Do you tip for room service and/or porters that take your luggage?

lisa6191

I admit to being surprised to find that some people want to dine at TK every evening - for me on a two week cruise not enough choice.  I think the complaint a while ago referred to a couple not  known to regular passengers  and probably thought to be newbies, who had the same good table at a time when the grill is normally full each evening, when others could not get one?  At least those of us who disapprove of bribes are giving LMB a bit of fun reading our posts.

So it seems that going to the TK bar at 6, or like Mr. L probably waiting until after 8, when the early birds have left, is the best way to  get a table.  Not ideal for those who like to eat at 7.30,  but at least you have a nice bar to wait in.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

So it seems that going to the TK bar at 6, or like Mr. L probably waiting until after 8, when the early birds have left, is the best way to  get a table.  Not ideal for those who like to eat at 7.30,  but at least you have a nice bar to wait in.

Indeed.

You do limit yourself if you eat at 19.30 like so many others in all of the dining venues.

TK bar on Encore and Ovation is my favourite place for a pre dinner drink.

The Observation bar on Odyssey,Sojourn and Quest and The Club on Venture and Pursuit as they have the wonderful Sushi option for a pre dinner stomach liner.

26 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Mr. L - I don't know how you manage not to have any breakfast or lunch, and then latish dinner.  I would be passing out from hunger - if not from alcohol consumed by then.

It's practice although I had a lunch at The Splendido in Portofino yesterday.

Piccies on another board.

I drink lots of still water during the day and go to the gym and always have a sauna on a ship before a shave,then I'm ready for anything.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Your Portofino lunch and the setting looked gorgeous.

It's possibly the best hotel and location ever.

It's a magical place

Reids in Madeira is my second best.

Both Belmond properties 

Edited by Mr Luxury

Our first visits to Reids and the Splendido were in 1968.

Reids has changed immensely -  When we first visited Reids inorder to dine in the main dining room in the evening the dress code for men was black tie-- or dark suit. My husband was refused entry because he wore a tan suit-- they sent us to the grill instead.  The hotel has been renovated quite a few times since our first stay--and although a great hotel it seems to have lost something for us old timers.

22 minutes ago, Utopia1 said:

Our first visits to Reids and the Splendido were in 1968.

Reids has changed immensely -  When we first visited Reids inorder to dine in the main dining room in the evening the dress code for men was black tie-- or dark suit. My husband was refused entry because he wore a tan suit-- they sent us to the grill instead.  The hotel has been renovated quite a few times since our first stay--and although a great hotel it seems to have lost something for us old timers.

Don't give up hope.

It's doing well and has an excellent manager.

Some great staff also that have been around a long time.

We dress for dinner and yes although they have a more relaxed dress code than 1968 it is still pretty good especially at Christmas and New year where I will be.

In this particular case it is a good thing - otherwise I admit I like to find a  chat/watercooler type thread to put my rubbish on, and read amusing stuff from everyone else.  Anything except politics and being  really insulting to people allowed.  

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 6:12 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Definitely tip the porters, it gives our luggage a better chance of making it to the ship!

A better chance? Is it supposed to be a chance to begin with?  If luggage deliberately “lost”, that’s not called a delivery; it’s called something else.

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I agree,

Go on the Crystal board and do it and you get shouted at.😁

No other cruise line exists.🫣

Especially from cheerleader #1 (still want to see him in his cheerleader outfit and pompoms ...)  who must have nothing else to do all day but write 4000+ word responses on CC on how WONDERFUL Crystal new and old is/was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, kirtihk said:

A better chance? Is it supposed to be a chance to begin with?  If luggage deliberately “lost”, that’s not called a delivery; it’s called something else.

True, but as FedEx told me when a package I was expecting was “ lost”. “ It’s not lost, simply misplaced somewhere “  I eventually got it though. I give them a tip,same as at the airport.  BTW, the porters in NYC are actually longshoremen 

• 2 weeks later...

Mr L-

just noodling around on the seaboard forum). I’ve learned that there’s much to be going on threads not terribly relevant to one’s own trip.

I too consume nothing but liquids (iced tea in my case) until about 10 PM. Or at least I do the 11 or so months to year that I am not on a cruise ship.  Just got off of Virgin Voyages four day cruise good managed to eat a solid three meals a day (by the way, the ambience gave me a headache but some of the food was truly spectacular which is why we went). Lost about 35 pounds since moving to California from New York 20 months ago. Allowed myself to gain back five. Now hoping to lose back 10 so I can do what I want in our segment of the world cruises coming up. But for the past five years or so, pretty much unless we are with others, I don’t eat solid food until late night. Interesting to find a fellow nocturnavore.