Miami???

3rdGenCunarder

Has anyone else had a message from HAL changing a cruise departure from FLL to Miami? I got this email this morning.

I'm okay with it. It means I can spend a night or two in South Beach with an easier transfer to the cruise port, but I have never sailed HAL out of Miami. I apologize for the spacing. I did a cut and paste. At least I was able to get the font down to a normal size and not humongous!!!

Please be advised that your upcoming Zaandam voyage departing on Saturday,
February 3, 2024 will now sail roundtrip from Miami, Florida rather than Fort
Lauderdale, Florida as previously scheduled. PortMiami is located at 1015
North America Way, Miami, Florida, 33132. Guests with a Holland America Line
pre- or post-cruise hotel package or transfer will be taken directly between
their Fort Lauderdale hotel or the airport and the pier. Guests with
independent transfer arrangements should adjust their plans accordingly.

Our arrival and departure times in Miami have been adjusted to allow time for
transfers to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), so
existing air schedules do not need to be adjusted. For guests with Holland
America Line's Flight Ease Air, we have lifted your flights from your booking
to adjust the itinerary in our system, and they will be available again after
August 30

2 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Yes, the Oosterdam was changed to Miami last year when it returned from Europe and was on its way to South America.  I'm guessing Ft Lauderdale was overbooked with ships for the Zaandam to be moved to Miami.

That was my first thought, but I checked whatsinport, and there were 3 HAL ships listed, including Zaandam. FLL can usually take 3 HAL ships, but there are 2 X and 1 RC and 1 Princess on the list, too. So maybe one of those is taking a berth that HAL would have had. is more than they can take. Zaandam is smaller than NA and Eurodam, so I guess it makes sense to move/inconvenience the fewest people. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That was my first thought, but I checked whatsinport, and there were 3 HAL ships listed, including Zaandam. FLL can usually take 3 HAL ships, but there are 2 X and 1 RC and 1 Princess on the list, too. So maybe one of those is taking a berth that HAL would have had. is more than they can take. Zaandam is smaller than NA and Eurodam, so I guess it makes sense to move/inconvenience the fewest people. 

I checked cruisetimetables and including Zaandam there would have been 8 ships both dates.  On both dates there will be Celebrity Apex and Reflection, Nieuw Amsterdam, Odyssey of the Seas, Viking Mars, and Sky Princess.  In addition there will be Silver Dawn on February 3 and Eurodam on February 17. 

I think part of the reason for getting the short end of the stick is there are only 2 Fort Lauderdale round trips to be inconvenienced.  On February 3 Zaandam will be returning from San Diego, and after February 17 will be the last Fort Lauderdale round trip she will be going back to San Diego, so there will be few people with cars at the port.

Roy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I checked cruisetimetables and including Zaandam there would have been 8 ships both dates.  On both dates there will be Celebrity Apex and Reflection, Nieuw Amsterdam, Odyssey of the Seas, Viking Mars, and Sky Princess.  In addition there will be Silver Dawn on February 3 and Eurodam on February 17. 

I think part of the reason for getting the short end of the stick is there are only 2 Fort Lauderdale round trips to be inconvenienced.  On February 3 Zaandam will be returning from San Diego, and after February 17 will be the last Fort Lauderdale round trip she will be going back to San Diego, so there will be few people with cars at the port.

Roy

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

It could be a conspiracy to keep DW & I from waving to you. 😁 Carnival built a brand new terminal in Miami and Fort Lauderdale might be getting full. (Although I'm pretty sure that it's so I can't wave at you.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

It could be a conspiracy to keep DW & I from waving to you. 😁 Carnival built a brand new terminal in Miami and Fort Lauderdale might be getting full. (Although I'm pretty sure that it's so I can't wave at you.)

I shall toast you in absentia. Or Miami...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Well if the food has really been downgraded then I will loose weight!

32 minutes ago, timbom said:

Yes a lot of us were planning on driving .. I think it is unfair that we have to pay the transportaion between the terminals. Who do we complain about this too.  

HEADQUARTERS IN SEATTLE

1 hour ago, timbom said:

Yes a lot of us were planning on driving .. I think it is unfair that we have to pay the transportaion between the terminals. Who do we complain about this too.  

When we were changed to Miami on the Oosterdam, if you had a HAL transfer booked they honoured the price already paid and took care of the transfers for those who were flying out of FLL.  that was a very last minute change, though - not the notice you are receiving.

Independents (like you and I although I wasn’t driving) were out of luck and had to do their own arrangements.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, timbom said:

One suggestion for a possible solution or at least to make the best of a bad situation.  One possibility is a park and fly hotel in Fort Lauderdale and there is a van service I have used that still seems to have good reviews.

Still, I would have preferred that HAL had you round trip Miami.  I suspect that would have been just a minor inconvenience for those on the next cruise since it ends in San Diego.

Roy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

One suggestion for a possible solution or at least to make the best of a bad situation.  One possibility is a park and fly hotel in Fort Lauderdale and there is a van service I have used that still seems to have good reviews.

Still, I would have preferred that HAL had you round trip Miami.  I suspect that would have been just a minor inconvenience for those on the next cruise since it ends in San Diego.

Roy

Yeah, unlikely someone would drive to the embarkation port for that one. 

• Like 1

Sent message to my Holland personal cruise consultant and she said she checked and it is my responsibility to pay the extra money to get from FLL to Miami. 

As this is Hollands change you would think they could compensate us a fifty dollar credit or so for this change on a four or five thousand dollar cruise. 

Yes it would be much easier to leave and arrive at same port.