Question about wireless (bluetooth) headset with Vista TV

zteamtwo

I like  to use my over ear wireless headset to listen to TV after my wife goes to sleep.  I would assume the new TV's on Vista are smart TV's and therefore will I be able to connect my headset to the TV?  Will I need a "bluetooth" device to connect (red and white wires--I think it's called RCA) to the back of the TV?  Can the TV be moved slightly and rotated?  Need some IT guys for help.  Sailing Vista for 12 days starting Jan 19 2024.

2 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

I like  to use my over ear wireless headset to listen to TV after my wife goes to sleep.  I would assume the new TV's on Vista are smart TV's and therefore will I be able to connect my headset to the TV?  Will I need a "bluetooth" device to connect (red and white wires--I think it's called RCA) to the back of the TV?  Can the TV be moved slightly and rotated?  Need some IT guys for help.  Sailing Vista for 12 days starting Jan 19 2024.

@zteamtwo I watch lots of video's with room tours for all the Oceania ships.  I am going to give you some information but please realize it is not first hand experience.  I am pretty sure thought.  The Flat Screens Oceania is using are Samsung.  If you go to the setup menu, they have a bluetooth setting.  You need to pair your headphones to the the TV.  I do it all the time in my home with all of my Samsung TV's.  Not hard. 

About the RCA connectors.  Not a good idea.  You would be better off with a HDMI cord.  My son on a recent cruise on NCL (Sister Company) Samsung TV was able to connect his Xbox via side HDMI connector.  The only problem was he was always playing the Xbox.

Again, I can confirm the TV's work with Blue Tooth in 78 days.  Also, I am on the Riviera not Vista.  I will do my best to remember. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@zteamtwo I watch lots of video's with room tours for all the Oceania ships.  I am going to give you some information but please realize it is not first hand experience.  I am pretty sure thought.  The Flat Screens Oceania is using are Samsung.  If you go to the setup menu, they have a bluetooth setting.  You need to pair your headphones to the the TV.  I do it all the time in my home with all of my Samsung TV's.  Not hard. 

About the RCA connectors.  Not a good idea.  You would be better off with a HDMI cord.  My son on a recent cruise on NCL (Sister Company) Samsung TV was able to connect his Xbox via side HDMI connector.  The only problem was he was always playing the Xbox.

Again, I can confirm the TV's work with Blue Tooth in 78 days.  Also, I am on the Riviera not Vista.  I will do my best to remember. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

O has disabled all these inputs on theTVs, along with the setup menu.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

O has disabled all these inputs on theTVs, along with the setup menu.

Yes, but I remember one person posting once that was a real techie and brought some type of Universal Remote that could override Hotel type TVs and was able to get in the setup menu. Over my head and I'm not sure what he was accessing, it's been a long time since I read about it. We used to have a saying when I was a kid, "Will it work?" answer, "It will if you wire it up right". It doesn't matter what you're trying to do. 

It is unlikely a universal remote alone will do anything more then the supplied remote. Not sure about Oceania but on another line if you go to guest services they will dispatch a techie with the box that plugs into TV audio out and has a headphone jack on it and I believe can pair with headphones.

Worth a try.

11 hours ago, azdrydock said:

t is unlikely a universal remote alone will do anything more then the supplied remote.

This wasn't an ordinary universal remote. It was one a technician would use. I wish the poster that did it would come along and explain it, but it does take a certain amount of technical knowledge. 

Edited by ORV

The TVs in the staterooms are part of the ship’s emergency notification system. It appears Bluetooth and other system features have been disabled - I saw no way to access set up from the remote nor did I readily see any USB or other ports. Is there a work around? Probably, there always (think of those with skills to access residential electricity without a meter showing usage) is, but you may want to see what your ticket contract about damages for such use. Can you imagine the headache for staff to have to regularly reconfigure tv settings in the staterooms for guest change overs?

I was finally able to speak to the IT Manager. The TVs in the LYNC Digital Center apparently can be used for video games, etc. This is our 8th day aboard Vista and we’ve yet to see a minor. Suppose the Digital Center be used by kids if they we aboard. 

Hanoj--appreciate your reply very much about connecting a headset to the cabin TV.  Thanks for doing that. Keep the posts going. I will leave my wireless headset at home and perhaps use closed caption as someone suggested.

• Like 1