Transatlantic - which direction ?

Mr Luxury

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

West for those wonderful 25 hour days. And get a cabin on the port side so you get the sun.

I thought the longer days might get the vote.

I'm OK with either but eager to get a feel.

QG port side if I can get one.

They do sell out fast.

Do suites become available in time if people have to cancel?

If you can get QG, the PG cabins on QM2 are pretty nice.

Sometimes people have to cancel, but you can’t rely on a particular grade becoming available. Avoid Q3s, which have no balconies, and, worse still, an awful lot of wind noise, if you are going west, I imagine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

If you can get QG, the PG cabins on QM2 are pretty nice.

Sometimes people have to cancel, but you can’t rely on a particular grade becoming available. Avoid Q3s, which have no balconies, and, worse still, an awful lot of wind noise, if you are going west, I imagine.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm still flexible for East or West

I’ve crossed in both directions and I had no jet lag either way. You do need to manage your way around eastbound mid-day clock changes though. 
In either case, the week goes by so quickly and you’ll enjoy the journey. 
And yes, the PG level of accommodations are worth the premium. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’ve crossed in both directions and I had no jet lag either way. You do need to manage your way around eastbound mid-day clock changes though. 
In either case, the week goes by so quickly and you’ll enjoy the journey. 
And yes, the PG level of accommodations are worth the premium. 

I find the mid-day change difficult. I'll go to lunch, and suddenly, it's an extra hour later and I've missed a talk or some other scheduled thing I wanted to go to.

Ideally, I would sail both ways, but I want a gap between crossings to spend some time in England. If I can do only one TA, I want westbound, because that's going home.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I find the mid-day change difficult. I'll go to lunch, and suddenly, it's an extra hour later and I've missed a talk or some other scheduled thing I wanted to go to.

Ideally, I would sail both ways, but I want a gap between crossings to spend some time in England. If I can do only one TA, I want westbound, because that's going home.

Agreed. To answer OP original question, NYC bound is better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

Agreed. To answer OP original question, NYC bound is better. 

We never suffered from jet lag flying west to NYC or LA/SF but flying home after a few weeks away, dreadful, so if you are UK based and want to hit the ground running on your return, UK bound is best. If unaffected by jet lag or if being wiped out isn't an issue, then either way will be fine.

• Like 1

Have done westbound twice and eastbound once. Must admit the flight to NY in the morning was much nicer than the overnight ones from NY going home. Made worse by having 4 nights in new york after crossing so was well and truly on NY time. Flights are early evening but they then go onto england time which is 5 hrs ahead. Land about 6am but only 1am in new york so couldn.t sleep. Absolutely knackered when we got home.🤣

• Like 1