Confusion re alcohol to bring on ship

Barbara60

Amazing how many first timers are concerned about bringing alcohol on board. How much can one drink ??? Hmm should be quite interesting "floor show" and I don't mean in the theatre.

Edited by kibutzer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

Amazing how many first timers are concerned about bringing alcohol on board. How much can one drink ??? Hmm should be quite interesting "floor show" and I don't mean in the theatre.

@kibutzer Not sure if you were kidding but if not, you are kind of missing the reason.  It is not about getting wasted.  It is because years ago, bringing wine and spirits onboard was allowed.  Then it was completely and totally against the rules.  Because the cruise line wanted us to buy their drink packages.  So, Oceania realizes their guest are not doing shot of cheap tequila to get completely slushed.  Some have a cocktail or glass of wine or two.   Not saying some over indulge, they do.  

So as a new guest on Oceania Cruises, I am thrilled to bring wine onboard if only to be consumed in our suite.  This allows me to have above average wine for my lovely bride so she can do what she loves to do best.  Sit on the balcony, read a book and drink a nice white wine.  We had a bad experience on our last cruise where the wine as below the quality of wine-in-a-box.  This allows me to make sure my lovely wife is happy.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are many topics on this - a quick search will bring up many (usually asked at least once a week)

Here is your answer

1) You may bring as much alcohol (wine, beer, spirits, etc.) on at embarkation and at ports as you want.

2) All alcohol you bring onboard is only for consumption in your cabin except bottles of wine can be taken to a dining area where you pay a $25.00 corkage fee

Oceania reserves the right to limit personal alcohol if they find someone abusing the above by taking alcohol from their cabin for consumption in public spaces or due to over consumption of alcohol causing a problem for other guests

• Like 3

Just a few threads below, there is one of many threads about this issue.  Page down to the topic "Alcohol Question."

Posted Wednesday at 11:13 AM

On 8/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, Ray4Fun said:

Being new to Oceania . After reading the above. I can say the following

1. Wine can be brought onto the ship. 6 bottles at a time. Any most ports allow. 

2. Wine can be consumed in our cabin, OK to walk around with that glass of wine as long as the original bottle is in the room. Why I would do that is beyond I. 

3. The bottle of Gin for those G&T's is also coming onboard, no issue. We can enjoy those G&T's on our balcony. 

Did I miss something? 

We have traveled the world, with you name the cruise line. The one for O is NZ to Singapore, a last bucket list item. Only one other has a similar arrangement. That was long ago , well before the C. 

1.  The 6-bottle limit is not enforced unless you misbehave.

2. It's NOT OK to walk around with wine from your personal stash.  It is for consumption in your stateroom only.  

3.  You are not limited to 1 bottle of gin, or any other spirits..

4. You can take these items onboard at any port, if the country doesn't forbid it.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

OMG,, you're soooooo correct. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Barbara60 said:

Feels like I have read 6 bottles per person. 6 bottles per cabin. Wine only. Embarkation port only. Every port visited. Hard liquor okay but to be drunk in cabin only.

First timer on Oceania in November.

Thank you

Use the search feature here on CC. There’s a million threads about personal booze.

Basically, the T&Cs have a CYA statement that says 6 bottle limit (which is never enforced, as demonstrated by other O statements in Currents and in the O web FAQs). Also, see the picture showing my starter wine stash on our current Regatta cruise. (Looks like more than six to me).

Personal spirits are for in cabin consumption only.

Personal wine is for in cabin consumption except that you can pay a $25 “corkage” for a personal bottle and take that bottle to any dining or other public venue. And, YES, you must pay that corkage even if you pour yourself a glass or 2 or three…. of the wine from one of your bottles and carry it outside of the cabin for any reason.

You can also replenish your stock at port stops. Same consumption rules apply.

At the bottom line, just don’t be one of those cheapskates who take glasses of personal wine outside the cabin without paying the corkage.

32EA4AC6-F0B1-4407-86BB-7C3E0C519BB8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am upgrading to the cocktails drink package because I do not drink wine or beer. Husband is happy to drink wine and beer at lunch and dinner but may want a before dinner drink in our cabin. Not trying to rip anyone off, but I'm not a rule breaker.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Barbara60 said:

I am upgrading to the cocktails drink package because I do not drink wine or beer. Husband is happy to drink wine and beer at lunch and dinner but may want a before dinner drink in our cabin. Not trying to rip anyone off, but I'm not a rule breaker.

@Barbara60 I am new to Oceania as well.  As I have mentioned when the question have come up about bringing alcohol on the ship. Your question is based on the rules you followed on other cruise brands for years.  Old habits are hard to break. Oceania, to my liking, has taken a different tact.  They realize their demographic are not the super heavy drinkers.  Instead, they are the "Fine Wine" or "Martini Before Dinner" crowd.  Instead of putting an emphasis on drink packages, they put an emphasis on being smaller ship, port intensive and food as much as possible.  That said, I also am not a rule breaker.

If I am allowed to bring six (6) bottles on board, I will stay within those six bottles.  If at every port I can do the same, I will do so or not.  My approach is to always have the best drink program on my cruises.  It is NEVER a huge value to me because I would be much better off just buying a drink when I want them.  Just not the approach I want to use when I take my vacations.  I tend to structure my cruises as "All Inclusive" on brands that are NOT "All Inclusive" by preplanning and purchasing everything that makes my cruise to my liking. Not everyone thinks like I do so they can structure their vacation their way.

Many have said, the rule is 6 bottles but they have taken more on board.  That is fine for them, I stick to the 6 or less bottles.  I would take no bottles if I was convinced my wife would have a wine she would like guaranteed onboard since we both the the Prestige Drink Package.  But that has been a disappointment on other cruise brands which effected the quality of our vacation.  On other brands I have heard the word, "Supply Chain" once to many times to risk it.  

I have a motto.  "Always Pre-Plan the things you can control and understand their are many things that are not controllable on a cruise ship."  I can control 6 bottles of nice wine from a local store in Athens, Greece prior to boarding a "Once In A Lifetime Cruise".  This allows me to manage my realistic expectations being a first time cruiser on Oceania Cruises.  Something tells me I don't have to buy the wine but I would rather hedge my bets.  I hope that makes sense and supports your post.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Barbara60 I am new to Oceania as well.  As I have mentioned when the question have come up about bringing alcohol on the ship. Your question is based on the rules you followed on other cruise brands for years.  Old habits are hard to break. Oceania, to my liking, has taken a different tact.  They realize their demographic are not the super heavy drinkers.  Instead, they are the "Fine Wine" or "Martini Before Dinner" crowd.  Instead of putting an emphasis on drink packages, they put an emphasis on being smaller ship, port intensive and food as much as possible.  That said, I also am not a rule breaker.

If I am allowed to bring six (6) bottles on board, I will stay within those six bottles.  If at every port I can do the same, I will do so or not.  My approach is to always have the best drink program on my cruises.  It is NEVER a huge value to me because I would be much better off just buying a drink when I want them.  Just not the approach I want to use when I take my vacations.  I tend to structure my cruises as "All Inclusive" on brands that are NOT "All Inclusive" by preplanning and purchasing everything that makes my cruise to my liking. Not everyone thinks like I do so they can structure their vacation their way.

Many have said, the rule is 6 bottles but they have taken more on board.  That is fine for them, I stick to the 6 or less bottles.  I would take no bottles if I was convinced my wife would have a wine she would like guaranteed onboard since we both the the Prestige Drink Package.  But that has been a disappointment on other cruise brands which effected the quality of our vacation.  On other brands I have heard the word, "Supply Chain" once to many times to risk it.  

I have a motto.  "Always Pre-Plan the things you can control and understand their are many things that are not controllable on a cruise ship."  I can control 6 bottles of nice wine from a local store in Athens, Greece prior to boarding a "Once In A Lifetime Cruise".  This allows me to manage my realistic expectations being a first time cruiser on Oceania Cruises.  Something tells me I don't have to buy the wine but I would rather hedge my bets.  I hope that makes sense and supports your post.

I cannot wait til you have been on your first cruise with O. 

9 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@Sthrngary

Perhaps you will do a live from.  Or a detailed, balanced, objective review upon return.

Whatever you do it will be well received.

@FetaCheese My wife LOVES your screen name by the way.  I may just do that.  I also want to play fair with my wife and best friends that are joining our little "Cruise of a Lifetime".  On another brand, I did a live blog, I ended up spending way to much time posting, answering questions, and not enough time enjoying.  That was NOT fair to those I was vacationing with. 

All that said, I will be both fair and balanced.  I will be realistic as always.  What I have done differently the past few cruises is I have NO real preconceived notions of Oceania as a brand.  All I do now is rate a cruise on my previous experience.  Example, I recently cruise with my entire family in an Owners Suite on a Mega Ship.  That was fun but a one and done situation.  My family loved it but we only did it because of all the many discounts and perks we got due to multiple cancellations due to covid.  This time I have what looks to be a very similar Stateroom to the Owners Suite with the Vista Suite.  No adult children this time, just my wife and I in the cabin.  We are traveling with friends on their first cruise.  Seems like a good plan but reality and assumptions can be much different.  We will see. 

Long answer to a short request I know.  I promise to write and play it fair.  

• Like 4

Though for me the JOY is to be able to bring on board my own BEERS, esp. those I can buy locally in ports. Try out all sorts of different ones. So my room steward sees the 2 or 3 beers I drink daily. I line them up each day. I bring the HARD LIQUOR back home. We're not much for wine. But IF I do find something local that is interesting, we'll get a bottle.

• Like 1