Premier or Plus Package Tax Inquiry

gkthorn

This may seem like a strange question/s, but I'm going to ask. If we purchase either of the two packages which are $60 or $80 a day, do they STILL add tax on to that amount, or does it depend upon what area (country/location) you are in when getting something to drink, as an example.  Also if I get the drink MYSELF, and no one brings it to me, do I still need to tip??

1 minute ago, beshears said:

This may seem like a strange question/s, but I'm going to ask. If we purchase either of the two packages which are $60 or $80 a day, do they STILL add tax on to that amount, or does it depend upon what area (country/location) you are in when getting something to drink, as an example.  Also if I get the drink MYSELF, and no one brings it to me, do I still need to tip??

There is no tax on the plus or premier fare.

The plus and premier fares include the 18% beverage service charge. No further service charge is added per drink. If you wish you can, of course, provide extra gratuities to the beverage server. That is totally up to you. Personally I never walk around the ship with cash on me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beshears said:

No additional charges on either package. Tipping is all on you. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, beshears said:

If you getting the Premier or Plus BP your gratuity is already added. 

28 minutes ago, doghog said:

No additional charges on either package. Tipping is all on you. 

You really never get a drink for yourself. Whether you get the drink from the bartender while you sit at the bar or get it from a waiter it really makes no difference 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You really never get a drink for yourself. Whether you get the drink from the bartender while you sit at the bar or get it from a waiter it really makes no difference 

Thanks for the laugh and useless info. No kidding! What no self service.  😂 Tell that to @beshears who probably also knows that! 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, doghog said:

If you say so. Way above my paygrade.  All I know is when I sign the receipt (with RC) for our dinks the receipt does not list tax. Two line items. The cost of the drink and gratuity. Haven't signed one in years with Celebrity as we get the BPs. That's why I negatively commented about the tax with Princess. So with Princess your drink receipt will have three line items on it? Drink cost, gratuity and tax. Doesn't matter as we have the BPs for our future Princess cruise. 

I've read on CC the tax is applied when embarking from Galveston. At least with RC. So three line items on the drink receipt. 

Even with a beverage package, there is an adder for tax where charged. You don’t sign anything with Princess. At least I never have. You will see it in your folio if you look. 

others may not specifically charge the tax, but they do remit it. But that’s like the furniture store that advertises “tax holiday” pricing. The tax is built into their prices. 

13 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Even with a beverage package, there is an adder for tax where charged. You don’t sign anything with Princess. At least I never have. You will see it in your folio if you look. 

others may not specifically charge the tax, but they do remit it. But that’s like the furniture store that advertises “tax holiday” pricing. The tax is built into their prices. 

Provide your source for 

Folio, where would I see it? On board, invoice? Pre cruise. Not seeing anything that indicates additional tax at specific ports. I see nothing in the itemized breakdown of our BPs that says, taxes.

Built in but not in addition to the BP price. 

1 minute ago, doghog said:

Provide your source for 

Folio, where would I see it? On board, invoice? Pre cruise. Not seeing anything that indicates additional tax at specific ports. I see nothing in the itemized breakdown of our BPs that says, taxes.

It can be accessed via the app while on board. They email me a copy prior to disembarkation. 

9 minutes ago, doghog said:

Provide your source for 

It can be accessed via the app while on board. They email me a copy prior to disembarkation. I had Princess Plus. The bar charges are from buying wine at Vines with a price greater than $15. 

IMG_3725.jpeg

Edited by BamaVol
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

It can be accessed via the app while on board. They email me a copy prior to disembarkation. I had Princess Plus. The bar charges are from buying wine at Vines with a price greater than $15. 

IMG_3725.jpeg

Did you have one of the BPs or is this for buying your drinks? That's what it looks like that you didn't have the BP.  My original comment was about buying a drink on the ship in Florida and being taxed, not Alaska. 

Edited by doghog

13 minutes ago, beshears said:

Memoak and Doghog I'm glad you got a 🙂 at my question, but that is how I LEARN by asking questions!! When I said "no one gave me the drink," I DID mean self service!

You have some place you can make yourself a cocktail or beer ?

29 minutes ago, beshears said:

Memoak and Doghog I'm glad you got a 🙂 at my question, but that is how I LEARN by asking questions!! When I said "no one gave me the drink," I DID mean self service!

We all do.  I've been a CC member since 2001 and there are a few posters that offer some excellent info. No matter the forum or subject. 

12 hours ago, doghog said:

Did you have one of the BPs or is this for buying your drinks? That's what it looks like that you didn't have the BP.  My original comment was about buying a drink on the ship in Florida and being taxed, not Alaska. 

Yes, my Princess Plus included up to 15 drinks a day. As I explained, the drink charges on my folio were glasses of wine that exceeded the $15 limit. I paid the difference in price, plus a service charge, plus tax in one location. My Alaska cruise did not port in Florida. I don’t recall paying a tax in Ft Lauderdale on a previous cruise. I’m not sure I still have that folio from March. I provided Juneau as an example that it does happen. 

27 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

My Alaska cruise did not port in Florida.

I don’t recall paying a tax in Ft Lauderdale on a previous cruise. I’m not sure I still have that folio from March. 

Now that is funny. 

That's what I've been saying along. 

No biggie. Time to tap out as this thread may just drive me to drinking and paying more taxes. 😁

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Now that is funny. 

That's what I've been saying along. 

No biggie. Time to tap out as this thread may just drive me to drinking and paying more taxes. 😁

I looked at my March folio. No Ft Lauderdale taxes were charged. That could mean one of several things.  I may not have had a drink while in port, but that’s unlikely. They may mot have recorded it until we left port. They may not have been charging taxes in March. There may have been no FTL tax in March. Who knows? 

• Thanks 1