What to Expect on an MSC Cruise

chobo2

Hi

I am looking at MSC cruises but hearing mixed things about it. I been on Holland America and NCL and loved both of them. 

I am looking at a cruise that would be on the "MSC MERAVIGLIA" and I got some questions of what is included and not included.

I see it has things like bowling allies, some rope walk and think a water slide. Is that all extra costs?

When going through the booking you can upgrade to some "Fantastica" package what includes "Specialty restaurants package exclusive pre cruise offer.".  Yet it does not tell me what it means. Is it like NCL where you get a couple times to go into the Specialty restaurants free of charge?

Two ports of call is Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve Bahamas and Nassue Bahamas.

I am not sure if these are like private beaches for the cruise line but how does it work? Is food there included or do you have to go back to the ship or pay? If you got the drinks package do you get drinks included? If you don't have the drinks package are there some basic drinks like juice and water?

I trying to figure out how that all works.

On the drinks package, I seen some offers that include it, yet it doubles the price of the cruise. I know on NCL I could deselect that but it won't let me on MSC. Is that no possible?

Finally I am not sure if this is a thing or if it is on all cruise lines but I remember I could book on NCL website and then move my booking to say Costco travel later and get their bonuses and the bonuses from NCL. Can that be still done?

15 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

Hi

I am looking at MSC cruises but hearing mixed things about it. I been on Holland America and NCL and loved both of them. 

I am looking at a cruise that would be on the "MSC MERAVIGLIA" and I got some questions of what is included and not included.

I see it has things like bowling allies, some rope walk and think a water slide. Is that all extra costs?

Bowling is extra the others are free

When going through the booking you can upgrade to some "Fantastica" package what includes "Specialty restaurants package exclusive pre cruise offer.".  Yet it does not tell me what it means. Is it like NCL where you get a couple times to go into the Specialty restaurants free of charge?

Fantastica does not include any specialty dining. MSC is broken up into tiers called experiences. The lowest is Bella. Basically Guaranteed cabins and your dinner time will be assigned once onboard. Next is fantastica where you choose your cabin and get to offer a preference of dining time, but not guaranteed. After that there’s Aurea when allows a choice of cabin in supposedly more desirable locations, access to the thermal suite for the duration of the cruise, my time dining, a priority line for embarkation. Lastly is the yacht club. This is a more elevated experience similar to the haven on NCL. A ship within a ship concept that includes darn near everything you can think of.

I am not sure if these are like private beaches for the cruise line but how does it work? Is food there included or do you have to go back to the ship or pay? If you got the drinks package do you get drinks included? If you don't have the drinks package are there some basic drinks like juice and water?

Ocean Cay is a private island marine conservation. It is beautiful food is included, and drink package and Wi-Fi both work there. Nassau is the capital of the Bahamas and possibly the busiest port in the Caribbean that any seasoned cruiser should be familiar with.

On the drinks package, I seen some offers that include it, yet it doubles the price of the cruise. I know on NCL I could deselect that but it won't let me on MSC. Is that no possible?

when booking on the MSc site there should be 2 options a cruise only fare and the drinks and Wi-Fi included fare that is more expensive. Select the first option if you don’t want the inclusions.

Finally I am not sure if this is a thing or if it is on all cruise lines but I remember I could book on NCL website and then move my booking to say Costco travel later and get their bonuses and the bonuses from NCL. Can that be still done?

You can book and transfer the booking within a short timeframe. However I would recommend starting with an agency. MSC is a very peculiar company to work with. 

Answers to your questions are in blue. Please if you book use the status of what ever cruise line or hotel chain that you have the highest status with for MSC’s status match program. It’ll get you a discount of a minimum 5%.

• Like 3

The above post answered your questions but I would like to add my thoughts.  I have sailed NCL.  I think you will enjoy MSC more than NCL.  It is a little different than American cruise lines.  The food is different but in a good way.  The service is excellent.   The vibe is a bit more sedate and upscale ( not as sedate as HAL, according to what I have heard and read ). The ships are decorated beautifully.  We were apprehensive before our first sailing but ended up very impressed.  We are really looking forward to our December cruise on the Seascape.  

3 hours ago, chobo2 said:

Hi

A really comprehensive look would be the YouTube VLOGS, just by searching MSC. BON VOYAGE.

10 hours ago, Tierun said:

Answers to your questions are in blue. Please if you book use the status of what ever cruise line or hotel chain that you have the highest status with for MSC’s status match program. It’ll get you a discount of a minimum 5%.

So Nassau is an actual town in the Bahamas that you would go look around and do stuff in?

I am still confused by Fantastica as it states

1 free cruise change**
Opportunity to choose the cabin and its location
Breakfast in cabin (free delivery)
Specialty restaurants package,
exclusive pre cruise offer available up to 2 days prior to embarkation

So what does that mean then with the Specialty restaurants package?

Yes I seen some places as an option not to book with drink package but I still would like the wifi, that is what is nice about NCL and most other you can pick and choose what you want and don't want.

So on their private beach is there any drinks you can get if you don't have the drink package without paying?

What is the cost of a drink usually $10USD? 

Also what do you mean they are a bit "peculiar company to work with".

I only have basic status on all other cruise lines as I only gone on 2 cruises total

9 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

So Nassau is an actual town in the Bahamas that you would go look around and do stuff in?

1 free cruise change**

Yes I seen some places as an option not to book with drink package but I still would like the wifi, that is what is nice about NCL and most other you can pick and choose what you want and don't want.

So on their private beach is there any drinks you can get if you don't have the drink package without paying?

What is the cost of a drink usually $10USD? 

Also what do you mean they are a bit "peculiar company to work with".

I only have basic status on all other cruise lines as I only gone on 2 cruises total

I'm going refer you to you tube for things to do in Nassau as well as what makes MSC different. 

The specialty dining package referenced is just a discount for pre purchases prior to boarding. 

You can choose to book either cruise only and then add the wifi after booking or book the drinks and wifi package no splitting the offer. Drinks are generally in that $10 range. Some premium options cost more. The private island will have the same free drinks that you will find onboard. 

When I mentioned MSC being peculiar, you have to understand that being an Italian cruise line they operate differently from other lines. It can be frustrating to deal the bureaucratic process. Also the customer service isn't the best, but the onboard experiences can be great. Please do watch videos and read up as much as possible prior to booking. People who don't do their research and understand the differences of MSC (especially outside of the Yacht Club) often end up turned off by their experience. 

28 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

1 free cruise change**

MSC has 4 levels - Bella, Fantastica, Aurea and Yacht Club.  Bella is the most basic and YC has the most benefits. 

With Fantastica, you get to choose your cabin location and dining time.  The Speciality Restaurant package just means that you can pre-book a package at a reduced rate from the onboard one (apparently this is not possible with a Bella booking).  There is also a discount on pre-booked Spa packages.  These benefits are also available when booking the 2 next levels. 

Edited by Beamafar

17 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Fantastica also includes free continental room service breakfast.

I thought it was only "free delivery", but you still have to pay for the food itself. Or am I wrong?

On the webpage it says: "

• Breakfast in stateroom (free delivery)

22 minutes ago, Dane1234 said:

I thought it was only "free delivery", but you still have to pay for the food itself. Or am I wrong?

On the webpage it says: "

• Breakfast in stateroom (free delivery)

The continental items like beverages, pastries, cereal, etc. are complimentary. You only have to pay for hot food.

22 hours ago, chobo2 said:

Nassau is a very popular town in the Bahamas- the capital, in fact. The port area itself is actually really nice, it's just be re-done and is clean and full of shops and some food\drink stands. Once you leave the port, you are in the actual town of Nassau, some of which can be a little rough around the edges, but there are plenty of places to check out. There is a beach very close to the port, as well. Google Nassau and watch some videos or read some reviews about different places to visit while you are there. We just went to Nassau last week and took a ferry to an island called Blue lagoon which is about a 20 minute boat ride to a very nice island with beaches, food and some animal excursions. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:26 AM, chobo2 said:

I chose the lowest base fare (Bella) which has none of the add-ons like drinks or internet. After booking, it gave me options to add each of those things individually. For my 7 day cruise (Northern Europe in December, I'm not sure if pricing is different based on itinerary and time of year), the internet package pricing is as follows (prices in USD):

Browse: $70 for one device, $126 for 2, $168 for 3, $196 for 4

Browse and Stream: $98 for one device, $189 for 2, $259 for 3, $322 for 4

21 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Nassau is a very popular town in the Bahamas- the capital, in fact. The port area itself is actually really nice, it's just be re-done and is clean and full of shops and some food\drink stands. Once you leave the port, you are in the actual town of Nassau, some of which can be a little rough around the edges, but there are plenty of places to check out. There is a beach very close to the port, as well. Google Nassau and watch some videos or read some reviews about different places to visit while you are there. We just went to Nassau last week and took a ferry to an island called Blue lagoon which is about a 20 minute boat ride to a very nice island with beaches, food and some animal excursions. 

Did you take the ferry on your own instead of booking an excursion through the cruise? If yes, what was the cost of the ferry? Where did you meet the ferry? How did you book it?  And, how much was the eblntrance fee at Blue Lagoon? I'm asking these questions because I have gone there on a ship excursion in the past. If you did this on your own, I wonder how that compares in cost and ease. Thanks

4 hours ago, blueslily said:

Did you take the ferry on your own instead of booking an excursion through the cruise? If yes, what was the cost of the ferry? Where did you meet the ferry? How did you book it?  And, how much was the eblntrance fee at Blue Lagoon? I'm asking these questions because I have gone there on a ship excursion in the past. If you did this on your own, I wonder how that compares in cost and ease. Thanks

It's funny because we usually do excursions on our own, but we did book this through the cruise line, but very early and during a sale so it was a pretty good price. Plus it included lunch, which was big because it's expensive on the island to buy food.