Oasis Portside BBQ Price Increase

41 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Agreed.

In theory, you've supplemented 3 full meals plus snacks in your cruise fare.  So, additional food should be incredibly work-intensive, severely supply-limited, and/or gourmet quality to be charged for.

None of those apply to BBQ in any form.

They still offer three full meals and more. You can eat in the main dining room, the buffet, the Solarium, El Loco mexican, the dog house, Soorento's pizza for free. just because you want a BBQ restaurant for free doesn't mean they should offer it. You have a choice, nobody's forcing anybody to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nferr said:

They still offer three full meals and more. You can eat in the main dining room, the buffet, the Solarium, El Loco mexican, the dog house, Soorento's pizza for free. just because you want a BBQ restaurant for free doesn't mean they should offer it. You have a choice, nobody's forcing anybody to pay for it.

Wow, the hot dog is included! 🙄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nferr said:

You are choosing to ignore the point.

31 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

You are choosing to ignore the point.

Not at all. Your point is you don't want to pay extra for it. It's been a hit so obviously many don't agree with you. You can always choose to cruise another line if it's something you can't live with.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:46 AM, Another_Critic said:

Is Royal going to follow the new normal ... increase price, decrease quality and quantity?

Already has.  I am diamond + so I will losing a lot but I am trying something different for our next cruise.  So many small things I notice,  have been eliminated.   Many things have gone down,  except the pricing.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nferr said:

Not at all. Your point is you don't want to pay extra for it. It's been a hit so obviously many don't agree with you. You can always choose to cruise another line if it's something you can't live with.

No. I don't have a problem paying for special extras, the question is... how much?  My point is that our cruise fare already supplements a good share of the cost of food on the ship.  When the cost for food on a cruise equals or exceeds those on land, I have a problem with that.  I LOVE the fact that Royal has added Playmakers to some of their ships (I wish they all had it).  I'm ok paying extra to get decent food later in the evening, like chicken wings.  I get so tired of mediocre pizza and finger sandwiches as my only late night options   However, Playmaker prices are jumping as well 😡  

Raising food prices doesn't seem to be bothering Royal though.  I would argue that their dinner prices for specialty restaurants can easily match or exceed those on land for similar quality of food.  We haven't been cruising for 30 years like some on these boards, but have been for regular cruisers on Royal since 2012.  This trend of massive price increases for drinks and food on board is disturbing.  Yes, it may very well push us to other lines despite the fact that we are Diamond on Royal.  It's just sad to see because we love(d) the Royal product...  but it's changing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

No. I don't have a problem paying for special extras, the question is... how much?  My point is that our cruise fare already supplements a good share of the cost of food on the ship.  When the cost for food on a cruise equals or exceeds those on land, I have a problem with that.  I LOVE the fact that Royal has added Playmakers to some of their ships (I wish they all had it).  I'm ok paying extra to get decent food later in the evening, like chicken wings.  I get so tired of mediocre pizza and finger sandwiches as my only late night options   However, Playmaker prices are jumping as well 😡  

Raising food prices doesn't seem to be bothering Royal though.  I would argue that their dinner prices for specialty restaurants can easily match or exceed those on land for similar quality of food.  We haven't been cruising for 30 years like some on these boards, but have been for regular cruisers on Royal since 2012.  This trend of massive price increases for drinks and food on board is disturbing.  Yes, it may very well push us to other lines despite the fact that we are Diamond on Royal.  It's just sad to see because we love(d) the Royal product...  but it's changing.

Exactly. You vote with your dollars. That's the point. If you feel the product is overpriced you go elsewhere. I'm Diamond also and that's a big factor for me. Just the four free drinks a day is almost a $70 a day perk. That's five hundred bucks on a seven day cruise. Plus the other minor perks. So that gets priced in when I look at other cruise line fares. That said I'm booked on MSC in January out of NY. Nine night cruise solo with the drink package and free wifi for $1,020, see if I like it. Three night package in the specialty restaurants is $71, gratuity included. Keep your options open, it's silly to just stay with one cruise line and complain.

On 8/22/2023 at 4:57 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

BBQ prices here in North Texas are up about 50% in the last 6-9 months

We live on a small farm and raise angus cross beef cattle.  The cost of feeder steers have about doubled since January.  It's no surprise that prices at restaurants both on land and at sea are up.            Saw a reel that Oasis moves 12ft on 1 gallon of fuel.  With diesel prices where they are- not sure its demand as much as overhead driving prices as high as they are.   Elections have consequences.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scottnkim said:

We live on a small farm and raise angus cross beef cattle.  The cost of feeder steers have about doubled since January.  It's no surprise that prices at restaurants both on land and at sea are up.            Saw a reel that Oasis moves 12ft on 1 gallon of fuel.  With diesel prices where they are- not sure its demand as much as overhead driving prices as high as they are.   Elections have consequences.

Preach brother!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nferr said:

Exactly. You vote with your dollars. That's the point. If you feel the product is overpriced you go elsewhere. I'm Diamond also and that's a big factor for me. Just the four free drinks a day is almost a $70 a day perk. That's five hundred bucks on a seven day cruise. Plus the other minor perks. So that gets priced in when I look at other cruise line fares. That said I'm booked on MSC in January out of NY. Nine night cruise solo with the drink package and free wifi for $1,020, see if I like it. Three night package in the specialty restaurants is $71, gratuity included. Keep your options open, it's silly to just stay with one cruise line and complain.

Agree, the 4 drinks vouchers per day is a massive benefit that keeps us looking at Royal first and foremost.  We make use of all of them.  It doesn't completely keep us with Royal though.  We did get a good deal on a 5 night in December on the Celebrity Equinox with drinks, WiFi and gratuities included.  Decent prices are getting harder and harder to come by though, especially when we are currently stuck with summer and holidays due to my wife and kids work and school schedules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Decent prices are getting harder and harder to come by though, especially when we are currently stuck with summer and holidays due to my wife and kids work and school schedules.

Middle of winter when kids are in school doesn't have pricing to jump on either.