Excursion Tipping in Japan

sabrefan

Booked on the Explorer in April 2024 for Tokyo to Tokyo cruise. I have been to Japan previously on business trips. I know that tipping in restaurants in Japan is not acceptable. Therefore, I am wondering if tipping excursion guides is acceptable and or customary?

An excerpt from the attached article

"Tipping Private Guides and Interpreters

Unlike guides in many other countries, private guides in Japan are paid quite well and generally do not depend on tips for their livelihood. However, even though in the past tipping was rarer, in recent years (thanks to Japan’s emergence as a popular destination, and the accompanying influx of tourists from around the world) it has become more common for travelers to tip guides.

Tipping is not required or necessarily expected, but if you feel inspired to tip your guide it will likely be appreciated and accepted. Because there is not much of a tipping culture in Japan, how much to tip is a matter of some debate. Our recommendation is to tip from the gut: if it feels right to you, it probably is. It’s hard to go wrong, since tips aren’t really expected in the first place!"

https://boutiquejapan.com/tipping-in-japan/

• Like 1

I tip generously at home, but when we travel I try to respect local customs and cultures and not impose American ways on others. 
In Japan, a slight bow and a heartfelt “Arigato” feels appropriate. 

I believe we have gone way overboard with this tipping thing in the US. 
Just MHO. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, labonnevie said:

I tip generously at home, but when we travel I try to respect local customs and cultures and not impose American ways on others. 

Just MHO. 

I so agree with your comments. We do tip in the UK  (10% in a restaurant, a drink for yourself if buying a big round in the pub, round up the taxi fare etc) but it used to be nothing in comparison to the expectations in the US.

I am sad to say there has been an insidious creep  - if people flash tips around even for poor service, then there is an expectation from the person providing that poor service that they will still receive a tip  (our taxi driver at Heathrow airport had  suggestions of 10, 15 and 20% tip on his card reader he got nothing as we put our own bags in the boot and had to get them out again!) 

And it now appears reading @RetiredandTravel post above, even in Japan where tipping used to be regarded as an insult it is creeping it's way in.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Just MHO. 

Thank you for this insightful and intelligent contribution. It's exactly how I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, Techno123 said:

I so agree with your comments. We do tip in the UK  (10% in a restaurant, a drink for yourself if buying a big round in the pub, round up the taxi fare etc) but it used to be nothing in comparison to the expectations in the US.

I am sad to say there has been an insidious creep  - if people flash tips around even for poor service, then there is an expectation from the person providing that poor service that they will still receive a tip  (our taxi driver at Heathrow airport had  suggestions of 10, 15 and 20% tip on his card reader he got nothing as we put our own bags in the boot and had to get them out again!) 

And it now appears reading @RetiredandTravel post above, even in Japan where tipping used to be regarded as an insult it is creeping it's way in.

OMG yes I am hearing you! We are planning a trip to Japan and we went before in 2018 briefly and tips very definitely not expected.

We went to Scotland and spent a week in Edinburgh and were pretty shocked that tips were added "US style" onto the electronic bill! This was not the case outside of the city.

In Australia, the staff are paid a proper wage too, and if you get good service say for taxi/uber or restaurant you can leave extra as a tip, but it is NOT put on the bill.

7 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

OMG yes I am hearing you! We are planning a trip to Japan and we went before in 2018 briefly and tips very definitely not expected.

We went to Scotland and spent a week in Edinburgh and were pretty shocked that tips were added "US style" onto the electronic bill! This was not the case outside of the city.

In Australia, the staff are paid a proper wage too, and if you get good service say for taxi/uber or restaurant you can leave extra as a tip, but it is NOT put on the bill.

Most people in the UK would have tipped in the past in a restaurant, leaving some extra cash or adding a tip on the credit card machine before keying in their PIN.  But we now have contactless cards being used for a huge proportion of payments, and there is no opportunity at the point of payment to add a tip.  You tap and the bill amount entered is charged. That's it done.

This has led to restaurants adding a suggested amount to the bill.  Although it's not a specific move to US-style tipping, more a reaction to changing technology driving different behaviour, it does create a creeping sense of an obligation to tip the suggested amount.

• Like 1