Cancellation Question

dmcfad2

Hoping someone can tell me the answer to this question without me having to call Holland. It’s looking like I may have to cancel an upcoming cruise. I don’t have insurance. If I cancel before September 12, the cancellation fee is 75% of the “gross fare”. My question is: “Does the gross fare include the port fees and taxes or is it just the cruise/journey fare?” Thanks in advance. 

I have the same question.  No insurance with HAL.  If I cancel after the final payment, would HAL just keep the money in my account just to use for a later booking.  Cruise is three weeks away.  Also I booked my flights with HAL.  Would the airline keep this money for me to use at a later date.

21 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

I have the same question.  No insurance with HAL.  If I cancel after the final payment, would HAL just keep the money in my account just to use for a later booking.  Cruise is three weeks away.  Also I booked my flights with HAL.  Would the airline keep this money for me to use at a later date.

You can talk to HAL and see if they will transfer the booking to another sailing - have one already picked out.  @Haljo1935 can better explain the airline process .

Certain credit cards have insurance, check to see if yours does 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

Below is HAL’s web page on cancellation.  HAL applies  the same cancellation policy to your cruise fare, air add-ons, ground transfers, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel and tour packages. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses are NOT subject to the policy.

The cancellation windows vary on where/what currency you used to book your vacation, the type of cruise you are on, and the dates of the cruise. 

If you booked in the US using US dollars I am fearful that unless you happen to be on a cruise five nights or shorter there is no remaining opportunity for a refund of any kind for a cruise in the next three weeks without having purchased cancellation protection/insurance.

You might have some cancellation protection through a credit card, if you used  one to purchase your vacation and coverage is an included benefit.

You might ask HAL for clarification and/or an exception, or if there is some other recourse. I truly wish you the best of luck.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/cancellation-policy-US-default.html

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You can talk to HAL and see if they will transfer the booking to another sailing - have one already picked out.  @Haljo1935 can better explain the airline process .

Certain credit cards have insurance, check to see if yours does 

Boy, it would be great if they would transfer funds to another cruise! Have you ever heard of that happening? I know I should just call HAL, but I’m putting it off for a few more days. 

2 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Boy, it would be great if they would transfer funds to another cruise! Have you ever heard of that happening? I know I should just call HAL, but I’m putting it off for a few more days. 

Having just read HAL's cancelation policy there is no mention of transferring a paid cruise to another later one after final payment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I have heard of it happening but usually as a mercy move if some one passed away or something but it is always worth trying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Having just read HAL's cancelation policy there is no mention of transferring a paid cruise to another later one after final payment.  

@dmcfad2 @CarolRoy Correct that transferring non-refundable monies paid is contrary to policy; however, I have done it. I've also had the request denied.

It's not something that you can do yourself online - you have to call in. You may have to escalate to a supervisor, so just know going into the call that you may be speaking to more than 1 person.

Have an itinerary selected, better is to have it on courtesy hold so that the one you want to move to has a booking number. Odds are better if the new one is not at/near capacity. 

Your request when you call is to have what you've paid moved to booking xxx (the one on courtesy hold). When it's transferred, it will likely show as non-refundable but some have reported they've seen it as refundable on the new booking.

Remember, grace and patience will serve you well. 🤫

Do not wait too long - sooner is better. Good luck - please update us as to the outcome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Let It Go said:

From my experience, cancelling  a few days prior to cruise (family passing) you are not eligible for refund or transfer.  I did not have HAL insurance but was able to claim some expenses through credit card coverage.

I looked and have a bit of coverage through my credit card, so that helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

ave an itinerary selected, better is to have it on courtesy hold so that the one you want to move to has a booking number. Odds are better if the new one is not at/near capacity. 

Your request when you call is to have what you've paid moved to booking xxx (the one on courtesy hold). When it's transferred, it will likely show as non-refundable but some have reported they've seen it as refundable on the new booking.

I wonder if this would work on a cruise I’ve already booked for 2025, but have only paid the deposit? What do you think? I know this is all speculation. I guess I should just call. LOL

1 minute ago, dmcfad2 said:

I wonder if this would work on a cruise I’ve already booked for 2025, but have only paid the deposit? What do you think? I know this is all speculation. I guess I should just call. LOL

🤣quit buying non-refundable fares!   I would definitely try.  …….

and next cruise buy a wallet full of Future Cruise deposits. 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You are correct! My fare was refundable. I won’t buy non-refundable anymore. I learned that lesson. 😜 But, I’m way past final payment, so the cancellation fees have kicked in. And, of course, I didn’t get insurance. I will be trying to get the monies transferred to a new cruise. 🤞

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

You are correct! My fare was refundable. I won’t buy non-refundable anymore. I learned that lesson. 😜 But, I’m way past final payment, so the cancellation fees have kicked in. And, of course, I didn’t get insurance. I will be trying to get the monies transferred to a new cruise. 🤞

Let us know how it goes.  I may face the same dilemma soon 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Being refundable helps, for sure. Always scary being inside final payment, much less "way past final payment." I'm not prone to ulcers, but definitely on edge during those times. Which for me is currently 3 cruises - yikes!! It's a wonder I get any sleep 💤 😴 😒 

Please update us - we're rooting for you!!

Remember when you call  - people can hear the smile in your voice 🤭

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2023 at 2:37 PM, dmcfad2 said:

On 9/3/2023 at 2:41 PM, Mary229 said:

I thought I knew most of the ins and outs of travel but am discovering I know so much less than I thought!!

How does one know a fare is non-refundable?  

I also have a cruise booked for 2025 and have only paid the deposit.  I purchased the platinum insurance.  If I cancel, do I get the deposit back or is it non-refundable?  I'm hoping that having the insurance "cancel for any reason" would mean that the deposit is refundable, but now I am wondering?  (we would cancel in order to get some credit card perks that don't work on previously booked cruises - so would rebook)

Help!  And thank you to all you knowledgable people in advance!!!

5 hours ago, glorialagos said:

I thought I knew most of the ins and outs of travel but am discovering I know so much less than I thought!!

I also have a cruise booked for 2025 and have only paid the deposit.  I purchased the platinum insurance.  If I cancel, do I get the deposit back or is it non-refundable?  I'm hoping that having the insurance "cancel for any reason" would mean that the deposit is refundable, but now I am wondering?  (we would cancel in order to get some credit card perks that don't work on previously booked cruises - so would rebook)

Help!  And thank you to all you knowledgable people in advance!!!

Your HAL invoice should include a penalty schedule and those dates include all payments including the deposit.   I cannot answer your insurance question. 

6 hours ago, glorialagos said:
6 hours ago, glorialagos said:

Gloria,

It is not always obvious that your deposit is non-refundable. With HAL and Princess, I rely on my PCC/PVP -- I was so used to their alerting me, that I inadvertantly booked a non-refundable deposit FOR FIVE PEOPLE on Carnival and the Carnival Cruise Consultant did not alert me, resulting in a loss of $1000. 

Therefore you need to ask whoever you are booking through. (I think that would work even if it was "just" a cruiseline operator on the phone -- but not if you are doing it on line!) 

As far as HAL Platinum Cancellation Protection, it should cover your deposit whether refundable or not. BUT, you will only get 90% back and nothing of what you paid for the PCP.  AND your rebooked cruise will be under whatever are the current conditions i.e. price and perks. And of course, your rebooking would not have the PCP unless you purchased it again. So do the math.

As far as ins and outs of cruising, most of us recommend and try to follow -- only booking refundable deposits, and waiting until shortly before Final Payment Date (or Penalty Date for longer cruises) to buy the Cancellation Protection (because its price is not covered). 

Also, since we're on the HAL board, I can point out that there is a fare between the Basic (non-refundable) and the Have-It-All (refundable) shown on line. It is called the Advantage Fare and is refundable but without any of the perks included with HIA. You have to call (or ask your PCC) to find out that fare.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Gloria,

It is not always obvious that your deposit is non-refundable. With HAL and Princess, I rely on my PCC/PVP -- I was so used to their alerting me, that I inadvertantly booked a non-refundable deposit FOR FIVE PEOPLE on Carnival and the Carnival Cruise Consultant did not alert me, resulting in a loss of $1000. 

Therefore you need to ask whoever you are booking through. (I think that would work even if it was "just" a cruiseline operator on the phone -- but not if you are doing it on line!) 

As far as HAL Platinum Cancellation Protection, it should cover your deposit whether refundable or not. BUT, you will only get 90% back and nothing of what you paid for the PCP.  AND your rebooked cruise will be under whatever are the current conditions i.e. price and perks. And of course, your rebooking would not have the PCP unless you purchased it again. So do the math.

As far as ins and outs of cruising, most of us recommend and try to follow -- only booking refundable deposits, and waiting until shortly before Final Payment Date (or Penalty Date for longer cruises) to buy the Cancellation Protection (because its price is not covered). 

Also, since we're on the HAL board, I can point out that there is a fare between the Basic (non-refundable) and the Have-It-All (refundable) shown on line. It is called the Advantage Fare and is refundable but without any of the perks included with HIA. You have to call (or ask your PCC) to find out that fare.

Super helpful info - thanks so much!!  You really can teach an old dog new tricks!!!  🙂