Dining at the Verandah for solos?

sucramdi

A big thumbs down to any... of any sort, at any volume, canned "musak" on decks, in dining rooms... anywhere.  I was delighted on QV in May to the Baltic, it was mercifully absent around the midships pool where it has been an annoyance on past cruises.  Hurray!! I just hope it stays turned off.  It was a major turn off on QM2 around the aft pool and I just pity those occupying those very expensive duplex QG suites aft who are forced to listen to that audio garbage on their "private" verandas.  

There are zillions of ways nowadays to listen to YOUR music. No one should be forced to listen to someone else's.  

The original Veranda on QM2 actually had a wonderful 1950s West End menu, all in French of course, that was quite distinctive.  Alas, too much so for folks who cannot conceive of "fine dining" without "a steak knife" the size of a Lee-Enfield bayonet. The present Veranda actually thinks it's "de luxe" to choose your bayonet from a large canteen of them.  

• Like 2

I don't think it needs music, certainly not dancing (not enough people anyway). But I think you may have a point about lighting / candles, soft furnishings, table placing by windows and related.

I suspect they are making good money from the Alternative Venues, it's more the alcohol than anything else. If they were not Alternative Venues, then what would you do with the space? And would it make you more money? That I would doubt.

That isn't to say Cunard can't improve. In addition to the atmosphere issue, the thing that will bring back customers is a combination of menu, pricing, wait staff interactions. If you had really great service and a good table on one night of a crossing, then a well placed special offer may get a second booking. Put in a special celebration menu / options. An exclusive bar perhaps.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Wouldn't more cabins in that space make access to the open deck even harder. I suppose not, if they left a corridor through, so that sounds a pretty good idea. I’ve never liked the Verandahs much, though I admit I’ve rarely dined in them. Live music - which invariably makes conversation difficult would certainly ensure I did not go there again. There must be other ways of making it livelier, if that is indeed desirable. Certainly more noise (sophisticated or not) would not appeal. What happens in the other ships?

I don’t mind if they close it. I never would pay extra for a meal. Given how popular the Golden Lion is as an included lunch venue another included eaterie would be good.  Would fancy a cabin there nearer to the Terrace Pool and deck . One of my favourite spots on QM2. 

5 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

QM2 Verandah .

We have watched walkups being denied a table yet several tables remained un occupied for the whole time we dined there?

May be still a staffing issue?

Yes, that seems SOP and is based on some decisions about staffing and other logistics (tables, plates, starters) that appear to be made just before doors open. Plus perhaps a bit of "computer says no".

As I say, I have only used the Verandah a couple of times, for free lunches and I’m not sure which ships. However, it is the only venue on Cunard where I have felt no warmth or welcome from the staff, almost as if they considered me not up to their restaurant. A complete contrast to the staff in the Lido pop ups, who have always been lovely.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As I say, I have only used the Verandah a couple of times, for free lunches and I’m not sure which ships. However, it is the only venue on Cunard where I have felt no warmth or welcome from the staff, almost as if they considered me not up to their restaurant. A complete contrast to the staff in the Lido pop ups, who have always been lovely.

We have Verandah'd a couple of times on QV,  always for lunch on  the Diamond freebie and only to dine with friends.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Pretentious and stark. Would I pay for the experience? Not in a million years.

• Like 3

Going back to OP’s concern, from what I’ve read here, it sounds like a solo diner in Veranda would not feel very comfortable in a soulless venue. If I’m dining alone, I’d like to feed off some energy and excitement being generated at a restaurant, not fiddle around in silence. 
We dined at Veranda on QE years ago with our Britannia table-mates and it was generally un-memorable. 

• Like 1

We haven’t felt the need to go to the Verandah because the QG restaurant on QM2 has always been so wonderful. Do the steaks in the Verandah come from a different place than the steaks in QG? If I have lobster in QG is it different from the lobster in the Verandah? I’ve paid enough to be in QG so why would I pay more for the same thing in the Verandah?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, techteach said:

We haven’t felt the need to go to the Verandah because the QG restaurant on QM2 has always been so wonderful. Do the steaks in the Verandah come from a different place than the steaks in QG? If I have lobster in QG is it different from the lobster in the Verandah? I’ve paid enough to be in QG so why would I pay more for the same thing in the Verandah?

Exactly. And the staff in QG know you and care for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Verandah menus do not appeal to us.

However we would love to dine in restaurants that advertise a Dinner Dance and provide live musician(s) that play strict tempo music suitable for dancing. We sometimes came across such events in Scotland, usually in hotels that had restaurants serving decent food with space for a dance floor.

We'd typically spend 5 or 6 hours over a meal and drinks in that sort of venue, from aperitifs to nightcaps.  If I could find that every night both ways on an Atlantic Crossing it would be my idea of heaven.

Those that don't like music or dancing with their meal could easily stay away as it would be clear what to expect.

• Like 1

We have paid full freight for dinner in the QM2 Verandah and used our Diamond ‘free lunch’ as a credit against dinner.  I find the lunch menu limited and uninspiring but the dinner menu is great.

We go to enjoy great steaks, good wine and good conversation and wouldn’t go to dance.  The Queen’s Room is for dancing.

Our last two visits to the Verandah were last fall between Quebec and New York and both times the restaurant was two thirds to three quarters full, not empty.  We found the staff just fine.

7 hours ago, techteach said:

I felt the same way in PG - we really felt cared for well and no reason to spend time or money elsewhere. Such kind servers and memorable meals in PG. 

@NE John I tried to reduce the cost of our next cruise by looking at PG and DH would have nothing of it. We have been so well cared for in QG it is amazing, and he won’t give it up. He loves looking out at the dining room filled with people dressed nicely being served formally and graciously. He loves the flambé cart and Dover Sole!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@NE John I tried to reduce the cost of our next cruise by looking at PG and DH would have nothing of it. We have been so well cared for in QG it is amazing, and he won’t give it up. He loves looking out at the dining room filled with people dressed nicely being served formally and graciously. He loves the flambé cart and Dover Sole!

We received much of the same dining experience in PG. We had Turbot instead of Dover Sole and ordered an off-menu Indian banquet that was superb. We also had table-side carving and flambé almost every night in PG. There may be some other higher-end dining perks in QG but I see the QG premium going towards bigger suites and a stand-alone shower. 
IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.2420db12d4d10d300530826e95a67074.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

We received much of the same dining experience in PG. We had Turbot instead of Dover Sole and ordered an off-menu Indian banquet that was superb. We also had table-side carving and flambé almost every night in PG. There may be some other higher-end dining perks in QG but I see the QG premium going towards bigger suites and a stand-alone shower. 
IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.2420db12d4d10d300530826e95a67074.jpeg

John

We too enjoyed the PG on the previous sailing and couldn't ask for anything more.

Multiple Flambe's each night all around the dining room but did not delay our dessert or entree prep for our dining.

DW would accept an upgrade to QG if offered but I would remain in PG if so be it. So we'll see but even now I have true memories of 13 days in PG and the Wonderful Staff. We rarely ate in the GL, KC or Carint....ever. Looking forward to the good news if comes to UG next sailing. We are also due for it.

• Like 2

I have a really hard time putting music in the background. If the music is live I feel like I need to react to it with applause. Obviously not in a fine dining room with live piano playing as background. When you start talking about a trio then it feels like a club and conversation becomes difficult. I agree with @rmsEtruria that the Four Seasons is greatly over played. There is a steak house in Las Vegas where the music is so loud you can’t hear the person across the table from you so we’ve removed it from our list. Perhaps turning the Verandah into a jazz club isn’t a bad idea.

21 minutes ago, techteach said:

I have a really hard time putting music in the background. If the music is live I feel like I need to react to it with applause. Obviously not in a fine dining room with live piano playing as background. When you start talking about a trio then it feels like a club and conversation becomes difficult. I agree with @rmsEtruria that the Four Seasons is greatly over played. There is a steak house in Las Vegas where the music is so loud you can’t hear the person across the table from you so we’ve removed it from our list. Perhaps turning the Verandah into a jazz club isn’t a bad idea.

Vivaldi does have a few more scores to his bow than Four Seasons.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Victoria2 Yes, but when the last time you heard one played in a restaurant?

Mandolin concerto and  L'estro...definitely. Two trumpets too.

Edit

Most folk associate Vivaldi with Spring and then Summer [Four Seasons] and probably wouldn't necessarily be aware of  other work.

Edited by Victoria2

@Victoria2 Since I have a Masters Degree in Music I know Vivaldi wrote many pieces other than the 4 Seasons. I have a nice collection of Baroque music. It is why I don’t care for background music. I am always playing name that tune, or name that movement, or name that performer. This is especially true of violin or piano concertos.

20 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Victoria2 Since I have a Masters Degree in Music I know Vivaldi wrote many pieces other than the 4 Seasons. I have a nice collection of Baroque music. It is why I don’t care for background music. I am always playing name that tune, or name that movement, or name that performer. This is especially true of violin or piano concertos.

Baroque is my favourite music era and I too have quite a collection, records from  my youth and CDs. I'm a  'name that tune' addict, can't help it, especially from bars of music, although my knowledge is limited to listening [and singing] rather than any tertiary education in the subject.

I enjoy soft background music. We are all different. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
added singing

1 hour ago, techteach said:

DW thinks I’m an alien because I can name the song, composer, rock group, time era of music from Bach to Coltrane to Nirvana after just listening to a few notes. We must have a weird eidetic memory for sound and music. Maybe that’s why I was frustrated with the music in the QR during our last TA, odd tempos and arrangements of familiar tunes.