interior vs large interior vs obstructed OV

joannelj

Just to piggyback on what RuthC was saying - there would be no room at all for a mobility scooter and its occupant in Noordam #6015. Also, if the bed is made up as a double, there is no getting out of bed by the side - it is a very narrow space. You need to be agile enough to shimmy down and get out at the foot of the bed.

1 hour ago, joannelj said:

First time on HAL, and as I was booking I found the room types confusing.  I'm okay with interior - I'm not worried about a view.  But the prices on the large and OV rooms was not a lot more than the interior, and I thought some extra space would be nice.

And that's when I got confused.

A basic interior is listed as Approximately 141-284 sq. ft.  The large interior is listed the same, 114-284.  The OV is Approximately 169-267 sq. ft.

So...  is there really that wide a range in the basic interior?  How much bigger is the large interior?  The OV is both larger and smaller than the interior, depending on which side of the range you look at.  So, in reality is it bigger than the Large interior?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search but was using my mobile, and really didn't find anything.

I've sailed RCCL, NCL, and CCL, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade to HAL!

Thanks,

JoAnne

It depends a lot on the ship, but generally-

Inside cabins are small, but not nearly as small as NCL or RCL. There is space to move around, and a chair and table, but no couch. A LARGE interior is the biggest cabin you can get below a suite level. Lots of space, lots of closet, a big L- shaped sofa. You can entertain in your room, if you want.

OV’s have more space than a small interior - with table, chair and love seat/ small couch. They are much smaller than a large interior. Depending on the ship, obstructed OV may feature a floor to ceiling window overlooking a lifeboat. The degree of obstruction varies cabin to cabin, but worst case scenario you still get lots of natural light. They are identical to a Verandah cabin, without the verandah.

• Like 3

Horizon Chaser - thank you for that easy to understand answer!  It looks like a large interior is definitely what I really want.  Now I just need to see if my traveling companions are game to spend a little extra.

Thanks everyone for all the input - I've learned a lot today!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, joannelj said:

Now I just need to see if my traveling companions are game to spend a little extra.

If you have traveling companions (plural) sharing your inside cabin, you absolutely want to have one on Main Deck of your chosen ship. 
It is the only cabin where there will be enough space for that many people. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RuthC said:

If you have traveling companions (plural) sharing your inside cabin, you absolutely want to have one on Main Deck of your chosen ship. 
It is the only cabin where there will be enough space for that many people. 

No, I have 2 friends booking a separate cabin. But the availability of the large and small cabins isn’t in the same location. So either I talk them into a big cabin, or we don’t worry about being near each other, or I suck it up in a small cabin.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joannelj said:

No, I have 2 friends booking a separate cabin. But the availability of the large and small cabins isn’t in the same location. So either I talk them into a big cabin, or we don’t worry about being near each other, or I suck it up in a small cabin.  

There are some adjoining large inside cabins - that would be a pretty nice setup - a ton of space.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joannelj said:

Horizon Chaser - thank you for that easy to understand answer!  It looks like a large interior is definitely what I really want.  Now I just need to see if my traveling companions are game to spend a little extra.

Just make sure before booking to see what is above your cabin. If it is one of the music venues, you will hear the music and in particular the bass until after 11 am.

• Like 3

I was on the Eurodam in March traveling solo and, for the first time, booked an obstructed oceanview. I loved it.  So much so, that when on the Zuiderdam in June I booked another obstructed oceanview.  I know there isn’t more room square-footage wise but it just seems bigger because of the layout. If you look at the deck plan you can usually find one with a bit of a view between the lifeboats. In June I happened to be in a room where the lifeboat was used as a tender, so on tender days I had a lovely view (see 1st picture) Even when the lifeboats are in place there is still plenty of light coming in because of the floor to ceiling window.

IMG_3972.jpeg

IMG_3971.jpeg

• Like 2

I booked my first and last….NEVER AGAIN!!!! Interior cabin on the Nieuw Statendam   #10050 last summer. ,  traveling solo, thought I’d save a little.  It was fine for the first week and a half when I could leave the room, although I could not imagine sharing with another adult.  There was no chair, only the square box thingy stool that fits under the minuscule desk.  

Midway through the second week, I got Covid and was quarantined….not sick, fortunately, but trapped in a teeny, dark, dungeon…no natural light or place to sit except on the bed…no place to eat my meals or put the room service tray,.no fresh air at all.  So, never again for me!

I should add that in 2021 I spent 10 days quarantined in a sheltered balcony cabin on the Queen Mary isolation floor, and the fresh air and chance to see Norway even when I was not allowed to visit it was much better for my mental health. I had a sofa to sit on and a larger desk plus coffee table to use for meal trays. Plus I got to wave to my husband as he went off on shore excursions.  He never  got Covid and stayed in our original balcony room.

so, just in case, and until Covid is completely a thing of the past, no interiors for me!

Barbara M. In NH

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, joannelj said:

Or, if your cruise is far out enough, you could look at booking the smaller interior, then getting Club Orange and using the free cabin upgrade to get the larger interior.  Club Orange is capacity controlled so you would need to check with your TA or HAL if it was still available for your cruise.

In 2009 I sailed Oosterdam in an OV cabin.  It had a couch, but because of a post in one wall the beds couldn’t be moved all the way apart, so it was a bit crowded, even though I was solo.  The beds were under the window and the night stand so deep that you really couldn’t see much out of the window.  It was lean way over and have a backache.  In 2010 I did a Collectors cruise on Westerdam with a friend and booked an inside gty.  I got assigned K1116.  OMG the space!  All for me!  So two years later I am cruising from Venice with my sister on another Collectors cruise.  I specifically booked the same K1116, on Nieuw Amsterdam.  Would book it again in a heartbeat.  EM

• Like 3

On 10/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, joannelj said:

So...  is there really that wide a range in the basic interior?

On the Pinnacle ships at least, I've seen 3 sizes of interior rooms: small, sideways inside rooms that are slightly less small, and mobility rooms (somewhat larger). We were once assigned a mobility inside cabin, and it felt huge. We didn't find, however, that it affected our cruise enjoyment much. 

56 minutes ago, robotpony said:

On the Pinnacle ships at least, I've seen 3 sizes of interior rooms: small, sideways inside rooms that are slightly less small, and mobility rooms (somewhat larger). We were once assigned a mobility inside cabin, and it felt huge. We didn't find, however, that it affected our cruise enjoyment much. 

Agreed.  We’ve been assigned mobility cabins and they do seem bigger.   We’ve stayed inside up to  veranda and everything between….never makes a difference on how much we enjoy the cruise.  In fact we rarely use the balcony because we prefer to be out on deck - better views of both sides of the ship and it is always fun to meet new people. 

10 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

In fact we rarely use the balcony because we prefer to be out on deck - better views of both sides of the ship and it is always fun to meet new people. 

For warmer itineraries our lifehack is to book an inside cabin and a cabana, which is usually cheaper than a veranda room. You get an outdoor private space with service, and a nice, dark, quiet room to sleep in.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Avery's Gram said:

I booked my first and last….NEVER AGAIN!!!! Interior cabin on the Nieuw Statendam  

I don't blame you one bit. 

The vast majority of my many cruising days have been spent happily in an inside cabin. But never, under any circumstances, would I ever consider booking an inside on any of the Pinnacle class ships. 
Even as a solo I consider those cabins to be too small for any enjoyment whatsoever. 

The smallest I would go on a Pinnacle ship is a balcony cabin. There is that big of a difference between the insides on the various classes of ships. 

• Like 2

If you go to the cruise deck plans website, there's a key at the bottom of each deck plan that indicates which cabins have sofas - you want to look for a room that has a circle or a square symbol to get a cabin with a sofa. Some interiors have one of the "sofa" symbols, some don't. Hope that helps!

• Like 4