Room availability question.

D_And_K_gocruising

I've read some posts, many older, some newish, but could not figure out an exact answer.. 

I've seen posts that say when all rooms are ready it is announced and then I have read that it was done deck by deck..   Which is right or are neither right and it could be either?   Not worried about times, just how they do it.  

73 days or so til we're on our first cruise!!!!   Escape here we come!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I have been on many NCL cruises, and have never experienced them to announce cabins ready "deck by deck" - it has always been the entire ship announced "ready" at the same time. 

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

When I cruised in March the rooms WERE ready "deck by deck".  Usually not one at a time but a batch of them...

We have not experienced the "deck by deck" scenario, but given NCL's consistent inconsistency, I would not be surprised to experience it on our next cruise.

• Haha 2

All of our cruises this year (3) have offered cabin access by deck, and not in consecutive order.  Decks with larger cabins and suits take longer than studios and insides. And sometimes they will announce your deck and your cabin is still being cleaned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I've seen posts that say when all rooms are ready it is announced and then I have read that it was done deck by deck..   Which is right or are neither right and it could be either?   Not worried about times, just how they do it.  

First, just a question... why does it matter?

We cruise 4-6 times a year and it is almost always the whole ship is released at the same time. Releasing by floors just causes confusion and unnecessary traffic in areas that are not ready. When you hear a deck-by-deck call, that means some poor room steward fell behind and is being "pounded on" by all levels of management up through the General Manager. It means someone failed. And will likely be punished for it. You never want to hear that. 

It is not a discrepancy or inconsistency, it is a tragedy for the crew. 

We were on a cruise a week ago and talked to some of the Room Stewards, specific about turnaround day. They said it is hard, backbreaking, thankless (their words) work. It is made much much harder when thoughtless entitled passengers (my words) stay in their cabins long after "check-out" time preventing the stewards from filling he halls with turnover stuff. 

On a normal day, the stewards said it takes upwards of 8 hours to service their 30 rooms (nearly double from before) - make beds, empty trash, clean bathrooms. On turnaround day, they need to strip and totally reset the same 30 rooms in less than 6 hours. And after killing themselves turning over 30 cabins, they then need to go haul hundreds of pieces of luggage and deliver them to rooms for another 4 hours. Room Stewards say that they are so tired and sore the day after turnaround that they dread going to work. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Because I was curious and wasnt sure how it actually worked.  Never been on a cruise, only have hotels to go by and normally that's been places where they text you when your room is ready (disney many times, not cruise lines, just plain disney).  I get that they are trying to turn over upwards of 5k people over how ever many rooms, but do like to know what's up / how things work.   So I guess to answer your question.. It doesnt matter, other than knowledge.. and as I've seen, still dont have a definite answer.   Maybe you missed the part of "dont matter what times, just how they do it"  So, thanks for your long speech that really had nothing to do with my question!  A simple "it could be either way" would have worked just as well..  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Because I was curious and wasnt sure how it actually worked.  Never been on a cruise, only have hotels to go by and normally that's been places where they text you when your room is ready (disney many times, not cruise lines, just plain disney).  I get that they are trying to turn over upwards of 5k people over how ever many rooms, but do like to know what's up / how things work.   So I guess to answer your question.. It doesnt matter, other than knowledge.. and as I've seen, still dont have a definite answer.   Maybe you missed the part of "dont matter what times, just how they do it"  So, thanks for your long speech that really had nothing to do with my question!  A simple "it could be either way" would have worked just as well..  

Have a wonderful cruise. For a peak at the Escape, ship's photos from a few months ago are on my live post below

18 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

A simple "it could be either way" would have worked just as well..  

Bird does have a tendency to use a little poetic license in their posts:

"pounded on" 

likely be punished

tragedy for the crew, etc.

But it's all good information. For an admitted newbie, you should learn about this stuff.

31 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Never been on a cruise

How awesome for you!  Cruises are amazing.  And, IMO, I like knowing what to anticipate.  @BirdTravels has been traveling for quite some time.  His/her comments can usually be incredibly helpful…but sometimes off-handed.  Generally, once you board, get the “lay of the ship”…grab lunch (I recommend the main dining room they have open)…and about the time you’re finished the cabins are ready.  Recently, there is a place you can store carry on luggage if needed upon boarding.  Honestly…when the cabins are ready is random but not an issue.  Happy cruising 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We cruise 4-6 times a year and it is almost always the whole ship is released at the same time. Releasing by floors just causes confusion and unnecessary traffic in areas that are not ready. When you hear a deck-by-deck call, that means some poor room steward fell behind and is being "pounded on" by all levels of management up through the General Manager. It means someone failed. And will likely be punished for it. You never want to hear that. 

It is not a discrepancy or inconsistency, it is a tragedy for the crew. 

We were on a cruise a week ago and talked to some of the Room Stewards, specific about turnaround day. They said it is hard, backbreaking, thankless (their words) work. It is made much much harder when thoughtless entitled passengers (my words) stay in their cabins long after "check-out" time preventing the stewards from filling he halls with turnover stuff. 

On a normal day, the stewards said it takes upwards of 8 hours to service their 30 rooms (nearly double from before) - make beds, empty trash, clean bathrooms. On turnaround day, they need to strip and totally reset the same 30 rooms in less than 6 hours. And after killing themselves turning over 30 cabins, they then need to go haul hundreds of pieces of luggage and deliver them to rooms for another 4 hours. Room Stewards say that they are so tired and sore the day after turnaround that they dread going to work. 

Well that was just thoroughly depressing and makes me question the decision to cruise with a company who treats their employees so badly. If this is standard practice in the industry now… I won’t be eager to contribute to it in the future. Wow. 

46 minutes ago, durberville said:

Well that was just thoroughly depressing and makes me question the decision to cruise with a company who treats their employees so badly. If this is standard practice in the industry now… I won’t be eager to contribute to it in the future. Wow. 

Of course, you could try the land-based, all- inclusive resorts that are far more expensive, and their crew work just as hard and rely on selling illegal drugs to the guests. If that works for you, go for it. One less person on my ship. 😄

7 hours ago, durberville said:

I'm just off the Jewel a couple days ago.  Room steward did not have 30 rooms, he had 21.  He did a great job, always chill, would always approach me to say hello when I was coming from the opposite direction.  The sweetest guy.  Didn't appear to be "killing himself".  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Of course, you could try the land-based, all- inclusive resorts that are far more expensive, and their crew work just as hard and rely on selling illegal drugs to the guests. If that works for you, go for it. One less person on my ship. 😄

🙂. I’ve cruised frequently throughout the last 40 years or so. I’ve always been impressed with personable, efficient stewards. 30 rooms is a shockingly high number for one person to handle and I find that concerning because it certainly hasn’t been my experience in the past…

I also enjoy all-inclusives, and your flippant statement regarding those employees is just…bizarre. 🙄

• Like 1

Another data point - in March on Joy rooms were available by deck. I don't have the faintest memory of my Dec/Jan cruise, or previous Getaway cruises. I'll try to remember to pay attention in November on Pr1ma. 

You're in for a really great time! Cruises are wonderful. Some of the people are sketch as all get out (like me), but most cruisers are kind and talkative. My husband and I started cruising in April, 2022. We've gone on four with another booked for November. We were already looking at one last night to book (didn't do it though). 

Have fun @D_And_K_gocruising! Read through some Cruise Critic posts, but don't take any of us seriously. For your sanity. 🤡

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Do tell.

Oh my...story time, because you know, it's me...I'm in the process of changing jobs (if the new company wants me - totally not sure why they would), so we may have some time between my upcoming great southwestern desert adventure and our Pr1ma cruise in November. If I'm not employed I can do what I want right? Forget that PTO request thing!! 

We just randomly thought hey let's look at MSC. Maybe it's @JIMESOPUS's fault for "kicking the tires." Anyway there is a lovely 11 night cruise out of NYC that hits the Bahamas, Ocean Cay, and somewhere else that would fit perfectly after my notice period/pre-start time. We actually were looking at a Deluxe Balcony room, rather than MSC Yacht Club.

I kind of want to take a couple week road trip out west (job's in WY) if I do get/accept the new job, so that's what is keeping us from booking. So, we were all the way at the payment page and just backed out before entering the credit card info....still, there will be further conversation when my husband's back at home this weekend. I'm hoping I have a little bit more idea on the new gig too - I have a feeling it won't be a "boring" job either.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my...story time, because you know, it's me...I'm in the process of changing jobs (if the new company wants me - totally not sure why they would), so we may have some time between my upcoming great southwestern desert adventure and our Pr1ma cruise in November. If I'm not employed I can do what I want right? Forget that PTO request thing!! 

We just randomly thought hey let's look at MSC. Maybe it's @JIMESOPUS's fault for "kicking the tires." Anyway there is a lovely 11 night cruise out of NYC that hits the Bahamas, Ocean Cay, and somewhere else that would fit perfectly after my notice period/pre-start time. We actually were looking at a Deluxe Balcony room, rather than MSC Yacht Club.

I kind of want to take a couple week road trip out west (job's in WY) if I do get/accept the new job, so that's what is keeping us from booking. So, we were all the way at the payment page and just backed out before entering the credit card info....still, there will be further conversation when my husband's back at home this weekend. I'm hoping I have a little bit more idea on the new gig too - I have a feeling it won't be a "boring" job either.

Oh wow…that’s big.  Moving is fun…but soooo much work.  I assume your husband would have to find new employment, too.

MSC offers a good cruise experience.  I am assuming your deluxe balcony would be Aurea which includes anytime dining.  If it doesn’t have a dedicated restaurant, I don’t think you would like being outside YC.

Best wishes for the right conclusion to this job opportunity!!

p.s. it just dawned on me…you would be no where near a cruise port🤨

Edited by laudergayle

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Oh wow…that’s big.  Moving is fun…but soooo much work.  I assume your husband would have to find new employment, too.

MSC offers a good cruise experience.  I am assuming your deluxe balcony would be Aurea which includes anytime dining.  If it doesn’t have a dedicated restaurant, I don’t think you would like being outside YC.

Best wishes for the right conclusion to this job opportunity!!

p.s. it just dawned on me…you would be no where near a cruise port🤨

We know all about it, but at least we'll be keeping the house in NY, so not worrying about a 26 foot UHaul with trailer. I've moved too much in my life, including to/from WY/MT and NY before. Both ways. A couple times..just can't stay still. 

I think it would be Aurea - I knew that was the only way for anytime dining which is definitely what we want. Pretty sure we would get the unlimited dining as well, so we could change it up if the MDR menu doesn't look so great.

No cruise port, but I would live inside a national park again...and we'll just have to rely on NCL BOGO Air a lot more. Scary, eh? BTW, next time I'm visiting my aunt in Newnan, I'm going to stop in Atlanta to say hi. Whether you want me to or not. I'll just stick my head out the window of the car and screech for laudergayle!!