Formal Nights

sabrefan

Have sailed previously on Viking and Oceania where there are no formal nights. I assume if you eat dinner in the buffet that formal dress there is not a requirement? What about a place like Alfredo’s or even the specialty restaurants, is formal dress still a requirement? Very used to country club casual type dress for dinner.

Princess has come kicking and screaming into the 21st-century. There is no longer such thing as a dress code in the MDR or elsewhere. This, despite what the fashion police will still try to shame you into believing. Bottom line is be comfortable. 

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many of our European cousins, especially the Brits, still like to dress up for dining in the MDR on formal nights. So if you are cruising in the British Isles you might consider taking it up a notch on those nights (for MDR). After all you are there to experience the culture. 

Most other cruises, country club casual will be the norm. 

Edited by roadster08

To answer the OPs question:  pool deck food (grill, pizza, ice cream) - you can walk up and order in your bathing suit; buffet - put a cover-up over your bathing suit; casual restaurants (Alfredos, Salty Dog Gastropub, sushi) - wear clothing; specialty restaurants (Crown Grill, Sabatinis) - smart casual every night (nice jeans or slacks, nice shirt or top); MDR - formal nights - nice slacks and collared shirts for men, slacks and nice top or dress for women are usually OK. 

As others have said, you will rarely see people in full formal dress.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Prost Seattle said:

I don’t plan on bringing a tie, but I’ll have a couple of sport coats and a suit.  

Only if you feel the need to dress up a bit, otherwise it's become a casual cruise line at all the dining locations. 

• Like 1

My DH hasn't packed or worn a tie in years. He used to carry a sport coat with him in case it was chilly, but no longer does that. He wears a pair of dark slacks, & like MissP22's husband, wears a collared polo shirt. We fit in just fine in the mdr on dress up nights & regular nights. As many have said, dress for your own comfort & enjoyment. Hats off to those who bring suits, tuxes, a different evening gown with matching shoes for each night. I would never, ever do that again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Princess has come kicking and screaming into the 21st-century. There is no longer such thing as a dress code in the MDR or elsewhere. This, despite what the fashion police will still try to shame you into believing. Bottom line is be comfortable. 

The minimum standard for smart casual dress is fine on any night but there is a dress code. Some restaurant managers  turn people wearing shorts away at the MDR.

It’s possible that the dress code won’t be followed but no one can predict whether the policy will be enforced on any ship on any given night. If eating in the MDR is important to a passenger, they should plan accordingly.

IMG_7411.jpeg.8bd80f43c7e91c2f48ab6a4be4ace141.jpeg

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

The minimum standard for smart casual dress is fine on any night but there is a dress code.

If you consider that a dress code, then yes Princess does have one but it's a far cry from what it use to be a few years ago. Todays dress requirements are left up to the passenger to decide on both casual & formal nights. 

Although shorts & baseball caps are spelled out as not acceptable, they very common on casual nights with some individuals. 

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

The minimum standard for smart casual dress is fine on any night but there is a dress code. Some restaurant managers  turn people wearing shorts away at the MDR.

It’s possible that the dress code won’t be followed but no one can predict whether the policy will be enforced on any ship on any given night. If eating in the MDR is important to a passenger, they should plan accordingly.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

How worn do the shoes need to be?  I have a new pair of shoes I was planning to take on my next cruise?  😉

23 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If you consider that a dress code, then yes Princess does have one but it's a far cry from what it use to be a few years ago. Todays dress requirements are left up to the passenger to decide on both casual & formal nights. 

Although shorts & baseball caps are spelled out as not acceptable, they very common on casual nights with some individuals. 

Are the ballcap being worn with the bill forward or backward?  I've observed that wearing the ballcap backwards lowers the wearer's IQ by around fifty percent.

• Haha 10

Just now, SargassoPirate said:

How worn do the shoes need to be?  I have a new pair of shoes I was planning to take on my next cruise?  😉

Are the ballcap being worn with the bill forward or backward?  I've observed that wearing the ballcap backwards lowers the wearer's IQ by around fifty percent.

When coupled with wife beater tops it showcases the “class” of some Princess cruisers.

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When coupled with wife beater tops it showcases the “class” of some Princess cruisers.

Well, the old saying "Clothes make the man" sure applies to what one sees nowadays.  

I recently attended a funeral where one guy showed up in shower shoes with black socks, black sweat pants, a black wife beater, and a black do-rag.  I guess all black made it formal wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

That is exactly what I said. As long as passengers follow that simple set of requirements, they will be fine on all nights no matter which ship, which itinerary, or who is staffing the dining room.

I love that @Bgwest correctly predicted the onslaught of shaming.  

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you consider that a dress code,

Well, it is a set of written rules about dressing

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Todays dress requirements are left up to the passenger to decide on both casual & formal nights. 

I'm confused, which is it?

Seriously folks, show of hands, has anyone been denied access to the MDR while wearing shorts (for clarity sake: gray or khaki shorts with a polo and close-toed shoes)?  In the last six months? 

31 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

I love that @Bgwest correctly predicted the onslaught of shaming.  

Well, it is a set of written rules about dressing

I'm confused, which is it?

Seriously folks, show of hands, has anyone been denied access to the MDR while wearing shorts (for clarity sake: gray or khaki shorts with a polo and close-toed shoes)?  In the last six months? 

I don't consider what Princess does today as a dress code but more of a suggestion.

Yes, they do mention on their web site what to expect on casual and formal evenings, but it's presented only to give people some idea of what to wear. 

If you like to dress up, then do so, but either way nothing will be said if you don't. 

Decent shorts are also being accepted on casual evenings on the ships we've traveled on in the past two years. My husband wore his cargo shorts one evening with a polo shirt and it was acceptable although it was only one time since the DR was cold & he preferred his jeans with a T shirt. 

• Thanks 1