Cell phone reception

sueasselstine

Hi there, we'll be cruising in a couple of weeks, doing the inside passage. We're coming from Canada, so looking to get a US-based SIM card for our cell phones. From my research, most providers I've seen don't even include Alaska, or the reviews say that the reception is very slow. Does anyone have any insight, or recommendations on providers? Thank you!

Supplemental question on this theme.. has anyone used an eSIM or know of one that’s good for Alaska? I’m not going through the rigmarole of buying yet another US sim that means having a new number for anyone back home that wants to contact me. 

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Supplemental question on this theme.. has anyone used an eSIM or know of one that’s good for Alaska? I’m not going through the rigmarole of buying yet another US sim that means having a new number for anyone back home that wants to contact me. 

Do not use Mint Mobile's. Visible may work (uses Verizon's network).

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:49 PM, eileeshb said:

I read an article earlier today about eSIMs that can be used in a lot of different countries. I have not used them and don't know anything about this company, but thought I would pass along the name of the company: Holafly

15 hours ago, richart said:

I read an article earlier today about eSIMs that can be used in a lot of different countries. I have not used them and don't know anything about this company, but thought I would pass along the name of the company: Holafly

I’ve been looking into Holafly as they do an unlimited data package for USA, their FAQ lists AT&T as one of their carriers and when you look at the AT&T coverage map it should work, but when I did a chat session with Holafly their rep shared an internal map which shows zero coverage in Ketchikan.