Sign of things to come??

alfredo1

We’ve missed the AzAMazing Evenings on two of our cruises this year because I’ve been having some foot problems and am having difficulty walking (especially on cobblestone or marble). In July, we missed the one in Ephesus and this past week we missed the one at the fort in Dubrovnik. While I’ve enjoyed the ones we’ve attended, some of the venues are not conducive to older people. Of course, there appeared to be a lot of people in their 30’s and 40’s on last week’s cruise too, as well as some teenagers and a couple of 8 year olds.

Perhaps someone "currently on board" could ask the hotel director, at one of his/her Q&A sessions, which occur on almost every cruise,  about the future of Azamazing Evenings given the recent  inconsistent history ...??   (and, please, post the answer here!)

On 10/12/2023 at 6:08 AM, hamrag said:

Back in May, Croatia Intensive, our scheduled Az Evening was to be in an iconic castle in Dubrovnik. The day prior we received a letter announcing that 'due to forecast adverse weather conditions....etc' the troupe would come onboard and perform in the Show Theatre. The weather was very good, and no-one we spoke to onboard had seen the alleged weather forecast!

Whilst the show was excellent, it would have generated so much more authenticism in the castle originally intended. It seemed clear to me that they hadn't worked out the logistics of getting 500+ guests onto tenders and ferrying us each way to the harbour!  

It was a beautiful clear evening, and we watched the tender return to the Harbour with the troupe members, and their equipment, sail off on calm seas to the harbour! Poor from Az IMHO.

I, too,  was on a cruise in May when the show at a castle up the hill in Dubrovnik was moved to the ship, so it was probably the same cruise/ Azamazing evening that you referred to. After they told us that they might have to move the venue due to a wet forecast, I followed the weather forecast on my phone. Yes, indeed, there was a good possibility of rain. The ship can't wait until the last minute to make a call on an event involving the entire ship. I remember that they told us that the walk to the venue would be dangerous if the ground was wet. I don't like those marble walkways in Dubrovnik because, while they are beautiful, they are very slippery even when they are dry. I was very glad that they moved it to the ship. I viewed it as the correct decision. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DS said:

Perhaps someone "currently on board" could ask the hotel director, at one of his/her Q&A sessions, which occur on almost every cruise,  about the future of Azamazing Evenings given the recent  inconsistent history ...??   (and, please, post the answer here!)

You aren't going to get an accurate or consistent answer from that source. 

Phil 

• Like 5

My overall feeling is that the Azamazing Evenings will continue. I think Azamara have made such a name for themselves with them they'd be crazy to drop them. We have already been advised of one for our Japan cruise next year. This isn't to say that maybe some will evolve into onboard experiences as needs dictate. 

They must take an awful lot of organisation to run smoothly. I've been to a lot of Azamazing Evenings. Some are more memorable than others, but from my own perspective I'd be sorry to see them go. I always enjoy them. 

Phil 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Interesting that our next but one cruise in February 24 has recently had an Azamazing event added. The cruise is Cape Town to the canaries & they’ve added an event in Walvis Bay which involves a drive into the Namib desert to hear African music & dancing. 

That is the exact same one that had been scheduled (for months) on our Canaries to Cape Town sailing next month.  We were informed that it would not occur and was being changed to an onboard event (they emailed us 2 weeks ago).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

That is the exact same one that had been scheduled (for months) on our Canaries to Cape Town sailing next month.  We were informed that it would not occur and was being changed to an onboard event (they emailed us 2 weeks ago).

We’ll have to see if that happens to ours too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DS said:

I was just on the Pursuit for 19 nights. There were no Q & A’s held, and I saw the HD 3 times the entire cruise.

• Thanks 1

Earlier in this thread I remarked that I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to attend our AzAmazing evening (second one on my BTB). Well, I was able to make it and it was truly a special experience in Thessaloniki. A musical event with orchestral and choral music held at a local university.

Based on comments given during the introduction, Azamara seems committed to continue these events.

IMG_0560.thumb.jpeg.2ccc6c04d0b4a24481bc497755043de0.jpeg

IMG_0559.thumb.jpeg.5c4396c0248a84d6ff9547b5bbe0ca43.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

It is frustrating that they advertise them and then take them away. My recent Azamara cruise had an AzAmazing evening, then it was quietly removed, then quietly readded, and then removed with no notice- I didn't find out until I was onboard and asked. It was replaced with one of the onboard performances (in Marseille) which was fine, at best.

• Thanks 1

On my September b2b cruises, both Azamazing Evenings were on shore. One was in Dubrovnik and the other in LaValleta, Malta. Both venues were fabulous and logistics smooth. More than six hundred guests were transported by tender in Dubrovnik and coach in Malta. These were my 11th and 12th Azamara cruises and only a couple of Azamazing evenings have been held on board, and they were good as well. My 13th Azamazing Evening will be in May, 2024 in İstanbul at Basilica Cisterns; another spectacular venue. 
The only change I’ve seen is that we no longer find a little, commemorative treat in our cabin when we return. 

Melissa

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just off pursuit. The event in in Ephesus was phenomenal.
they did a great job helping those who needed a bit of extra help getting to and from the venue.  

I completely respect those who are frustrated because their limited physical abilities restrict what they can do, but on the other hand it’s not really fair to everyone else to not have an event because a single passenger has a limitation that does not allow them to attend.  

I don’t think there was anyone on the ship who could not attend the event if Ephesus as you could use a wheelchair over the rough surface if you were ok with a rough bumpy ride and I did see a few people taking assistance to get to and from

one might need help from travel companion staff or fellow pax, but if one asked I am sure they could get it. 

this is better than situation at tender ports where if you are fully wheelchair bound you can disembark in most cases. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ithikan said:

I'm so glad you enjoyed your Ephesus event!  We had one of the earliest, in 2014 perhaps?  And it was pure magic.

The venue is amazing in itself, but it does depend on the entertainment to add to it as well. Last time we were there in July it was a group who had been heavily affected by the Turkish earthquake. Whilst my heart goes out to them and what they have achieved I thought the evening was a bit sombre. The previous couple of times it was classical orchestral and that was magical. 

Phil 

• Like 1