Super organised - all speciality dining and shows booked for Iona at the stroke of midnight!

bronzevernis

Just a thanks for the heads here to get in asap and advance book speciality dining and entertainment. We sail on Iona on 2nd Sept so bookings opened at the stroke of midnight tonight (well, this morning really). I drew up a dining timetable earlier this evening of where we wanted to eat and on what day. I then went in with military precision dead on midnight and had everything booked within 15 minutes!

Dining:

Epicurean x 2

Chef's Table

Afternoon Tea in Epicurean 

Sindhu x 2

Beach House

Norway Taster Menu

£227 later!

Hoping we can use our OBC to pay for the balance at Sindhu and The Beach House. And also hoping to book Keel & Cow, Glass House and Olive Grove for lunches when we get onboard. It's going to be a foodie cruise for us! 

Entertainment booked:

The Take That musical thingy

Sky's the Limit

Ben Moss 2

Festival in the Headliners Theatre

I did 11 separate transactions to avoid loading the cart up, getting to checkout and finding that some of the bookings had already sold out. 

Feeling pretty pleased all the bookings are sorted now. We can now relax and not worry about the speciality dining already being sold out on embarkation day. 

Edited by bronzevernis
Grammar
  • Like 10

• bronzevernis changed the title to Super organised - all speciality dining and shows booked for Iona at the stroke of midnight!
5 hours ago, bronzevernis said:

Just a thanks for the heads here to get in asap and advance book speciality dining and entertainment. We sail on Iona on 2nd Sept so bookings opened at the stroke of midnight tonight (well, this morning really). I drew up a dining timetable earlier this evening of where we wanted to eat and on what day. I then went in with military precision dead on midnight and had everything booked within 15 minutes!

Dining:

Epicurean x 2

Chef's Table

Afternoon Tea in Epicurean 

Sindhu x 2

Beach House

Norway Taster Menu

£227 later!

Hoping we can use our OBC to pay for the balance at Sindhu and The Beach House. And also hoping to book Keel & Cow, Glass House and Olive Grove for lunches when we get onboard. It's going to be a foodie cruise for us! 

Entertainment booked:

The Take That musical thingy

Sky's the Limit

Ben Moss 2

Festival in the Headliners Theatre

I did 11 separate transactions to avoid loading the cart up, getting to checkout and finding that some of the bookings had already sold out. 

Feeling pretty pleased all the bookings are sorted now. We can now relax and not worry about the speciality dining already being sold out on embarkation day. 

Well done! If it’s anything like our Iona cruise (which we go on later today) you will be very glad that you have done this. I did exactly the same as you with our dining bookings 2 weeks ago and within hours the peak dining times had all gone for many of the restaurants (leaving only very early or very late slots) and the Norwegian Tasting menu had completely sold out. By the end of the day, some of the days that we had booked were sold out, certainly for our party size.

The Afternoon Tea at Epicurean wasn’t listed when I booked (and I didn’t even think about it) but I happened to glance at our Cruise Personaliser last night and noticed that it had appeared, so I managed to book a table of 6 for that as well, as we all enjoyed it when we did it before on Britannia (and indeed with friends on Ventura). 

With our cruise, the shows didn’t open for booking until 12 days before. The Skys the Limit show isn’t listed for our cruise and when I looked at the Cruise Personaliser last night the Take That Musical which I had booked has disappeared and been replaced with a male singing group on the same night (also in the theatre), yet our bookings for The Greatest Day still show in our daily itinerary? I think that the person currently on Iona mentioned that the show stopped half way through due to technical problems, so I’m wondering if that’s still not fixed? However, when we went on Britannia recently some of the shows were on different days to those we had booked and others appeared, so it may be a bit of a mystery tour in that respect 😂 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Well done! If it’s anything like our Iona cruise (which we go on later today) you will be very glad that you have done this. I did exactly the same as you with our dining bookings 2 weeks ago and within hours the peak dining times had all gone for many of the restaurants (leaving only very early or very late slots) and the Norwegian Tasting menu had completely sold out. By the end of the day, some of the days that we had booked were sold out, certainly for our party size.

The Afternoon Tea at Epicurean wasn’t listed when I booked (and I didn’t even think about it) but I happened to glance at our Cruise Personaliser last night and noticed that it had appeared, so I managed to book a table of 6 for that as well, as we all enjoyed it when we did it before on Britannia (and indeed with friends on Ventura). 

With our cruise, the shows didn’t open for booking until 12 days before. The Skys the Limit show isn’t listed for our cruise and when I looked at the Cruise Personaliser last night the Take That Musical which I had booked has disappeared and been replaced with a male singing group on the same night (also in the theatre), yet our bookings for The Greatest Day still show in our daily itinerary? I think that the person currently on Iona mentioned that the show stopped half way through due to technical problems, so I’m wondering if that’s still not fixed? However, when we went on Britannia recently some of the shows were on different days to those we had booked and others appeared, so it may be a bit of a mystery tour in that respect 😂 

Have a fabulous cruise! it was the best advice on this board to get in and book as soon as its available.

Do report back about Afternoon Tea - you were lucky to be able to book it so close to embarkation day especially for 6. I've read some mixed reviews about it although I don't know if its always been done in Epicurean in the past?

I wavered over the Limelight Club but decided against booking it in the end. Not heard of the music act, and it's not really our sort of thing. 

Yes, rather pleased we have all our dining bookings sorted so we can relax and avoid the online rugby scrum to get a booking once on board. We're not so fussed about entertainment, but booked it anyway. If we decide not to go, we'll cancel them and not be one of those people that hogs a booking and does a no-show!  

We will try and book the 7/10 club on board though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

Have a fabulous cruise! it was the best advice on this board to get in and book as soon as its available.

Do report back about Afternoon Tea - you were lucky to be able to book it so close to embarkation day especially for 6. I've read some mixed reviews about it although I don't know if its always been done in Epicurean in the past?

I wavered over the Limelight Club but decided against booking it in the end. Not heard of the music act, and it's not really our sort of thing. 

Yes, rather pleased we have all our dining bookings sorted so we can relax and avoid the online rugby scrum to get a booking once on board. We're not so fussed about entertainment, but booked it anyway. If we decide not to go, we'll cancel them and not be one of those people that hogs a booking and does a no-show!  

We will try and book the 7/10 club on board though.

You will find that 90% of the posters on this board don’t like the afternoon tea (too sweet etc), but we enjoyed the experience previously, especially as we find sea days to be quite boring. It’s always been in Epicurean. 

On Britannia we hadn’t heard of the artist, but we really enjoyed the evening as it was different and the food was great. On Iona we have Matt Cardle, which is a shame as our daughters wanted to see Gareth Gates who gets off today! We are still going though as it’s a good experience. 

Like you, we can take or leave most of the entertainment and will doubtless cancel a few if we decide not to go, as we did on Britannia. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Well done! If it’s anything like our Iona cruise (which we go on later today) you will be very glad that you have done this. I did exactly the same as you with our dining bookings 2 weeks ago and within hours the peak dining times had all gone for many of the restaurants (leaving only very early or very late slots) and the Norwegian Tasting menu had completely sold out.

I've just checked and there are only 4 slots left for the Norway Taster Menu - one early and 3 late slots. So I expect that will be sold out by the end of the day

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

You will find that 90% of the posters on this board don’t like the afternoon tea (too sweet etc), but we enjoyed the experience previously, especially as we find sea days to be quite boring. It’s always been in Epicurean. 

I did think about booking Afternoon tea for both sea days but I think we'll probably be a bit caked-out by the Friday, so just booked it for the first sea day on the Sunday. Afternoon tea is a lovely experience. And honestly, there's no such thing as a bad cake lol

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

On Britannia we hadn’t heard of the artist, but we really enjoyed the evening as it was different and the food was great. On Iona we have Matt Cardle, which is a shame as our daughters wanted to see Gareth Gates who gets off today! We are still going though as it’s a good experience. 

It's Matt Terry in the Limelight Club on our cruise. Never heard of him. Ex-X Factor. I'm happy to pass on this. 

Well done.. sad that this is necessary as it doesn’t sound like a P&O cruise is a holiday where you can make spontaneous decisions on the day. Not really my idea of a holiday. My day job involves timetabling. 

P&O not making it fair for the passengers who have not read on this forum or other social media that you need to stay up to midnight 14 days before you depart to book the extras. 

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, kermchem said:

Well done.. sad that this is necessary as it doesn’t sound like a P&O cruise is a holiday where you can make spontaneous decisions on the day. Not really my idea of a holiday. My day job involves timetabling. 

P&O not making it fair for the passengers who have not read on this forum or other social media that you need to stay up to midnight 14 days before you depart to book the extras. 

To be honest, we're actually looking forward to a holiday where everything is planned out in advance. We're both pretty knackered from work for the last 6 months and feeling quite run down.  This is the first ever holiday,(and cruise)  where we just have to show up and everything is done for us and I am here for it. We usually freestyle our holidays, independently booking flights and accommodation, and deciding what to do and where to eat as we go. Or they have been holidays with a purpose - for instance we were out in Canada in March helping our daughter with the practicalities of settling in to her new life there. 

P&O do state on their website that speciality dining and entertainment is bookable 14 days before departure. Nothing is sold out yet this morning, although that will probably change over the course of the next few days. P&O could however emphasise that if you don't advance book you may not be able to so once on board due to lack of availability.

Edited by bronzevernis
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, kermchem said:

I actually agree with you. We always liked the spontaneity of cruises, but if you don’t want to end up disappointed you need a military style plan. I am grateful to others who alerted me to this, but I agree wholeheartedly that it’s a great shame for those who are unaware. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

I did think about booking Afternoon tea for both sea days but I think we'll probably be a bit caked-out by the Friday, so just booked it for the first sea day on the Sunday. Afternoon tea is a lovely experience. And honestly, there's no such thing as a bad cake lol

Once is enough. Skip lunch and have a late dinner 😂 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

It's Matt Terry in the Limelight Club on our cruise. Never heard of him. Ex-X Factor. I'm happy to pass on this. 

I’ve not heard of him either. P&O seem to have a block booking for all X-Factor has-been’s 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, kermchem said:

I agree, it is sad that this is necessary. There seems to have been a massive shift in the demand for speciality. It used to be an added extra, maybe a once or twice event during a cruise or for a special occasion. I cannot recall passengers in the past booking for every night.  

Many cruisers of old and those who are not on social media won't be aware of this. You do feel for them because once they get onboard they are finding everything is booked up. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I agree, it is sad that this is necessary. There seems to have been a massive shift in the demand for speciality. It used to be an added extra, maybe a once or twice event during a cruise or for a special occasion. I cannot recall passengers in the past booking for every night.  

Many cruisers of old and those who are not on social media won't be aware of this. You do feel for them because once they get onboard they are finding everything is booked up. 

I think it’s being driven by the widely reported issues of long waits for freedom dining on the big ships. There will still be some availability on board, but mostly for those who like to dine early (which seems to be most on these boards) or very late. Peak times will be more of a challenge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve not heard of him either. P&O seem to have a block booking for all X-Factor has-been’s 😂 

The talent pool for cruise ships must surely extend beyond reality tv show contestants and Gary Barlow? P&O could be innovative, support our creative arts industry of the future and offer summer internships to talented performing arts school students or recent PA graduates. I do think P&O are a bit lazy when it comes to live music performance offerings. 

Edited by bronzevernis
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

The talent pool for cruise ships must surely extend beyond reality tv show contestants and Gary Barlow? P&O could be innovative, support our creative arts industry of the future and offer summer internships to talented performing arts school students or recent PA graduates. I do think P&O are a bit lazy when it comes to live music performance offerings. 

I think a lot of the performers in the headliners, Pulse etc are PA graduates. 

The limelight seems to be driven by the Paul Ludlow statement that the target audience were the Saturday night TV watchers. 

We will have Mr Blobby next😂

Andy

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

28 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

It was the speciality dining venues that was one of the main reasons we booked a cruise. The additional charge is not considerable (although it does all tot up to a more considerable amount) given the types of dining on offer - eg Epicurean. We'll use the MDR and The Quays for breakfast and the occasional lunch but speciality dining is what we want to experience on the cruise. I also just don't fancy the hassle of virtual or physical queues with pagers and negotiating that all on an "app". We may give the buffet a go but I am very nervous about other people's lack of basic food hygiene and etiquette generally when it comes to buffets. All sorts of stories about this on this website as well as on social media. I just don't want to pick up a 'lergy on holiday because another cruiser can't be bothered to wash their hands before handling food.

Of course this is the way cruise lines seem to be going. It's all part of the upselling and making as much money as possible from their customers whilst on board. However, we plan not to spend beyond using our  £240 worth of OBC once onboard. We have prepaid the refresh drinks package as it has value to us, the  wifi package as we need to be available 24/7 for family to contact us, and a couple of shore excursions (one with P&O, the other independently). I don't intend to do any shopping on board or book thermal spa  sessions or spa treatments. The aim is to disembark with a nil account balance. P&O have made enough money out of us already!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Last thing I want on holiday is being organized or ruled by a timetable. Had all that when working.

Whatever happened to spontaneity?!  Will stick to Aurora and Arcadia and do whatever I fancy at the time.  

I agree with what you say and I also love Aurora, but I am trying Iona next year for 7 days and will pre-book what I can in advance - and you never know, I may well be pleasantly surprised!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I hope you have a fantastic cruise on Iona @Selbourne.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I agree with what you say and I also love Aurora, but I am trying Iona next year for 7 days and will pre-book what I can in advance - and you never know, I may well be pleasantly surprised!

I hope you are. I am a solo traveller and disliked her. Find smaller ships more sociable and always meet people I know.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PurpleMoonlight said:

It's a shame that people find this even necessary.

I agree. Having worked in job where my working time was dominated by scheduled meetings, committees etc I like my holidays to be free flowing, relaxing and spontaneous. I would hate to have to micromanage my holiday and decide what I would be doing at specific times on specific days weeks in advance. Sadly this now appears to be the norm on major cruise lines like P&O, which is one reason why I no longer sail with them.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I think it’s being driven by the widely reported issues of long waits for freedom dining on the big ships. There will still be some availability on board, but mostly for those who like to dine early (which seems to be most on these boards) or very late. Peak times will be more of a challenge.

My thoughts exactly @Selbourne.

On Britannia in June we split our 7 nights between Epicurean and Sindhu and never went to the MDR because of the app booking fiasco.

For 14 night's I would have to rethink our strategy.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Last thing I want on holiday is being organized or ruled by a timetable. Had all that when working.

Whatever happened to spontaneity?!  Will stick to Aurora and Arcadia and do whatever I fancy at the time.  

Freedom dining on Princess and P&O and My Time Dining on Royal Caribbean was a brilliant idea at the beginning where you just turned up when you wanted and got seated quickly but it just got too popular and now it just doesn't work as you have long waits in a queue or with a pager.

• Like 1