MSC Meraviglia 10/4/2023.

mec0920

Photos at end! 
NYC-NYC 11 night Canada and New England 

Room Category: Bella Balcony  

In-depth Overview:

Launched in 2017, the MSC Meraviglia offers a luxurious sea journey. Designed to comfortably house just over 4,500 guests, she stands as a testament to modern cruise luxury. My cruise had just over 3,700 guests and I can’t imagine a full ship. With its mid-tier/low end price point, the allure of the Meraviglia is undeniable.

Food:

The culinary experience aboard MSC has often been a topic of intense debate. Before embarking, I diligently read reviews and was slightly apprehensive. But, to my pleasant surprise, the Meraviglia surpassed my expectations. It’s distinct European dining style and service were both noticeable and delightful. The marketplace buffet presented a myriad of options from breakfast to dinner. Special mention goes to the daily handcrafted mozzarella and pizzas that could easily compete with authentic Italian establishments. However, the buffet had its shortcomings: notably, the limited beverage stations and a somewhat chaotic salad area. The main dining room was comparable to many other mid tear lines. Overall, the food/dining experience was above average. My guess is, with this ship sailing out of NYC and MSC inviting lots of travel agents and VIP’s, the food quality and service has been stepped up.
SCORE 18/20

Service:

The service on the MSC Meraviglia can best be described as "European." As MSC tries to make its mark in the US market, this service style may be both its strength and weakness. While many cruise lines pride themselves on their effusive staff, the crew here seemed reserved, focusing more on tasks. They were efficient, no doubt, but lacked the warmth I've experienced elsewhere. My room, for instance, was immaculate, but the attendant rarely engaged in pleasantries.
 The staff at the guest service desk was pretty much useless in solving or answering any questions or concerns.
SCORE: 12/20

Comfort:

The Meraviglia shines when it comes to comfort. My standard balcony cabin was spacious and well-appointed. There were both American and European outlets, perfect for international travelers. The medium-firm bed was a welcome retreat, although the pillows could use an upgrade. The room also featured a convertible sofa, but the balcony seating was a letdown, lacking proper back support. The bathroom was stocked well, but the absence of certain amenities like conditioner was felt. Noise insulation was average, but the ship's layout ensured smooth passenger flow.

SCORE: 18/20

Value for Money:

Despite its competitive price, I found myself questioning the Meraviglia’s value proposition. Brands like Carnival, in my experience, offer superior service, organization, and overall cohesion. The Meraviglia’s potential is evident, but certain glaring issues overshadow its value.

SCORE: 10/20

Cleanliness and Upkeep (Including Safety):

On closer inspection, the Meraviglia’s maintenance seemed lacking. For a relatively new ship, the signs of wear and neglect were concerning. Issues like peeling paint and cockroaches in the pools were hard to ignore. The overall cleanliness appeared superficial, with dirty common area windows and smudged balcony panes marring the experience. From a safety perspective, while the lifeboats and equipment seemed up to standard, the ship's chaotic organization raised concerns about its emergency readiness. I'm hesitant to recommend the Meraviglia purely from a safety standpoint.
 As a Commercial Pilot, my “preflight” walk around of the ship fails. With emergency exits being blocked and as mentioned above, the complete lack of organization. This ship would no doubt struggle handling a real emergency.
SCORE: 8/20

Matthew's Mark Total Score: 66/100 D+

Other notes:

Multilingual Announcements:
 One distinct aspect of the MSC Meraviglia experience is its commitment to catering to an international audience. This was evident in the ship's announcements, which were made in six different languages. While this approach is undoubtedly inclusive, it came with its own set of challenges. The continuous repetition of announcements in various languages became a point of annoyance over time. Instead of brief, succinct notifications, passengers often found themselves waiting for the cycle of languages to complete. This constant barrage, especially during relaxing moments or activities, disrupted the ambiance and became a tad intrusive.

Entertainment: Room for Improvement
. A vital aspect of any cruise experience is the entertainment on offer, and this is an area where the MSC Meraviglia falls notably short. The main theater shows, which should be the crown jewels of evening entertainment, unfortunately, felt reminiscent of high school productions. Both in terms of production value and performance quality, the shows lacked the finesse and polish one would expect on a luxury cruise liner. The talent, though evident, seemed under-directed or perhaps under-rehearsed. Sets and costumes, too, were lackluster, failing to capture the grandeur or sophistication typical of major cruise line productions. For those seeking Broadway-caliber entertainment at sea, the Meraviglia’s offerings might come as a disappointment.

IMG_3835.thumb.jpeg.db63ae2e1124c1d56164c4555edd95f7.jpegIMG_3838.thumb.jpeg.e2ccc6e825a63646c4c32d3c1f356642.jpegIMG_3839.thumb.jpeg.cbc43433f82e013600306eb42df0f06e.jpegIMG_3840.thumb.jpeg.bd9e0f5681f598c6439bdc59fd7cf9af.jpegIMG_3841.thumb.jpeg.c6d917383551e65d03a74d0700f9f37e.jpegIMG_3791.thumb.jpeg.1ce817dfd5f882356817bcd9405691b5.jpegIMG_3775.thumb.jpeg.53703046ac4346ff5b2d7cb724c3a1e6.jpegIMG_3849.thumb.jpeg.79e7d805f224807d22189a770131b98b.jpegIMG_3850.thumb.jpeg.238c3029e48fa64905c3b8410366cfbc.jpegIMG_3851.thumb.jpeg.e436a6bdc635ae2d1fd5c2fbd742efce.jpegIMG_3852.thumb.jpeg.ce0f55db86eed1243c2877e15c45afbe.jpegIMG_3853.thumb.jpeg.f7d884e4a44703f4090fb6516c8abe55.jpeg

Edited by mec0920
M
  • Thanks 1

• mec0920 changed the title to MSC Meraviglia 10/4/2023.

All of these photos look like they were purposely sought out. A photo of two flies? Really?? It’s a ship constructed of steel in the middle of an ocean of salt water. Rust and leaks will always be a constant battle, it doesn’t matter if it’s a new or an old ship. Just be happy you’re on a cruise and have a good time 🥰.

• Like 2

@BoJingles I wish they were flys. Purposely sought out? This is a REVIEW. Clearly your standards for vacation/safety are very low. You also obviously haven’t sailed on other cruise lines with high standards for there ships, ex Royal, Celebrity and NCL.  

IMG_3854.thumb.png.1797d3a91faecdf81a95650c3a80e333.png

I'm not sure what you're showing in a few pics... the sand bags? It looks like they obviously had a flood or leak of some sort and the sandbags are to keep water out. And the lifeboat is a little dirty... I was just on Oasis and can show you the exact same stuff if I searched it out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mec0920 said:

@BoJingles I wish they were flys. Purposely sought out? This is a REVIEW. Clearly your standards for vacation/safety are very low. You also obviously haven’t sailed on other cruise lines with high standards for there ships, ex Royal, Celebrity and NCL.  

IMG_3854.thumb.png.1797d3a91faecdf81a95650c3a80e333.png

Looks dead so that’s a good thing.  I’m guessing their extermination program is working.  Cockroaches can hitchhike onto ships with the food stores and passengers.  No ship is without them.

• Like 1

I guess let us know your next flight so we can evaluate the lavatory, seat pocket, tray table, and carpet.  We'll even throw in the lavatory smellometer reading.

I would agree blocking exits not good.

Edited by dexddd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

WOW, was it your goal to go and find all of that??  I was on the October 4th cruise and saw nothing like the pictures posted! 
True the return to ship was slow, but a lot I would attribute to passengers waiting until at the security to unload pockets, get room cards out, etc. (They do need more than one walk through scanner and they were sensitive)

I thought your comparison to Carnival for value for money was interesting.  I’ve sailed Carnival and MSC twice each since the restart. I had sailed Carnival prior. 
On Carnival, we were getting $100 per person with $200 on board credit and $200 freeplay deals. We paid taxes and port fees. 
When my friend and I were looking to take a cruise, we were looking at MSC free drinks and wifi promo or my $100 pp Carnival promo. Carnival was cheaper up front but once you factored in the drink package, they were essentially the same price. What sold it was they both stopped at a private island. On MSC drinks are included on the island. On Carnival they were not. So additional money. We opted for MSC. We found the same when booking a 7 days with friends. 

Honestly I found the food in the buffet and MDR on Carnival so terrible on my last two cruises. I do like the pizza (also love MSC) and the Blue Iguana so I don’t go hungry. But I have found I really wouldn’t be sailing Carnival if it wasn’t for the deals I was getting. My $100 deals seemed to have dried up and I can’t seem to justify the costs of a carnival cruise now. I feel their quality has gone down quite a bit. 

I will say the beds on Carnival are much more comfortable. 

I do find people feel the service is different on MSC.  From what I’ve read it’s more European style. So your cabin stewards aren’t always out and around and chatting. They aren’t over the top friendly. I think a lot of people consider that lower service. I just think it’s a different expectation. 

What did you think of the itinerary? 

I have been on around 10 cruises over 11 with MSC and only ever found 1 piece of rust, on the Divina.

Even the Armonia was spotless. MSC treat their ships like the asset they are to a shipping company.

However, I am glad that you are so consensus as a pilot.

Your marks, 14/20 !!!!