calls over wifi

orangeglitter

I am almost ready to book my first Princess cruise. I have a question. I often need to use my phone for work while on the ship. When I am on Holland America I can make calls over wifi. However, when on Carnival calls are blocked. Anyone know if I can make calls over wifi on Princess? 

thanks.

Not sure where you are from but I’ve regularly made Skype calls whilst on Sky Princess in the fjords, expected to have a problem but never did and the callls never dropped out

Edited by Stokie33
Spelling

I have made calls over WiFi with AT&T on an iPhone. You do have to go to settings on the iPhone to set up WiFi calling. I can't speak to any phone other than iPhone or to any carrier other than AT&T.

If you haven't set up WiFi calling yet, I recommend you set it up and test it at home to resolve any problems before getting on the ship.

21 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Isn't FaceTime done by wifi?  Or cell service if you are using your cell plan.

Think so - it's just another option to stay in touch.   It always works better than if we just do a regular phone call plus we like to see family we are talking with.  

4 hours ago, irishgirl said:

My phone is always on Wi-Fi calling.  I used Wi-Fi calling on my last Princess cruise and it worked great.

So if I purchase WiFi, I’m good to make calls? ( I’m old, not up to par on this stuff..lol) 

4 minutes ago, camper49 said:

So if I purchase WiFi, I’m good to make calls? ( I’m old, not up to par on this stuff..lol) 

Me too.  Had to get my son to set my phone up for wi-fi calling to use whenever we are outside of the US

28 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Me too.  Had to get my son to set my phone up for wi-fi calling to use whenever we are outside of the US

I recommend you set up wi-fi calling to work all the time - even when you're in the US. Don't wait until you're on a cruise. When I have both cell and wi-fi available, it chooses the best connection. My neighborhood does not have good cell coverage, so many of my neighbors complain that their phones don't work very well at home. Mine never has a problem, since it automatically uses wi-fi when the cell signal is not adequate.

When you get on the ship, it is best to put your phone into airplane mode. Then turn on wifi. Don't turn airplane mode off unless you are in a port covered by your plan. Personally, I leave airplane mode on unless I'm in a US port, since my cell plan covers US only. Wi-fi works fine in airplane mode. You do need to turn wi-fi back on after turning airplane mode on.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I recommend you set up wi-fi calling to work all the time - even when you're in the US. Don't wait until you're on a cruise. When I have both cell and wi-fi available, it chooses the best connection. My neighborhood does not have good cell coverage, so many of my neighbors complain that their phones don't work very well at home. Mine never has a problem, since it automatically uses wi-fi when the cell signal is not adequate.

When you get on the ship, it is best to put your phone into airplane mode. Then turn on wifi. Don't turn airplane mode off unless you are in a port covered by your plan. Personally, I leave airplane mode on unless I'm in a US port, since my cell plan covers US only. Wi-fi works fine in airplane mode. You do need to turn wi-fi back on after turning airplane mode on.

Don't work anymore and only use a cell phone and no problems with wi-fi or cell coverage. .  Just use wi-fi calling if we are out of county and need to call the U.S.  Airplane mode goes on the minute  we leave the U.S.  Kids have taught us well.

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We always use WhatsApp along with T mobile on the ship which words works great. Also calling and sending each other text messages. 

Guess I should wear my glasses when typing. 🤪