Looking for advice on best boat (Royal v Grand) and Alaskan itinerary to book with kids

Aurianna

Our party is as such:

• FiL, 72m (previously been on one northbound Alaskan cruise)
  • MiL, 71f (previously been on one northbound Alaskan cruise)
  • BiL, 47m
  • SiL, 41f
  • me, 41f
  • hubs, 41m
  • nephew, 11m
  • nephew, 11m
  • daughter, 8f

No one but hubby's parents have been on an Alaskan cruise before. My husband spent a few days in Alaska on business but didn't do much sight seeing. Everyone has Caribbean Cruise experience on Royal Caribbean and/or Disney but the boys were babies at the time.

The plan is an 7-day Alaskan cruise in late July and/or early August 2024 (plus a 2-3 day cruisetour add-on).

I think because my in-laws did a Northbound already, they want to do a southbound this time. They're open to other lines besides Princess but seem set on a one-way which limits the options. They'll likely take my advice on the route to pick and I don't want to mess this up for anyone.

For southbound on Princess our options seem to be:

• Royal Princess Whittier to Vancouver with stops in Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan.
  • Grand Princess Whittier to Vancouver with stops in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan.

These are the parameters...

• Husband's parents are very into the scenery and are set on the fact that Princess cruises go more into the glaciers than other lines.
  • Hubby wants to fish and ride a kayak and/or canoe.
  • I have MS and it's a wildcard on what I'll be able to do; I may be on the boat more than the rest. I'd like to see animals. But honestly my favorite parts of cruises are food, trivia, and shows.
  • The boys want to see sled dogs, bears and gold.
  • My daughter has ADHD and can't sit still but she loves animals and would probably enjoy a gold activity as well.

So my questions:

• I've heard the Royal is generally a better ship for kids. Is this true, and if so, are there several notable examples of the differences?
  • Can the Royal get as close to the glaciers as the Grand can?
  • Icy Strait Point or Skagway??
    • It seems like Skagway has way more of the stuff the kids want... is it worth sacrificing the kid friendliness of the Royal?
      • And for that matter, is there anything left for me to do on this boat without Princess Live?

So... can either itinerary give everyone what they want? (other options are taking Royal northbound or taking RCL Radiance southbound)

53 minutes ago, Aurianna said:

I've heard the Royal is generally a better ship for kids. Is this true, and if so, are there several notable examples of the differences?

All Princess ships have Camp Discovery, their children's/youth program. You can search online for some examples of the programs they hand out. There's nothing that genuinely sets Royal and Grand apart in these facilities besides the fact that the Royal will be more modern and has lots more space to spread out in the children's area. You'll notice these differences in each of their deck plans. The Royal is also a larger ship so it might feel more exciting to run around for the kids. But one thing that the Grand has that the Royal does not have is a covered pool area separate from the open pool area. This covered area's roof is permanent, so it means the pool is accessible no matter what the weather is. There's other little bonuses with this space as well, such as the table tennis setup always being protected from the elements. In contrast, everything on the top decks on the Royal is basically exposed.

Royal does have more of the classic, big-ship feel you're probably more used to with Royal and Disney. For example, the theater has shows that are more modern than what you would find on the Grand (but still not comparable to RC or D). I do think Grand is a lot more about kicking back and relaxing in more intimate settings while Royal is more spread out in general.

59 minutes ago, Aurianna said:

Can the Royal get as close to the glaciers as the Grand can?

This is not really a ship-specific question, but rather a weather question/iceberg question/miscellaneous unpredictables question. You could argue that since Grand is smaller, it could maybe maneuver itself a bit better through a tighter corner, but a captain will never make gambles they know they can't win either. Here's the real differentiator between the two: Grand is a much better ship for access to areas that allow you to get up close and intimate with the action --> wide open promenade, area on top of the bridge, area right at the edge of the bow, area right at the edge of the stern. The Royal has barely any of those things. 

I think the glaciers thing might be tripping you up just a tad -- Princess has access to Glacier Bay National Park and I think that's what your in-laws are getting at when it comes to glacier access; Royal Caribbean and Disney do not, but Holland America and Norwegian are the two other mass market lines that do have permit access. I personally think Glacier Bay is a must-see if you're going to make the effort to see Alaska -- just my two cents -- but nothing is ever guaranteed on glacier/fjord days.

1 hour ago, Aurianna said:

Icy Strait Point or Skagway??

Skagway is more interesting due to the White Pass Railway (takes you into the Yukon) and also a ferry that you can take to Haines. Icy Strait Point itself is more contrived, though I have seen reports that the port is great for whale watching.

2 hours ago, Aurianna said:

It seems like Skagway has way more of the stuff the kids want... is it worth sacrificing the kid friendliness of the Royal?

I think kids enjoying themselves should be the biggest priority, and so if Skagway presents more opportunities to explore, then I'd go with it. If you don't mind me recommending something that might be of help in assisting you with making the decision, the YouTubers LeggLife came out with two great series about what it was like to cruise on both the Royal and the Grand in Alaska. (Playlist for Royal) / (First video of Grand series, as there's no playlist link)

2 hours ago, Aurianna said:

is there anything left for me to do on this boat without Princess Live?

Princess Live is only on the Royal-class. Grand has what is called Explorers Lounge, which is a much nicer space to sit in and relax. The Royal does have the Crooners piano bar, which is a great daytime spot or an evening spot for a nightcap (the Grand also has Crooners). The Piazza (atrium) on the Royal is considerably larger and there is plenty of space to dance at the bottom deck or just chill and listen to the music. The Vista Lounge is another space used for activities (the Grand also has the Vista Lounge). You can also try and reserve a spot on the Sanctuary (have to rush to book your seats once you embark!) -- you'll have the best views where it is, but it will likely be chilly.

I feel like I may not have really sold you on the Princess experience lol, and might have just gone on tangents, so I do apologize. But if you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask. Princess, to me, is a cruise line that is better than the sum of its parts, so it can feel really meh if you deconstruct it, but it's nice if you just embrace it all.

Icy Strait Point is probably tops for whale watching, but Skagway does have multiple sled dog runs that you said the kids would be interested in.  The Grand has the covered pool area that would also appeal to the kids.  I would recommend that you do the land portion of your trip first and then pick up the ship in Whittier and enjoy your 7 days.

We just did Alaska for 14 days on the Majestic doing North and South bounds out of Vancouver.  We liked it so much we're going back in 2025 to do 7 days on the Discovery out of Seattle, disembark for a day to see my daughter and then hop on the NCL Joy for another 9 days.

Below is the website to where my DH went sledding with the dogs.  Ran 146 and lasted 3.25 hours

https://alaskashoreexcursions.com/skagway/mushers-camp-adventure

If you decide to do the sledding in Juneau,  here is the link to the dog sledding.  Same cost 2.25 hours

https://alaskashoreexcursions.com/juneau/mushers-camp-tour

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

I feel like I may not have really sold you on the Princess experience lol, and might have just gone on tangents, so I do apologize. But if you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask. Princess, to me, is a cruise line that is better than the sum of its parts, so it can feel really meh if you deconstruct it, but it's nice if you just embrace it all.

no this was exceedingly helpful, thank you!!

I’m far less worried about the kids now on the Grand. I’ll suggest the southbound on the Grand to my in-laws with the caveat that we might see more whales on the Royal. 

I’m probably the only one in the party that a bigger, more exciting things-to-do boat matters for. I’ll just be sure to come stocked with audio/ebooks just in case my body isn’t feelin’ it during the trip. The tip that you can see more things better from the Grand deck is a very good one in case I can’t do much ashore. 

My husband, daughter and I are doing a Disney Caribbean cruise in January with some friends. I do worry that my daughter will be disappointed in comparison but the differences in the Grand/Royal may not make much difference in the grand scheme. I’ll work on her expectations that that it’s a very different kind of trip. 

A lot of great advice already, but I do want to add a vote for the Grand. It sounds like many in your party are excited about the scenery and the Grand will cruise through the lower part of the inside passage on your last day (between the mainland and Vancouver Island). This is beautiful scenery and we always see whales on this last day too. The Royal Princess is too large to take this route and will take the route to the west of Vancouver Island, meaning you will see mostly just open sea on the last day. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

A lot of great advice already, but I do want to add a vote for the Grand. It sounds like many in your party are excited about the scenery and the Grand will cruise through the lower part of the inside passage on your last day (between the mainland and Vancouver Island). This is beautiful scenery and we always see whales on this last day too. The Royal Princess is too large to take this route and will take the route to the west of Vancouver Island, meaning you will see mostly just open sea on the last day. 

All right. That probably clinches it.

I definitely prefer the Royal's on-ship activities... but sounds like the Grand is better for the party as a whole and I think I'll have more beautiful things to look at and more spots to look at them on, on the Grand so should be good.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aurianna said:

All right. That probably clinches it.

I definitely prefer the Royal's on-ship activities... but sounds like the Grand is better for the party as a whole and I think I'll have more beautiful things to look at and more spots to look at them on, on the Grand so should be good.

Thanks everyone!

Grand is a really nice ship.  Yes, a bit older, but certainly lots of life left in her.  Wishing you and your family a fabulous cruise!

The Sapphire is closer to the Grand than she is to the Royal.

She has a much larger (more impressive) Promenade Deck.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Sapphire or the Grand (one of my favorites).

You have been given some terrific advice.  I would take Skagway over Ice Straits.  Inside Passage over sea time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aurianna said:

My husband, daughter and I are doing a Disney Caribbean cruise in January with some friends. I do worry that my daughter will be disappointed in comparison but the differences in the Grand/Royal may not make much difference in the grand scheme. I’ll work on her expectations that that it’s a very different kind of trip. 

I neglected to mention that in general, I strongly believe Alaska cruising is just as good for the kiddos as the Caribbean can be. If they ever feel bored at any point, I think just walking out there on the promenade and handing them a pair of binoculars to spot something--anything, really--can really teach so much. I really think you all will have an amazing time and hope you do as well!

3 hours ago, Aurianna said:

How does the Sapphire stack up to the Grand?

They're much, much closer to each other than they are different. I agree that you can't go wrong with either. Sapphire is about 6 years younger than Grand, so maybe that might mean something to you, but overall they look almost the same from a design and furnishings standpoint. Just check out their deck plans for some of the layout differences.

You’re going in the right direction by picking Princess for Alaska. Regardless of your usual favorite line, Princess just does Alaska better because it owns its own lodges, has the longest history doing cruises here (tied with Holland America), and it goes to Glacier Bay.

Though I believe you and your family will have fun on either, I vote Royal because of your interests and because of your kids. There’s just more to do onboard. The Grand will have most of the same array of daily activities like trivia, game shows, bingo, musical entertainment, comedian, shows, but the Royal has more of and bigger everything. The shows are more modern and technologically advanced. The kids club is bigger and is sponsored by Discovery Channel; frankly, I wish I could go because it looks so fun! 

Yes, the Grand does Skagway, and I love Skagway, but Icy Strait Point has the awesome zipline. Both ships can get close to the glaciers; I didn’t notice a distance difference between the 2 when I’ve done Alaska cruises on both. The distance really comes down to the weather at the time and the number of icebergs in the area. 

In terms of food, the ships should have the same quality, but the Royal has much greater variety. The buffet is way bigger, and there are more options around the ship.

I really do believe you and your family will have fun on either ship, though. Happy planning! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Though I believe you and your family will have fun on either, I vote Royal because of your interests and because of your kids. There’s just more to do onboard. The Grand will have most of the same array of daily activities like trivia, game shows, bingo, musical entertainment, comedian, shows, but the Royal has more of and bigger everything. The shows are more modern and technologically advanced. The kids club is bigger and is sponsored by Discovery Channel; frankly, I wish I could go because it looks so fun! 

Yes, the Grand does Skagway, and I love Skagway, but Icy Strait Point has the awesome zipline. Both ships can get close to the glaciers; I didn’t notice a distance difference between the 2 when I’ve done Alaska cruises on both. The distance really comes down to the weather at the time and the number of icebergs in the area.

Heh... and I'm torn again. Partly because of this, partly because I just checked out the price differentials. Holy buckets. Pretty sure our family could buy its own sled dog for that price difference for 9 of us.

4 hours ago, Aurianna said:

Ok now I'm scared to ask.... it looks like the Sapphire's timing works better than the Grand's for us.

How does the Sapphire stack up to the Grand?

Sapphire Princess is our favourite! A little new than the Grand too.

22 minutes ago, Aurianna said:

Heh... and I'm torn again. Partly because of this, partly because I just checked out the price differentials. Holy buckets. Pretty sure our family could buy its own sled dog for that price difference for 9 of us.

You've got to wonder "why" the Royal is priced less than the Grand.  

Just for starters...how about 1000 more passengers?  And fewer public venues.

No Promenade Deck?  No aft viewing.

Itinerary/passage

Bottom line:  You are doing this cruise to be with family.  If the cost will allow you a few more excursions, then you WILL have a great time on the Royal.

When you mentioned the itinerary in your first post, you listed the ports but not the glaciers. All glaciers are not created equal. Several people have mentioned Glacier Bay National Park as the best glaciers to see. In addition to the glaciers themselves, Glacier Bay has National Park rangers who come onboard and give narration. They usually have a ranger working directly with the kids. Check which glaciers each of your possible cruises visit, because that does make a difference - with Glacier Bay generally considered the best choice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aurianna said:

I extra vote for the Royal then! The excursions are priceless memories, so to me, this would be a win win.