on the coastal classic directly with Alaska Railroad. We booked it EARLY (like as soon as it opened in October for our July cruise) and were glad we did because we heard it sold out mid winter. It was EPIC, perfect for kids and adults alike. We had the second level glass top car that we stayed in the whole time (no limit like the regular class). It included a nice breakfast downstairs, 2 drinks at a bar per person and complimentary non-alcoholic drinks. All of the adults wound up splitting the vouchers for the kids drinks. It also has an outdoor area in the back of the train under cover so you can take photos and see things without looking through the glass. I spent almost my whole time out there. It was great for the kids to be outside or inside as they liked. It was really perfect and I would not do the trip any other way.

You book directly on the Alaska Railroad site once this season is over and then you just take an uber to the train station downtown the morning of the train. It is a very early morning, but we just arrived the night before so were still feeling east coast time which made it easier. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeeden said:

We did the train last month with a large group of friends and it was a highlight of the trip. We booked the gold start class on the coastal classic directly with Alaska Railroad. We booked it EARLY (like as soon as it opened in October for our July cruise) and were glad we did because we heard it sold out mid winter. It was EPIC, perfect for kids and adults alike. We had the second level glass top car that we stayed in the whole time (no limit like the regular class). It included a nice breakfast downstairs, 2 drinks at a bar per person and complimentary non-alcoholic drinks. All of the adults wound up splitting the vouchers for the kids drinks. It also has an outdoor area in the back of the train under cover so you can take photos and see things without looking through the glass. I spent almost my whole time out there. It was great for the kids to be outside or inside as they liked. It was really perfect and I would not do the trip any other way.

You book directly on the Alaska Railroad site once this season is over and then you just take an uber to the train station downtown the morning of the train. It is a very early morning, but we just arrived the night before so were still feeling east coast time which made it easier. 

Thanks for the info.

How do they handle luggage?

Just now, alaskaboy2 said:

Thanks for the info.

Brought our luggage to the train station with the cruise tags on it. There is a check in for the luggage (under a white outdoor tent) where they put it on the truck. A lot of people were filling out tags there, not sure why they didn't bring printed ones. We never saw the luggage again until the cruise when it was delivered to our stateroom. 

You then check in inside the train station itself, just tell them your name and tickets, they give you a voucher, some maps, etc. There is a bottle fill in the station for water and a very small coffee shop that is impressive at how fast they are able to serve everyone. It gets VERY crowded when some of the larger groups on buses arrive, but once we checked in we went outside to eat our breakfast and then they started calling groups for each car to come and board. Very casual boarding with time to stop outside the train and take photos etc. I have a million photos from it. It was just too good.

alaska.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeeden said:

Brought our luggage to the train station with the cruise tags on it. There is a check in for the luggage (under a white outdoor tent) where they put it on the truck. A lot of people were filling out tags there, not sure why they didn't bring printed ones. We never saw the luggage again until the cruise when it was delivered to our stateroom. 

You then check in inside the train station itself, just tell them your name and tickets, they give you a voucher, some maps, etc. There is a bottle fill in the station for water and a very small coffee shop that is impressive at how fast they are able to serve everyone. It gets VERY crowded when some of the larger groups on buses arrive, but once we checked in we went outside to eat our breakfast and then they started calling groups for each car to come and board. Very casual boarding with time to stop outside the train and take photos etc. I have a million photos from it. It was just too good.

alaska.jpg

Excellent.  Thank you for the info.  I've been leaning toward the train vs. bus.  Being able to move around, take some photos, etc. is too much to pass up.  

Is the white tent an RC operation?  And yeah, why people don't have their tags printed out and already on the luggage is strange.

1 minute ago, alaskaboy2 said:

Excellent.  Thank you for the info.  I've been leaning toward the train vs. bus.  Being able to move around, take some photos, etc. is too much to pass up.  

Is the white tent an RC operation?  And yeah, why people don't have their tags printed out and already on the luggage is strange.

I think the tent is part of the train station/alaska railroad operation, but the people you hand the luggage to and the transfer of luggage is a RC operation I believe. 

I was so glad we paid for the upgraded gold star class. It seemed like a reasonable increase in price on paper. If I knew how good it was I would have paid even more for it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 9:00 AM, quack2 said:

After checking your bags at the depot, take the 6:45 a.m. train from Anchorage the morning of your cruise.  After arriving in Seward around 11:00 a.m., immediately board the Kenai Fjords or Marine Major 6 hour boat tour of the Kenai.  It returns to Seward around 5:00 p.m., in plenty of time to board your cruise ship.  The Kenai may be the best "excursion" you do in all of Alaska.  The bags you checked in Anchorage will be waiting for you in your stateroom.

It really couldn't be easier.

How far us the walk from tour boat to Cruise ship?  My itinerary shows the Radiance of the Sea departing at 7.    

Rental car warning/advise….

Be sure to check availability of a Seward DROP OFF for a rental car if you decide on a rental from Anchorage.  I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, only HERTZ has a drop off in Seward.

Yes, pricey and limited car availability so book/reserve well ahead of time.  I also reconfirm regularly.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, roupa said:

Rental car warning/advise….

Be sure to check availability of a Seward DROP OFF for a rental car if you decide on a rental from Anchorage.  I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, only HERTZ has a drop off in Seward.

Yes, pricey and limited car availability so book/reserve well ahead of time.  I also reconfirm regularly.

Yeah, it was something I checked and didn't see a major company with that option.  Rented for airport to airport and will Uber back to the hotel the night before.  Less hassle on the Day Of. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, Jeeden said:

We booked the GoldStar class on the coastal classic directly with Alaska Railroad. * * * We had the second level glass top car that we stayed in the whole time (no limit like the regular class). * * * It also has an outdoor area in the back of the train under cover so you can take photos and see things without looking through the glass.

Some additional distinctions. The first class, or "GoldStar Service," uses Ultra Dome coaches solely. While there is a scenic view from one's seat the entire time, you're in the sun continuously as there is no overhead or window shades to provide cover. As well, there is no overhead baggage rack, so anything you bring with you gets placed on the floor. With dining on the lower level, you spend your entire time within this one car. The less expensive coach, or "Adventure" class, service, uses multiple cars. Passengers get an assigned coach seat in a car with roof that offers cover and generous baggage racks so belonging can be kept off the floor. There's a separate Vista-Dome car, the classic design that offers, in my opinion, the best viewing space, more so than the Ultra Dome cars. Outdoor viewing can be had in the vestibules where dutch doors provide the opportunity for viewing the passing scenery. Food and beverages are not included in the fare, so there is no compulsion to partake, but if desired there are separate dining and café cars offering a variety of choices. Passengers should not feel as though they will be missing out on the experience by foregoing the expensive first class "GoldStar Service," and may be pleasantly surprised with the value offered with the "Adventure" coach class service.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, alaskaboy2 said:

There are multiple baggage services. Included in the price of the railroad ticket is the transportation of two pieces of baggage, 50 pounds maximum each, per person, transported in the baggage car by the Alaska Railroad, from the Anchorage railroad station to the Seward railroad station. Included in the price of a cruise vessel ticket is the transportation of baggage within the limits set by the cruise line, transported by a truck arranged for by the cruise line, from the Anchorage railroad station to one's stateroom onboard the vessel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an incredible thread.  I have learned SO much.  Thank you to all who have taken the time to share their experiences.  You have no idea how much this Southerner appreciates all of the tips, as we attempt to plan our first time to cruise in Alaska (either in 2025 or 2026).

• Like 1