Vaccinations/certificates-Vista Inaugural Panama Canal?

Muckyduckway

Hoping for some clarity regarding the requirements for vaccinations or certificates for Vista's Miami to LA transit in October this year. My TA and Oceania's reps have not been helpful. 

Gov sites recommend Tetanus and Hepatitis A, but I've seen in several places that a Yellow Fever Cert is needed by subsequent countries if visiting Cartagena first!

My own reading of the Yellow Fever requirements is that this only applies if the visit to Colombia was more than a day visit?

Anyone have a definitive answer from their travel advisors/Oceania or transmitted the canal east to west previously and therefore have direct knowledge?

3 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Hoping for some clarity regarding the requirements for vaccinations or certificates for Vista's Miami to LA transit in October this year. My TA and Oceania's reps have not been helpful. 

Gov sites recommend Tetanus and Hepatitis A, but I've seen in several places that a Yellow Fever Cert is needed by subsequent countries if visiting Cartagena first!

My own reading of the Yellow Fever requirements is that this only applies if the visit to Colombia was more than a day visit?

Anyone have a definitive answer from their travel advisors/Oceania or transmitted the canal east to west previously and therefore have direct knowledge?

The last places I would look to would be a TA and O. Consult with the public health authorities of each country, state (or equivalent), city and port authority of each port on your itinerary. The only time the cruise line’s air airline’s require

emt would matter is when their requirement(s) are more strict than all of the others.

If you don’t believe me, ask all those folks on our multisegment itinerary that departed from SYD earlier this year. Many folks misunderstood O’s email that O wouldn’t require pre-tests to apply to all other “authorities.” But NSW (while it didn’t require pre-testing for arrival at SYD, did require it for departing cruise passengers) Quite a number of folks ended up paying $90 pp for a pierside test which, fortunately (for us) turned up positive and prevented their embarkation.

This is NOT the place to get correct info. Do your homework.

• Like 1

Thanks folks, good to have info from those with direct experience.

It's quite simple, if a tad tedious, to get official gov. info on requirements; the difficulty always seems to be determining whether that info applies to cruise ship passengers, as sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't!

Not long now! @basor :classic_biggrin:

Whether some reg. applies to cruise passengers or not is tricky and there is no one rule.  It is country by country.  Mostly I check the site of the government concerned.  Or my own government (Swiss) who are quite good about letting us know what applies and what doesn't.  If you are from the US you might try the State Dept site ??

• Like 1

When we go somewhere with "interesting" diseases, we go to our medical system's travel medicine doctors/nurses. They not only recommend immunizations or meds based on medical knowledge, they also know the various requirements...takes all the guesswork out. Your regular doctor should be able to give you the contact info if travel medicine clinics exist in your area.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

…..It is country by country….. 

……If you are from the US you might try the State Dept site ??

And therein lies the major problem: It is not JUST “country by country.” The “info accuracy” challenge is often multi-faceted with varying requirements among country, state (or equivalent), city, port authority, air/sea carrier….

And the U.S. State Dept. (et al. general non-public health entities) doesn’t always have the latest info nor does it have other than the “country only” requirements.)

On 8/16/2023 at 4:53 PM, Muckyduckway said:

You don't need a Yellow fever certificate visiting Cartagena. Been there and it was not required. Also Cartegena won't be a risk, think of like San Juan. But of course you can get the vaccine it makes you feel safer. If I traveled a lot to places with Yellow Fever a lot like jungles I probably would but I don't so I did not get that one.. Once I was thinking of getting it and none had it in stock. Tetanus I am always up to date on, my physician has it and always update me with a jab when due. and I got the Hep A shot because many trips to places in the Caribbean and Mexico where they don't treat sewage.

• Like 1