Typical wine by the glass prices?

Augustsunshine

I have seeing some really outlandish prices quoted for wine by glass on a specific NCL SHIP. (On a group “which can not be named”.) Can anyone give recent info? I assume that with the standard, non-premium, beverage package there would be plenty of selections costing only a few extra dollars. Am I wrong? Is it possible you can’t believe everything you read??

7 hours ago, Augustsunshine said:

I have seeing some really outlandish prices quoted for wine by glass on a specific NCL SHIP. (On a group “which can not be named”.) Can anyone give recent info? I assume that with the standard, non-premium, beverage package there would be plenty of selections costing only a few extra dollars. Am I wrong? Is it possible you can’t believe everything you read??

Prices from a recent cruise.

image.thumb.png.4529f8264a8f409abcd79c529cd74eaa.png

image.thumb.jpeg.2fa482cb42afc88657238563bd113146.jpeg

image.thumb.png.c5822dcccec293fb7281b6f70175de62.png

• Thanks 4

The ongoing situation does provide incentive to carry onboard favorite wines.

The fact that NCL no longer charges the "corkage fee" to do so has increased the incentive to have what we truly prefer.  (In reality, we might, or might not, do so.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KateQ22003 said:

Not sure if you drink red or white, but we love the NCL East-West red blend. It is a Mondavi wine, and very good. It costs $4.80 a glass over the drink package ($4.00 upcharge plus 20% tip). 

Agree! It is a nice red that DH and I have enjoyed quite a few times.

1 hour ago, KateQ22003 said:

Not sure if you drink red or white, but we love the NCL East-West red blend. It is a Mondavi wine, and very good. It costs $4.80 a glass over the drink package ($4.00 upcharge plus 20% tip). 

Thank you for this recommendation. Having seen the NCL-branded stuff on the menus, I never had any idea if it was good. (But I have enjoyed Mondavi wines in the past, so that's a good indication) I'll try some on our next cruise in 3 months. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Just my opinion.  Life is too short to drink cheap wine.

LOL. The thing is, and I'm sure you already know this, but TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE. 🙂 I really enjoy the Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon, but I remember someone on CC saying it was swill or nasty. Well, guess what? I don't care about others' palates, only mine. If I like it, it's good. If you don't, great, that means more for me! 🤣😁

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

LOL. The thing is, and I'm sure you already know this, but TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE. 🙂 I really enjoy the Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon, but I remember someone on CC saying it was swill or nasty. Well, guess what? I don't care about others' palates, only mine. If I like it, it's good. If you don't, great, that means more for me! 🤣😁

I used to feel the same way about inexpensive wines but as I grew older I began to appreciate the finer wines.   It's very much like the saying 'You won't want to go back once you've been in the Haven.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I used to feel the same way about inexpensive wines but as I grew older I began to appreciate the finer wines.   It's very much like the saying 'You won't want to go back once you've been in the Haven.'

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of truth to that. I enjoy going to Olive Garden for what it is, but there's no comparison between that and pasta at a restaurant in Italy. 🙂 At the same time, I love Old Fashioneds, whether they're made with Maker's Mark or Jim Beam. But I don't see the value in having them made with Whistle Pig or Pappy Van Winkle. Same with wines: I enjoy fine wines, but I also have bills to pay, so I'm happy to settle for a Spanish Rioja with my steak (included in NCL's beverage package) vs a fancier red that costs me extra. To each his own.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of truth to that. I enjoy going to Olive Garden for what it is, but there's no comparison between that and pasta at a restaurant in Italy. 🙂 At the same time, I love Old Fashioneds, whether they're made with Maker's Mark or Jim Beam. But I don't see the value in having them made with Whistle Pig or Pappy Van Winkle. Same with wines: I enjoy fine wines, but I also have bills to pay, so I'm happy to settle for a Spanish Rioja with my steak (included in NCL's beverage package) vs a fancier red that costs me extra. To each his own.

Rioja is way too sweet for me.  Old Fashioneds too for that matter.

Premium spirits like Whistle Pig is wasted in mixed drinks, meant to be savored.

I would love to try Pappy's but the cheapest is around $10K if it can be found.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Rioja is way too sweet for me.  Old Fashioneds too for that matter.

Premium spirits like Whistle Pig is wasted in mixed drinks, meant to be savored.

I would love to try Pappy's but the cheapest is around $10K if it can be found.  

Oh wow, I had some Rioja last night at dinner (Spanish restaurant) and it's definitely not sweet, at least not to me. But there again, taste is subjective. I don't like straight bourbon, only drink it in cocktails. My brother-in-law, who lives in Kentucky, really likes bourbon. He said he tried Pappy's and said it was nothing special. So I guess it really depends who you are and what you like. I despise sushi and won't even touch it, yet I've had people say I was "wrong." How can I be wrong if it's just something I don't like? And they'll ask "why don't you like it?" And I'll say "well, if I put food in my mouth and it doesn't taste good, I don't like it." Not sure why people even ask why, do they think people should have to justify why they don't like the taste of something?

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Oh wow, I had some Rioja last night at dinner (Spanish restaurant) and it's definitely not sweet, at least not to me. But there again, taste is subjective. I don't like straight bourbon, only drink it in cocktails. My brother-in-law, who lives in Kentucky, really likes bourbon. He said he tried Pappy's and said it was nothing special. So I guess it really depends who you are and what you like. I despise sushi and won't even touch it, yet I've had people say I was "wrong." How can I be wrong if it's just something I don't like? And they'll ask "why don't you like it?" And I'll say "well, if I put food in my mouth and it doesn't taste good, I don't like it." Not sure why people even ask why, do they think people should have to justify why they don't like the taste of something?

Reminds me of liver.   I  can't stand liver in any form. 

What gets me is this:  The most common response from someone is, I have this recipe, you'll love it, it doesn't taste like liver.  Well, if you have to fix something so it doesn't taste like itself ....

Lots of people like Meomi Pinot Noir.  I can't stand it, too fruit forward, ie, sweet.  

I do like bourbon and water.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Looks like you'll pay $29 per glass for any of hte decent wines.

Seems like I'll have to buy the plus package.

When we were on the Prima in April, we splurged for the P+ package...and then found out that they were out of most of the "good" wines in many places. If you have particular tastes, it may behoove you to bring your own wine onboard (especially since the corkage fee is waived for those with FAS).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pitzel said:

When we were on the Prima in April, we splurged for the P+ package...and then found out that they were out of most of the "good" wines in many places. If you have particular tastes, it may behoove you to bring your own wine onboard (especially since the corkage fee is waived for those with FAS).

I haven't decided yet on the plus. 

The better wines are the attraction.

We're flying so it's more difficult to bring our own.

Will make up my mind closer to sailing.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I haven't decided yet on the plus. 

The better wines are the attraction.

We're flying so it's more difficult to bring our own.

Will make up my mind closer to sailing.

We have sometimes stopped by a liquor/wine store once we arrive in our departure city so that we don't have to fly with the wine bottles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

We have sometimes stopped by a liquor/wine store once we arrive in our departure city so that we don't have to fly with the wine bottles.

We have done that too.

I'm toying with the idea of getting delivery to our hotel.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Looks like you'll pay $29 per glass for any of hte decent wines.

Seems like I'll have to buy the plus package.

The Silverado is only $25 and decent is a good way to describe it. We always bring some of our own wine.

Edited by fastpitchdad

27 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

That's exactly what we did on our last cruise (Japan, April 2023). We stopped at a small grocery store near our hotel the day before embarkation and bought 3 bottles of wine. Will likely do the same in November on the Breakaway. I *think* they have a few decent bottles of wine in Rome, Italy. 🤣

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not much difference between $25 a glass and $29 a glass.

I was just pointing out that it also qualifies in the decent category 🙂. We are getting Premium Plus for our cruise next week as well. If you do upgrade and your ship has a Cellars, go there and talk to the Sommelier,  they often have some other good options for you to try.