Vista Satellite internet issue

Dwtlion

Currently on Vista on a B2B. While the internet is much faster, there is an issue, I believe, no one has mentioned. The issue is that the internet satellite servers are located in Spain. As a consequence many sites you select will either not respond or say in several different ways that because you are in a foreign location, the site’s server will not respond. For example, USA Today. Another “benefit” of the Spain location is that a lot of ads are in Spanish as well as some sites you select. Some Google sites are half English and half Spanish- go figure.

Currently in Canada and the issue remains. The LYNC rep on board confirmed to me this issue. Hopefully, when we hit US waters the server may switch.

1 hour ago, Dwtlion said:

Currently in Canada and the issue remains. The LYNC rep on board confirmed to me this issue. Hopefully, when we hit US waters the server may switch.

So  you can log into CC   OK

We have yahoo mail  do you use it or have any issues getting  into the mail??

56 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Try using a VPN (like NordVPN) and set your server to the US. Clears up the issue and protects your data.

I also discovered that when anywhere near Canada, Facebook News will not work because of Canadian rules.  Even VPN connected to a Seattle server didn't solve the problem. 

Just now, LHT28 said:

So  you can log into CC   OK

We have yahoo mail  do you use it or have any issues getting  into the mail??

No issues with gmail. Incidentally the O site prices cruises in EurosEverybody is in MADRID per the server.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I also discovered that when anywhere near Canada, Facebook News will not work because of Canadian rules.  Even VPN connected to a Seattle server didn't solve the problem. 

Interesting. Never tried using internet in Canadian waters. What about a server farther south, like Los Angeles or Miami. Is Oceania not using Starlink? I sailed Azamara and Princess several times this year after Starlink installation and VPN to Miami worked fine. 

25 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Interesting. Never tried using internet in Canadian waters. What about a server farther south, like Los Angeles or Miami. Is Oceania not using Starlink? I sailed Azamara and Princess several times this year after Starlink installation and VPN to Miami worked fine. 

I was on Regatta.  I don't believe it has Starlink yet but I could be wrong.  I only tried Seattle.  Once my phone detected I was in Canadian territory it took forever for Facebook news to come back.  Even when I flew into Minneapolis I was still blocked and by that time I was on T Mobile.

32 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I was on Regatta.  I don't believe it has Starlink yet but I could be wrong.  I only tried Seattle.  Once my phone detected I was in Canadian territory it took forever for Facebook news to come back.  Even when I flew into Minneapolis I was still blocked and by that time I was on T Mobile.

I believe that the only O ship with Starlink so far is the Vista. They say that Riviera will have it by the end of the year (hopefully sooner).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dwtlion said:

LYNC REP says VPN won’t solve issue.

It's possible for a ship's firewalls to recognize and block VPN packets like they do "streaming" packets for basic internet accounts.  That may well be the case because VPNs wrap streaming packets so they don't look like streaming packets.

Otherwise, your traffic with a website is encrypted and sent to your VPN's server of your choice and looks to a website (and it's advertisers) as if it were coming from wherever that server is.

53 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

My DH  tells me  FB news is blocked  for him & we live in Canada   but he can use his FB account otherwise

34 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

It's possible for a ship's firewalls to recognize and block VPN packets like they do "streaming" packets for basic internet accounts.  That may well be the case because VPNs wrap streaming packets so they don't look like streaming packets.

This absolutely happens on certain cruise lines.

6 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

No just Wi-Fi calling. Not sure every call gets to me.  I switch back and forth to my iPad.  Have no trouble calling into voicemail

I  am cell phone challenged  so not sure what WiFi calling is

I will have to look it up

Thanks

53 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Using WhatsApp if the connection is through WiFi is the same as WiFi calling. It just means going through an internet connection rather than the cell phone network.

yes know what Whats app is 

I did look up wifi calling  seems the same oe similar

I let DH deal with it  LOL

2 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Using WhatsApp if the connection is through WiFi is the same as WiFi calling. It just means going through an internet connection rather than the cell phone network.

Yup.  ...except the other guy gets an ordinary call/text and doesn't need any app.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

yes know what Whats app is 

I did look up wifi calling  seems the same oe similar

I let DH deal with it  LOL

With WiFi calling the recipient doesn't need any app to receive either calls or texts.  They come through as a regular cell calls/texts. Whatsapp requires both caller and receiver to use the app.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

With WiFi calling the recipient doesn't need any app to receive either calls or texts.  They come through as a regular cell calls/texts. Whatsapp requires both caller and receiver to use the app.

Yep, that can be a problem. I can't call my brother on WhatsApp, but I can call my daughter. Plus, I can send her a video easily. And I was told by someone who knows about this stuff that WhatsApp has better encryption than most (although that might not be really important, it's still nice to know). But WiFi calling seem to have more impediments, for some reason. Anyway, I'm glad I was talked into getting the app even though I don't use it very much.