Just got back from Barcelona. Some thoughts.

dickinson

As the title says we just got back from our cruise ending in Barcelona.  Just wanted to mention a few things.

We stayed overnight at the Hotel Colon.  Perfect location and a nice hotel.

We used a taxi when getting off the ship to get to hotel.  At the end of the trip the driver told us how many euros.  I used my credit card on Apple Pay and asked for a receipt.  I noticed it listed both euros and also US $.  Sure enough, he charged it in US $.  I was mad but didn't have time to say anything. Not too much extra money though. On our taxi from hotel to airport we made sure to tell driver to charge in euros.

We did a walking tour with Runnerbean tours of the Gothic Quarter.  It was a good tour and I would recommend them.

I was very unsure of how much time to allow at the airport for a 6:05 am flight.  Wanted to sleep as long as possible!.  Our first flight was to Rome so inside Schengen area.  Not sure if that made a difference. We ended up getting a taxi at 3:30 am.  He drove fast and there was no traffic on a Sunday at that hour.  We were at the airport in under 20 minutes!  We saw some people sleeping on the floor inside the airport.  Our airline didn't open their ticket counter (we had to get boarding passes there because our second flight was another airline.) til 4 am so there was a a bit of a line.  Having business class seats though let us get through another line where we were the 2nd people.  We actually saw at least one restaurant open at that hour if anyone is looking for a bite to eat.

The hotel had a list of things to watch out for because it means pickpockets. Some I have not seen mentioned is to not participate in card and dice games you see on the streets.  I didn't see anything in our short time.  They also said if you are offered flowers in the street and the sellers are standing very close to you, they are trying to pickpocket you.  If someone says you have a stain on your clothing and points to your clothing, they are trying to pickpocket.  If driving a car and you stop at a traffic light if someone says you have a flat tire or car is on fire... don't get out but drive a short distance and lock the doors before making sure it is not true because they are trying to rob you.

One last thing.  There are tons of people in Barcelona!!!!

Hope this info helps someone!

• Like 10

14 hours ago, dickinson said:

As the title says we just got back from our cruise ending in Barcelona.  Just wanted to mention a few things.

We used a taxi when getting off the ship to get to hotel.  At the end of the trip the driver told us how many euros.  I used my credit card on Apple Pay and asked for a receipt.  I noticed it listed both euros and also US $.  Sure enough, he charged it in US $.  I was mad but didn't have time to say anything. Not too much extra money though. On our taxi from hotel to airport we made sure to tell driver to charge in euros.

We did a walking tour with Runnerbean tours of the Gothic Quarter.  It was a good tour and I would recommend them.

I was very unsure of how much time to allow at the airport for a 6:05 am flight.  Wanted to sleep as long as possible!.  Our first flight was to Rome so inside Schengen area.  Not sure if that made a difference. We ended up getting a taxi at 3:30 am.  He drove fast and there was no traffic on a Sunday at that hour.  We were at the airport in under 20 minutes!  We saw some people sleeping on the floor inside the airport.  Our airline didn't open their ticket counter (we had to get boarding passes there because our second flight was another airline.) til 4 am so there was a a bit of a line.  Having business class seats though let us get through another line where we were the 2nd people.  We actually saw at least one restaurant open at that hour if anyone is looking for a bite to eat.

The hotel had a list of things to watch out for because it means pickpockets. Some I have not seen mentioned is to not participate in card and dice games you see on the streets.  I didn't see anything in our short time.  They also said if you are offered flowers in the street and the sellers are standing very close to you, they are trying to pickpocket you.  If someone says you have a stain on your clothing and points to your clothing, they are trying to pickpocket.  If driving a car and you stop at a traffic light if someone says you have a flat tire or car is on fire... don't get out but drive a short distance and lock the doors before making sure it is not true because they are trying to rob you.

We will be heading to Barcelona in a few weeks. I’d heard about the pickpockets and all of the games they try to get you into. I knew to avoid those things but I hadn’t heard about the flowers or the stain. We will definitely be wary of people standing too close to us. And we planned on using taxis or Uber a lot so the tip on being sure they charge you in euros is something I’d never thought about. Thanks for the heads up. 

@cruisinqt This was our third trip to Europe.  We are careful.  I never saw pickpockets although I am sure they are there.  We had one excursion in Naples to Herculaneum.  Not as crowded and smaller than Pompeii.  Another woman and myself had similar Travelon bags with locking zippers.  The guide:  she had a big bag with the top all open.  We commented to each other how careful we are and were surprised about her bag.  Maybe she knew the area was pretty safe from them.  I know I read on here and elsewhere that people have been pickpocketed so just be careful.  I too never heard about the flowers or the stain.  That was from our hotel.

No matter where you go, anything you charge, make sure you pay in euros.  I was just totally surprised that the taxi quoted the fare in euros, I used my Apple Pay, and then asked for a receipt. I would never have known he charged it in US $ if I hadn't had the receipt.

6 hours ago, dickinson said:

@cruisinqt This was our third trip to Europe.  We are careful.  I never saw pickpockets although I am sure they are there.  We had one excursion in Naples to Herculaneum.  Not as crowded and smaller than Pompeii.  Another woman and myself had similar Travelon bags with locking zippers.  The guide:  she had a big bag with the top all open.  We commented to each other how careful we are and were surprised about her bag.  Maybe she knew the area was pretty safe from them.  I know I read on here and elsewhere that people have been pickpocketed so just be careful.  I too never heard about the flowers or the stain.  That was from our hotel.

No matter where you go, anything you charge, make sure you pay in euros.  I was just totally surprised that the taxi quoted the fare in euros, I used my Apple Pay, and then asked for a receipt. I would never have known he charged it in US $ if I hadn't had the receipt.

We just got back from a 16 day London trip and I never thought to look and see if we were charged in euros or dollars. I bet we got charged in dollars but never knew it. 
I also got a Travelon bag with locking zippers and slash proof fabric. I saw a lot of them in Europe. I think it’s a good idea if you plan on traveling abroad a lot which is what we’re doing now that we’re retired. 

• Like 1

We have been to Barcelona and are always very careful , other tricks they have for instance that somebody walks into to you with an ice cream cone in their hand and than start to clean of your shirt or pants .  Also there could be somebody hiding in a tree and they drop something onto your clothes when you are underneath the tree . Be very careful when a small group approaches you trying to sell you something also take very good care when you ride in the Metro , young girls might bump into you and at the next stop run out of the train with some of your possessions  or watch street shows in crowded spaces . We also have DW's purse slashed and her wallet was missing when we got to the hotel , since than we purchased slash proof bags  which are recommendable.  Do not set your purse on top of the table in a outdoor restaurant , it will be gone in no time .

I do not want to mention any particular groups of people here but be careful . This goes for a number of large European and South American cities .

• Like 4

On 9/13/2023 at 1:42 PM, cruisinqt said:

We just got back from a 16 day London trip and I never thought to look and see if we were charged in euros or dollars. I bet we got charged in dollars but never knew it. 
I also got a Travelon bag with locking zippers and slash proof fabric. I saw a lot of them in Europe. I think it’s a good idea if you plan on traveling abroad a lot which is what we’re doing now that we’re retired. 

In London it would have been British Pounds.  They do not use Euros in London (or the UK).

Hank

1 hour ago, jennmaybe said:

This is exactly why we bought small bags to keep under our shirts.  No big bags or pocketbooks for us.  Absolutely nothing will be in our pockets.

Money belts under your clothes work! We’ve seen many discarded bags, many who lost passports and even a loss of 22 k gold necklace when nice young women helped clean bird  droppings.  

Scams change so beware, our hotel in Barcelona had a list of current ones.

• Like 1

About Barcelona,

There are a lot of pickpockets in citycentre but... they are just pickpockets.

This is. May you have controlled all belongings, they will not do you anything. They will not act with violence but just... trying to get your money or mobile.

Be awared. Get your mobile somewhere they cannot catch it and so on... and they will focus in another person

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

With Runnerbean, was it the free tour and did you and/or others give an amount at the end?  Just trying to get an estimate.

Yes, it was the free tour.  We read on Rick Steves to tip 10-20 Euros /person for free tours so that is what we did although definitely did more than the 10!  It was 2.5 hours long of the Gothic Quarter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 7:05 AM, dickinson said:

How much was the taxi from pier to hotel and hotel to airport?  We booked the same hotel for a futuro cruise.  So great to hear it was a good hotel

1 hour ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

How much was the taxi from pier to hotel and hotel to airport?  We booked the same hotel for a futuro cruise.  So great to hear it was a good hotel

From port to hotel I was quoted in euros (don't remember how many but about 32) but he charged me in $ without asking me so I paid $37.27.  From hotel to a/p at 3:30 am with no traffic (about 20 minutes.  I think he drove fast)it was 43.45 Euros.

I used Apple Pay for all rides and anything I charged.  Never used it before and it worked great!

On 10/3/2023 at 3:26 AM, dickinson said:

From port to hotel I was quoted in euros (don't remember how many but about 32) but he charged me in $ without asking me so I paid $37.27.  From hotel to a/p at 3:30 am with no traffic (about 20 minutes.  I think he drove fast)it was 43.45 Euros.

I used Apple Pay for all rides and anything I charged.  Never used it before and it worked great!

On 10/3/2023 at 1:55 AM, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Hello

I have made a simulation taking into account the distance from terminal C of the port to terminal 2 of the airport.
It costs me 31 euros on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and 35.5 euros after 8:00 p.m. or on weekends

The calculation is this:
Fixed rate: 2.55 euros
cost per kilometer: 1.23 euros/km (weekdays until 8:00 p.m.) or 1.55 euros/km (from 8:00 p.m. and weekends)
Departure or arrival supplement at the airport: 4.50 euros
Supplement for departure or arrival at the port: 4.50 euros

To this we must add "waiting time" (if the taxi is stopped at a traffic light or somewhere there is an automatic additional cost)
Therefore: 2.55 + 1.23*15.80 + 4.5 + 4.50 = 30.98 euros

If they charged you 32 euros it is because I would stop at a traffic light and there would be a little traffic, but I see the amount as correct.

If someone wants to calculate for other places (to go to a hotel or somewhere to visit in Barcelona) the calculation is the same.
Supplements:
Airport departure or arrival: 4.5 euros
Departure or arrival port: 4.5 euros
Departure station: 2.5 euros

If you do station >> port, the supplements will be 2.5+4.5
If you go to port >> station, only 4.5 extra

If you choose any destination, calculate the distance on Google Maps and you can approximate the price.

The taxi driver may ask you if you want the shortest or cheapest route. That is, with some highway that makes a detour you will arrive sooner but if there are more kilometers it will cost you more.
You can choose what you prefer and it should take you wherever you ask.

On 9/12/2023 at 6:05 AM, dickinson said:

I have a question about the taxis and credit cards. Do they have card readers in the cab? I don't have apple pay so I would have to use a traditional credit card for payment. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, larry_s_taco said:

I have a question about the taxis and credit cards. Do they have card readers in the cab? I don't have apple pay so I would have to use a traditional credit card for payment. 

Thanks

Yes, they are supposed to.  To use Apple Pay you use a card reader too.

12 hours ago, larry_s_taco said:

Thanks

Hi,

I just come to post an offiicial web in another thread (just surf on these threads, you have official taxi fares and some other details)

But they must accept credit cards

Hint, in Spain it is more common Android (therefore Google Pay) than Apple (Apple pay) but for a taxi it doesn't matter