New to Celebrity with dining and drink package questions

Bxianesq

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Insignia next month.  We are seasoned Holland America travelers.  In looking at the Celebrity app, it appears that instead of a single main dining room and Lido (buffet), there are multiple dining options included (Blu, Luminae, Main Dining room at Trellis) for no additional charge, plus  the Tuscan grille, le Petit Chef and Sushi on Five (for a fee). Am I correct that there is no central main dining room?  If so, for the 3 free options, are we supposed to book a preferred dining time in advance?  On HAL, we do anytime dining and just show up at the main dining room when we want to eat. We have a specialty meal included in our booking, so we already booked the Tuscan Grill for one night.

There is a specialty Daniel Boulud dining event on board one evening, although the app does not specify a date.  Would this be worth doing (we are foodies)?  If so, is it likely that we would be able to get a reservation with no Captain's Club status (other than the fact that we've joined but have not yet cruised with Celebrity)?

Finally, we have the basic drink package, and I suspect that the wines will be fairly basic as well. If we want to get a glass of wine (or a flight at Cellar Masters) that costs more than the price point for the wines included in the package, can we pay the difference, or will we be charged for the full cost of the glass (or wine flight). 

42 minutes ago, Bxianesq said:

Am I correct that there is no central main dining room? 

pay the difference

---No, there is a MDR.

---You pay the difference (plus 20% gratuity).

Insignia sounds like Infinity?  Maybe???

I'm assuming you mean the Infinity as there is no Insignia.  What is your cabin category?  As stated above, there is a Main Dining Room (for Concierge class and under--Veranda, Oceanview, Inside).  Blu is for Aqua Class and Luminae is for Suites.  Your booking should tell you (if your Concierge or under) whether you have a set dining time or you are Select Dining (anythime).  If you are Select, you can either make a time reservation for each night on the app or online or you can just show up at the time you want (you may have a short wait, but they'll give you a buzzer).  We usually will just show up, get our buzzer and sit in Cellar Masters (on the M Class ships) and wait.  Usually no more that 10-20 minutes.

For the drink package, you just pay the difference + 20% for any drink above the limit.  If you feel you may be going over the limit alot, you might want to consider upgrading to the Premium package.  We always do.  Makes life much easier.  There is usually a discount for upgrading prior to boarding but you can't do it online or on the app.  You need to call (or have your travel agent call).

Re: the Daniel Boulud Dining experience, I haven't done that but have heard others say they have enjoyed it.  You should be able to book that online.  When you board, the information will be in your stateroom with date and time.  If it interferes with something your doing, you can cancel.

If you enjoy wine, I would recommend the World Wine Tour tasting.  It's usually on a sea day.  They will have 5 or 6 stations set up for wines from different parts of the world with a Sommelier at each station.  It lasts about an hour and you can taste any and all of the wines during that time.  They'll also have an assortment of cheeses and crackers.  Check your cruise planner for a discount for booking before your sailing.  Otherwise you can book onboard at Cellar Masters.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, luv2camp04 said:

I'm assuming you mean the Infinity as there is no Insignia.  What is your cabin category?  As stated above, there is a Main Dining Room (for Concierge class and under--Veranda, Oceanview, Inside).  Blu is for Aqua Class and Luminae is for Suites.  Your booking should tell you (if your Concierge or under) whether you have a set dining time or you are Select Dining (anythime).  If you are Select, you can either make a time reservation for each night on the app or online or you can just show up at the time you want (you may have a short wait, but they'll give you a buzzer).  We usually will just show up, get our buzzer and sit in Cellar Masters (on the M Class ships) and wait.  Usually no more that 10-20 minutes.

For the drink package, you just pay the difference + 20% for any drink above the limit.  If you feel you may be going over the limit alot, you might want to consider upgrading to the Premium package.  We always do.  Makes life much easier.  There is usually a discount for upgrading prior to boarding but you can't do it online or on the app.  You need to call (or have your travel agent call).

Re: the Daniel Boulud Dining experience, I haven't done that but have heard others say they have enjoyed it.  You should be able to book that online.  When you board, the information will be in your stateroom with date and time.  If it interferes with something your doing, you can cancel.

If you enjoy wine, I would recommend the World Wine Tour tasting.  It's usually on a sea day.  They will have 5 or 6 stations set up for wines from different parts of the world with a Sommelier at each station.  It lasts about an hour and you can taste any and all of the wines during that time.  They'll also have an assortment of cheeses and crackers.  Check your cruise planner for a discount for booking before your sailing.  Otherwise you can book onboard at Cellar Masters.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I upgraded my drink package yesterday online and it was available in the app. I didn’t need to call. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt replies.  Yes, we are on the Infinity.  We previously sailed on the Oceania Insignia, so I guess I got my I ships mixed up. 

We are in a veranda cabin.

We have no sea days on our 7 day cruise, so I'm not sure whether we will have the World Wine Tour as an option.  We might try the flights in Cellar Masters. 

We have Select dining-good to know that we can reserve the day of. 

8 hours ago, Bxianesq said:

Thanks for the prompt replies.  Yes, we are on the Infinity.  We previously sailed on the Oceania Insignia, so I guess I got my I ships mixed up. 

We are in a veranda cabin.

We have no sea days on our 7 day cruise, so I'm not sure whether we will have the World Wine Tour as an option.  We might try the flights in Cellar Masters. 

We have Select dining-good to know that we can reserve the day of. 

bi - please know that 'flights' of beverages are not included in any beverage package, yet if available, flights can be purchased in your CP, if offered, in advance.

Cheers and bon voyage

14 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

bi - please know that 'flights' of beverages are not included in any beverage package, yet if available, flights can be purchased in your CP, if offered, in advance.

Cheers and bon voyage

Thanks!

On every cruise we’ve taken (Oceania, Azamara, Viking), we have gone to dinner whenever we wanted.  Now we’re trying Celebrity (Equinox) for the first time and we’re scheduled to eat every day at 6:00 PM.

We’re trying to change that to Celebrity Select Dining Anytime, but if we can’t, can you please let us know if we would be seated with other people or can we have a table for two every time at 6:00 PM?  Does this 6:00 PM time slot apply only to the Main Dining Room or does it also apply to the specialty restaurants?  I assume we need to make reservations for the specialty restaurants, right?  If so, can we choose the time and table size when we make the reservation?

Appreciate any help you can provide.  We're staying in the Retreat, so if worse comes to worse, we'll eat every night at Luminae.

There’s no need to go to the MDR if you can eat in Luminae. If there’s a dish on the MDR menu you want I’m sure they’ll bring it to you.

You can have a table for 2, we always get that on anytime dining, if you are stuck with early just go talk to them on embarkation just to be sure you’ve been assigned a table for 2. Specialty restaurants have all times, some are in the app, some you need to reserve on board as they hold some times back, ask on board. I dont think you choose table size but many are for 2. 

Edited by tigervixxxen

I just got back from Celebrity Eclipse.  The Classic Beverage Package is pretty limited.  I suggest you check the list and perhaps upgrade.  Basic internet is basically useless.  If you want to post a picture or anything else, upgrade to Premium.  The speed was 3.5 at the highest.  I thought satellite would be faster, but it did work.