CC Shortcuts for Dear Wife, Dear Son, etc.

USN59-79

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I actually saw these used long before I was reading CC on a Disney forum probably 20 years ago. I just thought it was a thing on forums. Doesn’t bother me.

Also where I first saw them 

Now, on your iPhone, you can set it up if you type DW it types my wife.  You can set up DS to type my dear sister.   It definitely isn’t anything I feel compelled to do….I’ll just type the husband if I want to mention him.  But, it’s there for the folks who want it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

D stands for designated not dear...

I was sure it said “dear” when the original listing was there.  My memory is probably failing.

Nevertheless, it means dear to me when I use it.

I never used the acronyms until I came on CC and saw that people were using them.  So, I followed suit.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Nice to know that I am not the only one who struggles with this.  I can usually figure it out from the context.  However, today a person mentioned losing their SO and I don't have a clue of what she meant.  Thought it could have been a typo, but later someone offered their condolences, so someone knew what it meant.

Ray

Ray, I was the one who used SO in my condolence.  That is one I've used to refer to our younger dear daughter's partner, who we consider a son-in-law even though they are not married.

9 hours ago, ski ww said:

I also dislike acronyms, why are people too lazy to write it out in full, is our life that busy?? 

There are times it is not an matter of being lazy, but in order to help keep some posts from being too long, as in the case of multi-quoting.  I used them more on one thread than others, and when referring to family members who are not part of CC since I feel it's up to them if there name is used on a public forum.

3 hours ago, vswan said:

I know I'm getting old when I see a string of letters and have to google them to figure out what someone is trying to say.

I think we've all had to look some of these acronyms up at times.

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I was sure it said “dear” when the original listing was there.  My memory is probably failing.

Nevertheless, it means dear to me when I use it.

I never used the acronyms until I came on CC and saw that people were using them.  So, I followed suit.

When I first saw DW or DH, etc. and looked it up, it meant.  It's ironic that I use the acronyms on CC but not in texting.  My phone usually suggests the work when I start typing, which makes it easy to just put into the text.

I've really enjoyed all the viewpoints on this thread. I can see using all the abbreviations when sending text messages or certain apps that limit space. As others have said, however, even through some may assume that everyone interprets abbreviations the same, that's not always the case for those of us that don't use them as often. IMHO 🙂 

• Thanks 1