Disembarking in Southampton

gdlamberth

We are scheduled to disembark Sirena in Southampton at 0800 on a Wednesday.  What experiences have folks had when disembarking carrying their luggage themselves?  In Papeete once we were allowed to disembark a bit after 0700 (carrying our own luggage) other times I've seen very close adherence to group disembarking times.  What been your experience in Southampton? Trying to schedule a car service as early as possible.

Thanks,

Greg

32 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

We are scheduled to disembark Sirena in Southampton at 0800 on a Wednesday.  What experiences have folks had when disembarking carrying their luggage themselves?  In Papeete once we were allowed to disembark a bit after 0700 (carrying our own luggage) other times I've seen very close adherence to group disembarking times.  What been your experience in Southampton? Trying to schedule a car service as early as possible.

Thanks,

Greg

You leave out an important item. Have you cleared English immigration before arriving in Southampton? 

We have disembarked three times there. Immigration Services were always either late arriving, slow processing, or both. They do an eye to eye on the ship. All those people insisting upon dragging their luggage creates a cluster. I would never haul my luggage off there again. Once was enough.

• Thanks 1

On both of our British Isles cruises the last as recent as September, our final port of call was Portland, England.  The September cruise we disembarked in Portsmouth with no Immigration processing required.  Our first cruise we disembarked in Southhampton with no Immigration processing required and walked off with our luggage with no difficulty; the purser's office (Reception) can advise what deck you should go to and as we recall, we arrived very early and easily walked off.  There were perhaps a dozen people waiting to do the same. 

26 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

with no Immigration processing required

Were these cruises which had started in the UK?

If not, then I am absolutely gobsmacked to read there were no procedures. It makes a complete mockery of government statements about checking who comes into our country. What an utter farce that would be. 

Of course, if the cruise had started here, then foreigners would have cleared Border Control when they first arrived in the country and would clear it again when they finally left. 

Edited by Harters

11 minutes ago, Harters said:

If not, then I am absolutely gobsmacked to read there were no procedures. It makes a complete mockery of government statements about checking who comes into our country. What an utter farce that would be.

Uh, hate to break this to you, but they don't seem to be doing whole lotta' checking.  At the end of August, we took the ferry from Ouistreham to Portsmouth and the French provided an exit stamp.  However, nobody checked or stamped our passports when we arrived.  When we went back to France as part of the cruise, there were no entry/exit stamps by either country and, when we went back to the UK - again, as part of the cruise - nothing was stamped.  The next stamp was in Ireland and, after that, absolutely nothing, including the US and Canada.

Despite the lack of stamps, I'm going to guess that all of these governments are keeping tabs on who's coming & going from their shores. (Or maybe my tin foil hat's a bit too snug?)

2019 we disembarked in Southampton

we had to do F2F with the officials  we had just come from stops in France  so maybe that was the  reason

On Marina  the line went from the  lounge down to the aft elevators & back out to the foyer   it was about 9 am by the time the line ended  but we were staying in SOU so just waited  on the side until the line was short

YMMV

1 hour ago, gdlamberth said:

Our cruise is from Oslo to Southampton. The last stop immediately before Southampton is Bruges though prior to that we will have stopped in Edinburgh, Scotland.

If this cruise is August ‘24, we’ll see you on board! Are you going directly to Heathrow?

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Were these cruises which had started in the UK?

Of course, if the cruise had started here, then foreigners would have cleared Border Control when they first arrived in the country and would clear it again when they finally left. 

Yes both cruises started in England (embarked in Southampton and then, Portsmouth).

1 hour ago, SophieM said:

If this cruise is August ‘24, we’ll see you on board! Are you going directly to Heathrow?

Yes that's our cruise sailing on August 10th disembarking August 28th . There's a roll call for this Cruise also if you're interested . Actually trying to see if we can make a flight out of Gatwick at 12:50. If that turns out to be too risky then we will be going direct to get to Heathrow from Southampton Cruise terminal terminal

Edited by gdlamberth

17 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Yes that's our cruise sailing on August 10th disembarking August 28th . There's a roll call for this Cruise also if you're interested . Actually trying to see if we can make a flight out of Gatwick at 12:50. If that turns out to be too risky then we will be going direct to get to Heathrow from Southampton Cruise terminal terminal

We’ll look forward to meeting you on board. I’ll head over to the roll call now. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 4:18 AM, Tranquility Base said:

Does anyone have the address for the port / dock which Oceania may use please ?

Something to use for our car service pick up point.

Thanks.

You may find this link useful (but it only goes up to March 2024 at the moment):

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

• Thanks 1