Live from the Ruby Princess August 15-25

Cruise Raider

On 8/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, Petersonfcu said:

Another question in advance of our boarding the Ruby this coming Friday.

My medallion app says I can buy internet coverage for $150 for the ten day cruise.   Being a platinum cruiser, I am supposed to get the internet for 50% off.  Is the normal price for the internet on the Ruby Alaska cruise $300 or $150?  If its $150, I guess I will wait until I am onboard to buy so I can actually get my 50% discount.

We were platinum on our cruise last month (it was our 15th cruise, so now elite).  I purchased the internet for one at cost of $105 prior to boarding - once on board I went to guest services to make sure that the correct credit card was being used and asked about my discount and was told that the $52.50 credit was already on my account.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Always a sad day when we have to pack up and leave … 😞 

What a wonderful sailing we’ve had!  

As for @EvilGrandpa’s question, the $14.99 for the price fix menu is per person at the casual restaurants.  They also have a la carte menu options available, though. 

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.  

Yes, I believe the HGM that I saw was Shane.  Young guy

Have fun on your next one out of Seattle.  I'm guessing it will be back on the Royal?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfpd3000 said:

Have fun on your next one out of Seattle.  I'm guessing it will be back on the Royal?

HGM is Shane Mansfield.

5 hours ago, sfpd3000 said:

We really enjoyed this cruise.  The wine options were my only really big complaint.  But, I spoke with the bar manager and we found some decent substitutions.  
Yes, we will be going on the Royal next month and moving over onto the Majestic.  
And Shane does look very young!  
BTW, I was asking if you were there today once we disembarked but nobody knew who you were.  I thought it was a long shot, anyway.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, jwattle said:

I should have an answer coming up...at some point. I asked today on the travel advisor webinar about suites and the $5 room service fee. It is being researched.

$5 fee for suites for room service...according to the BDM. (Business Development Manager)

I will let you know if that gets changed/reversed.

• Thanks 1

Disembarkation was an absolute breeze!  They use facial recognition so if you pass, no need to show your passport when leaving.  We were off in less than 5 minutes from our room to the curb to order an Uber.  Uber rides from the pier have gone up a bit since we’ve been there last.  They used to be around $80 plus tip for an X for a 35 mile ride.  It was $110 plus tip this morning.  I know the price fluctuates based on busy times, so that may have been the reason for the increase.  But, you’ve got to get home so, what are ya gonna do?  

Anyway, it really was a fabulous sailing with a couple of medical disembarkations in the beginning, causing us to miss Juneau.  That happens and didn’t have a negative impact on our experience .. we were just so thankful they were able to get the passengers for lifesaving care.  

The Captain’s party was pretty good!  They’ve started serving the hors d’oeuvres off the trays again during the party.  We had just come from dinner so can’t comment if they were good or not.
The escargots on formal night was superb, the lobster was just ok.  The service was excellent!  We only went to the dining room for dinner that one time but went twice for lunch and the food was fabulous both times.  I love the smaller portions for the entree.  The salads were always a very good size and always seemed fresh.  

I think I’ve mentioned this previously, but in case I didn’t, the room service menu is missing some items that used to be listed.  I really did miss those items, especially the chicken tacos.  They were the best!  
The snacks up in the PES lounge were really good and included one hot dish every evening it was held (quiche, sliders, samosas, spring rolls, peel and eat shrimp, etc).  The last night they served sushi and they always had a bowls of cheeses, nuts, olives, etc as well as crudities and a vegetable or bean salad available.  It really was enough for dinner, which is why we didn’t get to the dining room more often.  

The staff all over the ship could not have been better!  Everything seemed pretty clean all over the ship and they’ve replaced the outdoor furniture for the outdoor dining areas on the lido deck.  It really looks sharp!  

They had three production shows and quite a bit of Alaska themed entertainment and activities.  The CD and activities staff were all great!  They really worked so well with one another.  
Of note, the naturalist was going to give a talk after we left glacier bay but we never could find it, on the Patter or on JourneyView.  Perhaps she wasn’t feeling well as she seemed to be back yesterday.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 2:05 AM, Belle said:

When I said green lane, I meant the Elite lane. If you don't have the Medallion with you have to go to the blue lane…

Just off the Regal Princess in Southampton. At check in, there was neither a ‘blue’ line nor a ‘green’ line just a line for ‘Platinum, Elite and Suites’ and one for ‘All Other’. Medallions were handed out at the checkin desk. Fast and efficient. Easy peasy. 
Cheers…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Just off the Regal Princess in Southampton. At check in, there was neither a ‘blue’ line nor a ‘green’ line just a line for ‘Platinum, Elite and Suites’ and one for ‘All Other’. Medallions were handed out at the checkin desk. Fast and efficient. Easy peasy. 
Cheers…

PCL should take a lesson from Southampton!  
Keep it as before, none of these colored lanes! 

On 9/16/2023 at 7:27 AM, partybarbie said:

So glad I found your Live From. Thanks for the fantastic review. Can’t wait to board the Ruby next month. Our friend, Paul, will be the Piano Man in Crooner’s. He is really good.

While we ended up canceling the Panama Canal cruise on the Ruby for this October, I have no doubt you will have a great time on her.  She is a great ship with a fabulous staff.  Our neighbors are still going.  I just had a lot unexpected expenses arise.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1