Visa Requirement

stevenr597

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on Regal Princess, October 9, 2023. Trans-Atlantic from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.

We are American Citizens and hold valid U.S. Passports.

We just received an E-Mail from Princess about “Visa Requirements”

As I noted, we are American Citizens and are traveling from the United States, specifically Orlando, Florida.

Do we need a visa?  Does this apply to us.

Thanks for the help. 

6 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on Regal Princess, October 9, 2023. Trans-Atlantic from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.

As I noted, we are American Citizens and are traveling from the United States, specifically Orlando, Florida.

Thanks for the help. 

Could you cut and paste here what the email said?  Block out any personal information.

UNITED STATES VISA/ESTA REMINDER
As a reminder, A United States visa is required for certain nationalities. If you are an eligible passport holder from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country, you will be able to enter/exit the U.S. without a visa provided you are in possession of a biometric passport AND pre-register online for the VWP through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

ESTA applications may be made online at: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ and, if required, must be completed at least 72 hours before you board your cruise. We ask that you bring a printout of your approved application, or a digital copy including the ESTA number to cruise check-in to speed immigration processing. Please note that if you have traveled to Cuba since January 2021, you will require a full visa and will not qualify for an ESTA.

Guests must provide the required documentation prior to embarkation, and those who do not present ESTA or the necessary visas may be denied boarding.

12 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Thanks for the help. 

England, Portugal, Spain, France and to FLL.  No visa for US Citizen.  2024 we will need one.

4 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:
UNITED STATES VISA/ESTA REMINDER
As a reminder, A United States visa is required for certain nationalities. If you are an eligible passport holder from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country, you will be able to enter/exit the U.S. without a visa provided you are in possession of a biometric passport AND pre-register online for the VWP through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

ESTA applications may be made online at: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ and, if required, must be completed at least 72 hours before you board your cruise. We ask that you bring a printout of your approved application, or a digital copy including the ESTA number to cruise check-in to speed immigration processing. Please note that if you have traveled to Cuba since January 2021, you will require a full visa and will not qualify for an ESTA.

Guests must provide the required documentation prior to embarkation, and those who do not present ESTA or the necessary visas may be denied boarding.

That’s the general terminology for those citizens visiting the US under the Visa Waiver Program.  That’s not you.  You are both US citizens holding US passports.

They repeat this for those that might be affected.  They have to fill out a form before traveling to the US.

Have a great trip. We love TA’s.  

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

If you're a US citizen you do not need a visa to enter the country.

That is what I always thought and believed.  I was puzzled that Princess sent me that notification, they clearly have all my information including U.S. Passport on file.  When I called Princess they told me to call CIBTVISAS  which is a private Visa Company. 

Edited by stevenr597
Spelling, adding several words

18 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

That is what I always thought and believed.  I was puzzled that Princess sent me that notification, they clearly have all my information including U.S. Passport on file.  When I called Princess they told me to call CIBTVISAS  which is a private Visa Company. 

Those who have been following closely the postings here on Cruise Critic have seen a tremendous rise in "mistakes" made by the Princess IT department.  It should come as no surprise (sadly) that we take communications from Princess such as this with a HUGE grain of salt.  Ronald Reagan once said..."Trust, but verify!"

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

That is a very generalized email sent to all guests on this TA cruise.  Ignore it for yourself.

Same information given on the travel summary when they refer to  visas.

• Like 1

As a U.S. Citizen with a U.S. Passport, you do not ETSA to enter the U.S.A.--it's your home country.  This is a generic e-mail that Princess sends to all passengers.  I guess Princess is crossing their "t"s and dotting their "i"s when it comes to informing passengers.

The airlines have a similar warning that pops up when making direct reservations involving travel to the U.S.  The warning shows up during the booking process regardless of what passport you hold.  The airlines only drop it once you enter a valid U.S. passport as your travel doc.

16 minutes ago, katmigordon said:

Closed Loops from and to the US can still be done with birth certificates right?

In most cases from/to the same US port, yes but it is dependent upon the countries on the itinerary.   Some of the smaller Caribbean island countries (Martinique, Guadeloupe, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, and St. Bart’s) require a passport.  Cruise lines can set even stricter requirements (everyone must have a passport) although I've never heard of Princess doing so.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

In most cases from/to the same US port, yes but it is dependent upon the countries on the itinerary.   Some of the smaller Caribbean island countries (Martinique, Guadeloupe, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, and St. Bart’s) require a passport.  Cruise lines can set even stricter requirements (everyone must have a passport) although I've never heard of Princess doing so.

We're doing Mexican Rivera and wont be getting off the ship.

Just now, katmigordon said:

We're doing Mexican Rivera and wont be getting off the ship.

If a country requires a passport it doesn’t matter whether you get off the ship or not.  But the good news is, as I understand it, that itinerary doesn’t require a passport.

• Like 1