Our August 6th Prima cruise, London to Reykjavik could have really been a disaster

ontheweb

If you read my thread about this cruise, you will have read how DW went to the medical center on the sea day between Norway and Iceland for constipation. She was examined and give a prescription. Still felt bad when we got home, and her doctor basically did the same thing except told her to get an over the counter drug.

Well it turns out that as it was not as bad yet, they both missed what was really happening. She had a blockage. She ended up yesterday with first an ambulance, then an emergency room visit, and finally a hospital check in.

If this had progressed faster or the shipboard doctor really found out what was the problem (needed a CAT scan to find it), I can't imagine how much pf a hassle medical transportation back to the USA from Iceland would have been. It definitely would have made us at least thankful for having insured the trip.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Well it turns out that as it was not as bad yet, they both missed what was really happening. She had a blockage. She ended up yesterday with first an ambulance, then an emergency room visit, and finally a hospital check in.

Prayers for her to have a speedy recovery and peace of mind for both of you!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Glad it was caught in time.

Not to defend either doctor, but from personal experience I can tell you that's what they all do for constipaton.   She must have been in dire pain for the hospital to ultimately do the CT scan.

Yes, it is a rare condition, I understand that as we found that out a previous time that she actually had that back in the 1990s. They think they can drain it now. Last time she had an operation.

Her doctor the first time back in the 1990s was very apologetic, but after we understood how rare it was, we really did not need an apology from him. 

It's only Dr. House on tv who always figures it out it must be something rare rather than looking for the much more usual causes.

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph
  • Like 4

There's a med school saying (I'm not a doc but know several)  "If you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras."  Perfect example.  Most of the time OTC stuff will resolve the issue.  Thankfully, your wife's doc found the zebras before things got critical.

All the more reason I buy insurance.  Sometimes, just GeoBlue for the med stuff, if it isn't an expensive trip, but for people in my age range (later 50s) it isn't particularly expensive and well worth the peace of mind.  Nobody needs a $100K+ out-of-pocket bill.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

There's a med school saying (I'm not a doc but know several)  "If you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras."  Perfect example.  Most of the time OTC stuff will resolve the issue.  Thankfully, your wife's doc found the zebras before things got critical.

All the more reason I buy insurance.  Sometimes, just GeoBlue for the med stuff, if it isn't an expensive trip, but for people in my age range (later 50s) it isn't particularly expensive and well worth the peace of mind.  Nobody needs a $100K+ out-of-pocket bill.

Yes, I remember that quotation about "zebras" when dealing with an out of the ordinary medical diagnosis the first time this happened to DW.

And doctors who do deep dives into a difficult diagnosis are zebra hunters.   It can also be used derogatively for a doctor who goes off on an obscure diagnosis before looking at the most common cause.  Worked with a few over my career and they cause so much fear and expense for patients.

43 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

A little surprised they didn’t try an enema following the laxative.

She was actually prescribed 5 pills to take one a day. But after the first, she had the opposite of constipation and never took the others. BTW, the doctor at home said those were over the counter drugs in the USA despite being prescription drugs in Europe.

By the time she ended in the emergency room and the hospital, she just wanted the persistent, awful gas pains to go away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

And doctors who do deep dives into a difficult diagnosis are zebra hunters.   It can also be used derogatively for a doctor who goes off on an obscure diagnosis before looking at the most common cause.  Worked with a few over my career and they cause so much fear and expense for patients.

Maybe a zebra hunter is unfortunately the type of doctor my DW should use. 🤦‍♂️

15 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

And doctors who do deep dives into a difficult diagnosis are zebra hunters.   It can also be used derogatively for a doctor who goes off on an obscure diagnosis before looking at the most common cause.  

Had one of those a few years ago, before a colonoscopy (at a NCI Cancer Center.)  Had a red cell count that was above range by a few points.  Doc sent me to a hematologist who immediately ran a battery of "zebra" bloodwork.  Finally, my family doc, who was never terribly concerned (I'd often been borderline high,) suggested a sleep study, which I'd previously resisted.  Yep, mild apnea.  Ultimately, no harm done...aside from making me anxious that I had any number of dread diseases.

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

True zebra hunters are talented diagnosticians and to be commended.  I hope she can find the help she needs.  maybe a diagnostic center.

Hopefully, she has no more medical concerns that require a "zebra hunter".

I did not mention at one point, DW wanted to switch our August 6th cruise to August 27th with the same itinerary. Since she is in the hospital, that obviously would not have worked out.

As of now she is getting better and 🤞 will be discharged on Thursday. My sincere thanks go out to all of you who sent good wishes and/or prayers.

• Like 4

I had a similar experience back in 2015 -- we were scheduled to go to China, and we had to cancel the trip because I was in the hospital -- for about a month!  They really don't want to operate unless they absolutely have to.  In my case, they did.  We had travel insurance, so we got back our money.

However, as someone else posted -- having medical evacuation insurance for things like this buys great peace of mind.  We use MedJet Assist.  If I should end up needing this kind of medical care and I'm overseas, as soon as I'm able to be transported, MeJet will take me to my hospital near my home.  I highly recommend that all travelers do the research to figure out what they would want to happen in the most unfortunate of circumstances and obtain insurance accordingly.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

I had a similar experience back in 2015 -- we were scheduled to go to China, and we had to cancel the trip because I was in the hospital -- for about a month!  They really don't want to operate unless they absolutely have to.  In my case, they did.  We had travel insurance, so we got back our money.

However, as someone else posted -- having medical evacuation insurance for things like this buys great peace of mind.  We use MedJet Assist.  If I should end up needing this kind of medical care and I'm overseas, as soon as I'm able to be transported, MeJet will take me to my hospital near my home.  I highly recommend that all travelers do the research to figure out what they would want to happen in the most unfortunate of circumstances and obtain insurance accordingly.  

Agreed with this

I believe MediJet only kicks in after you are admitted to a hospital, which didn't happen until they were back in the US in this case. Other travel medical also includes evacuation provisions, obviously varies, but I personally would rather have full coverage with that as a backup if needed.

Edited by chillyw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chillyw said:

Agreed with this

I believe MediJet only kicks in after you are admitted to a hospital, which didn't happen until they were back in the US in this case. Other travel medical also includes evacuation provisions, obviously varies, but I personally would rather have full coverage with that as a backup if needed.

Yes -- totally agree.  Just to clarify:  I am saying everyone should have travel insurance, and that insurance generally will cover reimbursing the cost of things. Some will also cover medical transport, but many say they will take you "to the nearest facility that can treat your condition."  If you would rather actually be taken to your hometown hospital, then you will want to get something like MedJet that provides that service. 

The OP's first post said, "I can't imagine how much of a hassle medical transportation back to the USA from Iceland would have been" and that's why I was explaining that there are companies that provide medical transport so that you wouldn't have to worry about getting back home under those circumstances.  

• Like 2

OP back. SHE'S HOME from the hospital! Thanks once again to all who sent well wishes and/or prayers.

Advice--do not let your bowel get twisted! Just constipation at first, but then it gets worse. Don't wait until the gas pain is so much you pass out. Get to an emergency room.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1