Alaska port or starboard

Bedruthen

We have booked the 11 day Alaska cruise going next May ex San Francisco.  I read that the best side for the glacier would be port. But looking more closely at the sailing, the ship goes North via the Inside passage and returns in the open sea. Should I change to starboard? Never sailed Alaska before and unlikely to do so again so trying to get the best experience.  We booked direct so will Princess allow a change of cabin number if it’s the same grade ?

Generally while you are at the glacier for scenic viewing the ship will turn completely around so all sides get an equal viewing opportunity. In general, on our trips from San Francisco, Seattle or Vancouver to Alaska we have opted for the starboard side as it is the closer to land side most of the time which we prefer, but regardless you will get great views from either side and good opportunities for wildlife viewing. We just find starboard provides a bit more scenic viewing in our experience.

• Like 1

It honestly makes very little difference.

Choose a cabin, port or starboard, based on its location within the ship that suits your preferences. For example, choose mid-ship lower deck if you or your party are susceptible to motion. Choose location based on proximity to the ship's amenities over port or starboard. 

Don't sacrifice these considerations for a port versus starboard choice. Once the ship leaves port, what views there are of the land are pretty equal from either side.

If you really can't decide port versus starboard, then go aft. 

• Like 1

If it were us and our budget could afford it, we would book an aft-facing cabin so we can see on both sides of the ship as well as out the back. Remember, the folks in the aft are the last ones to see the glaciers as well as the ports when the ship is leaving. Also, it's less windy back there when the ship is moving.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

It honestly makes very little difference.

Choose a cabin, port or starboard, based on its location within the ship that suits your preferences. For example, choose mid-ship lower deck if you or your party are susceptible to motion. Choose location based on proximity to the ship's amenities over port or starboard. 

Don't sacrifice these considerations for a port versus starboard choice. Once the ship leaves port, what views there are of the land are pretty equal from either side.

If you really can't decide port versus starboard, then go aft. 

The best Alaska cabin we ever had was on the Royal - it was one of the forward cabins on the Lido deck. Huge balcony and we could see everything on both sides. Thankfully once we were in the inside passage we experienced very little wind even when moving between ports. I would totally book that again - and we are thinking about an aft for upcoming cruises as well. Everyone seems to love them and your point about seeing both sides is a good one. We loved that wide open view when we had our forward facing cabin.

The nice thing about the forward facing cabin is that pricing is pretty good since they are considered obstructed view.

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

The best Alaska cabin we ever had was on the Royal - it was one of the forward cabins on the Lido deck

L107 or similar, possibly M deck. I've had the pleasure. An absolute wonderful cabin. Categorized as a mini-suite, these cabins outclass a full suite in my opinion. Excellent cabins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

L107 or similar, possibly M deck. I've had the pleasure. An absolute wonderful cabin. Categorized as a mini-suite, these cabins outclass a full suite in my opinion. Excellent cabins.

Yes, it looks amazing. We had L102 and L104 side by side, with our kids traveling with us in the other cabin. We were able to open up the balconies and it was amazing having those two large spaces side by side. All of those forward cabins on L and M are great options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

We booked direct so will Princess allow a change of cabin number if it’s the same grade ?

I just noticed that no one has answered this question. You can call Princess and change to any other available cabin in the same category with no change in price or perks.

• Like 2

When I went to Alaska I stood on the top deck and went from side to side, which is what I'd suggest (unless you can get a room with a view of both sides). But, if you want to stay on your balcony I'd say stay on the starboard side, that is where I saw all the whales in Glacier Bay. My mother went the next year after me and all the whales she saw were on the starboard side also. The glacier is visible on either side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

I just noticed that no one has answered this question. You can call Princess and change to any other available cabin in the same category with no change in price or perks.

I’ll add, if you booked with a TA or CVP  then call them to change the cabin, not PCL.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I agree that aft cabins would be best, but unfortunately a few other people had the same idea and they are all sold! We currently have an aft side cabin on deck 10, where all the available cabins seem to be. Why is that, what have I missed? The equivalent cabin on starboard is also available so I could switch. Things to think about!

17 hours ago, Bedruthen said:

This is the cruise map

They may or may not follow that cruise map in regards to the inside passage routes, depending on winds, tides, waves, weather, and what the navigator had for breakfast. You might even get lucky and travel the Johnstone Straight and Seymour Narrows on the way tp Victoria if on a grand class (I think you are on the Crown, which qualifies as grand class for this). My Alaska cruise last may on the Crown had  reversed the around Vancouver Island vs the Johnstone Straight/Seymour Narrows part of the cruise compared to the cruise map.

• Like 1

We sailed Sapphire Princess in early September on the inside passage.  We had a balcony on the port side and felt like we missed nothing.  Most of the way, there is land on both sides.  For Hubbard Glacier, we had an excellent view, but the both sides had their opportunity.  Likewise, College Fjord was enjoyable from both sides of the ship.  I think Starboard has better views when docked, however.

• Like 1

We were on the starboard side for this summer's Alaska trip. When docked at ISP, we were facing out towards the water. Because there are so many whales near this port, we were able to do watching from our balcony. Though I don't know if the ship is always facing the same direction when docked (or at the same dock).

• Like 2

We have been to Alaska many times, always on Princess.  If you have a balcony, the starboard side is great.  I always get up early and watch the sunrise over the mountains from our balcony as we enter Glacier Bay.  It is so peaceful and always a highlight of our trip.

• Like 3